Author Topic: Whatever happened to SEIWA?  (Read 29790 times)

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
Re: Whatever happened to SEIWA?
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2011, 10:49:31 PM »
Hello all!

So, we chose kingdomheartsdb by an overwhelming majority, and we would like to start getting the final preparations done.

However, it looks like porplemontage took the site down in the meantime, so I'm going to message him, and once the final setup is done, we'll be in business and we can start looking at an outreach program.

Thanks for all of your support, and God bless!

Woo! Thank you for Notifying us about this!  :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance:

Offline FlyingRagnar

• Dragon Quest Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • Dragon Quest Wiki
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2011, 07:52:57 PM »
Bump. 

I've been doing some research to catch up on where the discussions about SEIWA left off.  Here is what I have gathered:

• Kingdom Hearts moved from Wikia to Wikii.  They can now be found at khwiki.net
  • Final Fantasy Wiki decided not to move from Wikia.
  • Chronopedia, and Final Fantasy XI Wiki, despite showing support for SEIWA, have not moved away from Wikia

tacopill has done a great job of starting conversation between all the parties.  Unfortunately, it seems to me that FF Wiki staying has been a step backwards in the process.  If anyone has more information to share, please do so.

Offline FlyingRagnar

• View Profile
    • Dragon Quest Wiki
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2011, 06:01:19 AM »
I've been reading the discussion regarding SEIWA over on the FF wiki. (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/index.php?title=Forum:Proposal_to_Leave_Wikia).  I'll post my comments here as apparently the admins over there did not see fit to continue the conversation despite the fact that others might add to the discussion at a later date.

After reading the complete discussion, I have to say that with the attitude many of the contributors at the FF wiki have, I would not want them in SEIWA anyway.  There is a clear difference in their longterm goals and the goals of folks in NIWA.  I don't understand why they seem so fiercely defensive of a wiki they neither own nor make money on.  

Everyone knows what Wikipedia is.  Everyone knows that it is free.  Why is it that way?  Because the people that control it believe that information should be freely shared.  No one owns it.  Information should be used for the good of everyone.  Video game wikis contain information that is (arguably) less important than information on Wikipedia.  Yet, it is still information that should be free.  Most Wikipedia contributors do so in the interest of society as a whole.  I share the same view.  I contribute to video game wikis because they contain information which I both enjoy and consider important in preserving for the good of society.  I would say that NIWA seems to be pretty much inline with this view.  

Not so the FF wiki folks.  They seem concerned with "traffic", "hits", and "search engine rankings."  They care about convenience and whether someone will take advantage of their old wiki if they move.  They care about how much their wiki is worth.  

People have made a big deal of the changes Wikia has made over the years, most notably the different "skins" offered.  However, I think the real reason for all the issues with Wikia is one of principle.  Wikia exists to make money off the information they have.  This is their goal above all else.  Wikipedia, on the other hand, believes that the information itself is what is most important...and they have enough people that share this view to ensure it stays that way.  

Anyone who contributes information to a site with goals of making money, when it could just as easily be on a site where the information itself is most important is misguided in thinking they are doing what is best for both preservation of the content and the good of society.   Apparently the FF wiki doesn't mind helping Wikia make money, rather than taking a stand and saying that the content is too important to them to allow Wikia to be manipulating it for profit.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 06:08:03 AM by FlyingRagnar »

Offline BrandedOne

• Fire Emblem Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2011, 06:05:35 AM »
Props for that entire last message. Justifies my preference for independent wikis.

Bump. 

I've been doing some research to catch up on where the discussions about SEIWA left off.  Here is what I have gathered:

• Kingdom Hearts moved from Wikia to