Author Topic: Favorite games  (Read 9797 times)

Offline HavocReaper48

• The Falcon Punch Master
  • Donkey Kong Wiki Staff
  • Orly?
    • View Profile
Favorite games
« on: December 07, 2010, 04:30:20 AM »
There was a thread like this on DKC Atlas and I'm surprised I haven't seen one yet here:

Though the numeral scores vary, this is based on how much I personally like them as opposed to my scale rating of 1-10. Subject to change.
[spoiler]1. Donkey Kong Country 2 - This is one of the most epic sequels ever. DKC2 not only accomplishes being a worthy sequel, but being even more greater than the original (if only by a slightly margin).  Fantastic, tons of challenge and more depth than DKC1, huge feelings of accomplishment that were actually at times greater than DKC1'S. The gameplay innovations are great additions, the new animal buddies are cool too (but I miss Winky), and there's tons more collectibles. 10/10

2. Donkey Kong Country - everyone's absolute child favorite growing up. First game I ever played. Tons of memories from me, including that Poison Pond, and the mysterious orange life balloon on Trick Track Trek? Excellent gameplay, the graphics are bright and natural, really add to the feeling of the levels, the music is classic and you will always remember those mine carts. 9.99/10

2. Donkey Kong Country Returns - tied with original. Bring back the feel, music and the basics of Donkey Kong Country and make it awesome. From the SHOOOOORYUKEN! endings of levels to insane difficulties that only a true 'Country fan could face and laugh to, this game rocks. Of course, they left out fifty million things, but then again it's not Donkey Kong Country 4. Modern DKC = Win. 9.99/10

3. Super Street Fighter II - Another game from my childhood. This game MADE the fighting genre. And it sure made an impact. Truly unforgettable characters, moments, gameplay, and did I mention HADOKEN & SHOOOOORYUKEN!!!. Somewhat broken, when it comes to character balancing, but who cares? Good music and paved the way for every SF game after (though I prefer Super). 9.6/10

4. Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Undoubtedly the, if not one of, the best Wii games out there. True it's character balancing is a little bad (SNAKE? SNAAAKE!!!) and the items are cheap (fan?), but it's very awesome. Who doesn't want to Falcon Punch random Nintendo characters? Beating up those Nintendo guys (or Sonic/Snake) you grew up with is so satisfying given the roster and variety. Also, we got Sonic, who sounds excellent (and by that I mean minimum voice acting for him and everyone else but Snake with his codec),  and the incredible music as well. All it's missing really is a better wi-fi and DLC. 9.99/10

5. Ace Combat games released for PS2 - It's hard to narrow them down, so, instead they all get a share of the third spot - Ace Combat 04, AC5, ACZero. Ace Combat 04 was my first experience in the flight simulation genre and boy was it epic. Undeniably so. AC5, which I would not get until much later, blew me away with the re-defined everything. Tons of depth. Ace Combat Zero, not as much depth, focusing on the best improvements to gameplay and control. 9, 9.5, 9.5/10

6. Jak 3 - This is an awesome PS2 game, I highly recommend it for any PS2 owners. This game got rid of the teen emo-Jak we got from Jak II, made the difficulty less stupid, and gave it tons of depth. You don't die because of dumb time limits or give up due to unfair checkpoints, you die because you were not skilled enough to do the objective and there's more fairness around (though the control in some areas is questionable). Light Jak is an interesting element and Dark Jak is as good as ever, especially with the cheats that allow you infinite ammo and light/dark power. We got more guns, and it's not like CoD, it plays much like a platformer as well, not to mention an entire desert to explore. 9.7/10

7. Ratchet: Deadlocked - Remove Clank, make the game gladiator like, lower the crazy amount of guns and make an incredibly good online mode and you've got Ratchet: Deadlocked. To be honest, I thought this game was a great step in the right direction for the series. Fewer weapons means less time wasted training every single weapon (the amount of weapons you have dropped from like 20 in the last game to 11) and they're more straightforward. The multiplayer is very fun and addictive, it's great blasting through hordes of enemies with a friend. 9.5/10

8. Street Fighter Alpha - Take SF2, bring back the most important guys and music, add some new fighters and super combos and you've got a worthy successor to SF2. The music is awesome remixes of familiar tunes and the other fighters' music is great as well (seriously, look up this game's soundtrack) and the chain combo system is so satisfying. 9/10

9. Metal Gear Solid 2 - Though I have not played the original, MGS2 was still a great game for me. I had to adjust to the controls but after a while I got used to it. The plot of this game is large and has tons of plot twists. Stealth gameplay is challenging especially given some of the situations but fun. Even so I have died a number of times due to the controls even after I got used to it. Throughout most of the adventure you'll play as Raiden, though I did not mind. Overall I recommend the game for PS2 owners (I myself got it used for $5... pretty outdated, so?) 9.3/10

10. Final Fantasy IV DS - My first and favorite Final Fantasy game. I do not have many other FF games myself, this is the game that got me into it. The music is awesome, though the plot is, like most games in the series, a cut-and-paste story about... CRYSTALS! And the characters are decent when it comes to uniqueness and the enemies are a bit generic (stupid bats! and cats! and rats!) but overall the battle system is good, and is a large game for the DS. I recommend to any DS owner, it's worth a playthrough (speaking of which it has ones of those "new game +" things where it expects you to go through the entire game again but with your items and such). 9/10[/spoiler]
Honorable mentions: DKC3, Burnout 3, Monster Hunter, Lock's Quest, some Pokemon games

It was a top ten list, but of course, you don't need an in-depth list of 10+ games, ratings, etc. If you're feeling pressured of what games to put, you're putting to much thought into it, and remember there's honorable mentions.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 06:36:32 PM by HavocReaper48 »

Offline Tina

• WikiBound Staff
    • View Profile
    • WikiBound
Re: Favorite games
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 04:47:45 AM »
There was one for Nintendo games here, although I think that might've been Nintendo only...

If this thread stays, I'll reply to it in a moment. :P
WikiBound Editor-in-Chief

Offline HavocReaper48

• Donkey Kong Wiki Staff
  • Orly?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 04:55:47 AM »
It was intended for any games you've played as opposed to being limited to Nintendo, because Nintendo obviously can't top everyone. So limited choices if JUST Nintendo, at least for me.

Offline Tina

• WikiBound Staff
    • View Profile
    • WikiBound
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 05:18:36 AM »
Ah, okay. That's what I figured.

Hm, favorite overall games, huh...

Mother 3 definitely at the top. It is not going down any time soon. There's nothing I don't like about it! Just the right difficulty for me (I don't like things *too* difficult, although the bosses are long enough where it's a good wrassle), I love the characters, it's both hilarious and depressing (the end ALWAYS makes me cry really hard)... also for the fact that it always knows *precisely* the right way to cheer me up, no matter how down I feel. IT'S LIKE IT'S PSYCHIC OR SOMETHING.

Before I played that though, I also loved Apollo Justice quite a bit. Quotable defense attorneys with quirky magician assistance = YES. Animal Crossing (GC) is also a big favorite of mine for the heavy nostalgia factor to it... coming home from school, running over to the TV and turning on the Gamecube... :P
WikiBound Editor-in-Chief

Offline Maxite

• Icaruspedia Staff
  • Otaku Nut
    • View Profile
    • OtakuDeus
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 05:31:07 AM »
My favorite games?
PC: Creatures 2 (artificial life game)
Pokemon franchise: Platinum
Harvest Moon franchise: Rune Factory 2
Mario franchise: Wario Land

Honestly... I don't really have a favorite game overall.

Offline Naesala

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 08:40:23 PM »
So many but, Golden Sun, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Super Mario World and, Cubivore.

Offline Solar Dragon

• Solor Extraho
    • View Profile
    • Wikisimpsons
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 08:40:50 PM »
OK, sorry guys but a Nintendo game doesn't top the list for me:

1. Fable III - Great game, great storyline.
2. Super Smash Bros. Brawl - My all time favourite Wii game.
3. Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver - The nostalgia of the GB player in the game alone makes it worth it.
4. Fable II - Although not as good as its sequel, a pretty awesome game.
5. GTA IV - I love the GTA games.

Offline R7308xx

• The poison in your drink... whoops.
  • New and, unfortunately, improved.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 12:52:22 AM »
My list:

10. Okami (Wii)- Beautiful art styles, innovative controls, and humorous plotline make this a must-get.

9. F-Zero GX- Unbelievably difficult, great graphics, fun game. Good for anyone hardcore.

8. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask- Stunning. Wierd. Creepy. Surprising. One scary-ass game.

7. Sly 2: Band of Thieves- Come on, a game about mugging people and creeping around in the dark?

6. Professor Layton and the Curious Village- This game makes me feel good inside.

5. Super Mario Galaxy- BUY IT! No this isn't subliminal advertising.

4. Pokémon Emerald- The first RPG I ever played, the best in it's series.

3. Super Mario All-Stars+World- Some of the best 2-D platformers ever rolled into one.

2. EarthBound- Yes.

1. Mother 3-YES!!!
I blame the economy.

Offline TurtwigA

• Wiki editor
  • Why must the space not come?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 01:00:43 AM »
SPYRO: SEASON OF ICE
Donkey Kong 64 or Yellow, Red, or Blue (you should probably know the series)
Super Monkey Ball 2
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Canvas Curse

Please give me internets! So much less bulkier than those eggs.
tg.wikkii.com-My Touch! Generations Wiki
chibirobo.wikkii.com My Chibi-Robo! Wiki

Help spread the word about the word smorent! Definition: [smohrent] adj. fluffy. In a sentence: that bear is very smorent.

Offline Zesty Cactus

• Bulbapedia Staff
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 07:23:52 AM »
no particular order, but trying to keep the list short:

1. Pokémon Emerald Version
2. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
3. Spyro: Year of the Dragon
4. Sonic Adventure 2: Battle
5. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
6. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
7. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
8. Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs
9. Pokémon Red and Blue Versions
10. Monster Rancher Battle Card GB
11. Pokémon Trading Card Game
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 04:05:52 AM by Zesty Cactus »

Offline Mari-Illustrious-Makinami

• The First Children
  • Nintendo Master
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 01:13:41 PM »
1. GoldenEye 007 (Wii) and Tetris (DS)
2. Metal Gear Solid 3 (PS2)
3. Pokémon SoulSilver (DS)
4. Okami (PS2)
5. Super Mario 64 (N64)
6. Super Smash Bros. (N64)
7. Kirby 64 (N64)
8. GoldenEye 007 (N64)
9. Pokémon Blue (GB)
10. Osu! (PC)
11. The Sims 3 (PC)
12. SimCity IV (PC)
13. Team Fortress 2 (PC)
14. Portal (PC)
15. Wii Sports Resort (Wii)
16. Call of Duty - Modern Warfare (PC)
17. Perfect Dark (N64)
18. Metal Gear Solid (PS1)
19. Mischief Makers (N64)
20. Kirby Super Star Ultra (DS)
21. Super Mario World (SNES)
22. Kirby's Adventure (NES)
23. Chrono Trigger (SNES)
24. Grand Theft Auto - Chinatown Wars (DS)
25. Civilization II (PC)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 07:30:48 AM by Aiko-chan »

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 08:51:01 PM »
i don't think i could make a top 25...... too many games, and each one is tied with another one.

Good job with it.

Offline HavocReaper48

• Donkey Kong Wiki Staff
  • Orly?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 10:10:52 PM »
Again, this topic is just "favorite games", not "List your favorite games in order from x-y". List as many as you want.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 02:57:53 AM »
Again, this topic is just "favorite games", not "List your favorite games in order from x-y". List as many as you want.

I wasn't restricting anyone's style of there post, i was complementing the achievement of listing 25; something i would not be able to do.

Offline Maxite

• Icaruspedia Staff
  • Otaku Nut
    • View Profile
    • OtakuDeus
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 03:31:08 AM »
I'll add in some other favorites of mine.
Pokemon HeartGold (always loved Gen II games)
Rune Factory 3 (after playing this game, it is soo painful going back to playing the other games)
Lunicus: PC game I spent hours playing as a kid.
Sim City 2000: Best Sim City made, ever. I probably wasted weeks of my life playing this game alone.

Offline Mari-Illustrious-Makinami

• The First Children
  • Nintendo Master
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2011, 12:13:15 PM »
What's funny about my list is it really shows how much I love Nintendo, quite a few of those games either had or are going to have versions on Nintendo consoles or are based on a Nintendo game.

MGS3 is being remade to the 3DS
Okami was remade for the Wii
Osu! is a freeware PC version based on the game Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan for the DS
The Sims 3 console version is on the Wii and DS
They have SimCity games on various Nintendo consoles from the SNES to the Wii. (Don't think they had any on the GameCube)
Call of Duty 4 was remade on the Wii.
Metal Gear Solid was remade on the GameCube.
The Civilization series has games on Nintendo consoles.

In other words, the only games which I cannot link to a Nintendo console on that list are Team Fortress 2 and Portal.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2011, 07:28:18 PM »
What's funny about my list is it really shows how much I love Nintendo, quite a few of those games either had or are going to have versions on Nintendo consoles or are based on a Nintendo game.

MGS3 is being remade to the 3DS
Okami was remade for the Wii
Osu! is a freeware PC version based on the game Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan for the DS
The Sims 3 console version is on the Wii and DS
They have SimCity games on various Nintendo consoles from the SNES to the Wii. (Don't think they had any on the GameCube)
Call of Duty 4 was remade on the Wii.
Metal Gear Solid was remade on the GameCube.
The Civilization series has games on Nintendo consoles.

In other words, the only games which I cannot link to a Nintendo console on that list are Team Fortress 2 and Portal.

Indeed

Offline R7308xx

• The poison in your drink... whoops.
  • New and, unfortunately, improved.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2011, 09:43:20 PM »
I could make a Top 100 list of my favorite games, but that would take a long time.
I blame the economy.

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 09:57:47 PM »
ssbb, smb3, sports games, shooting games, flash games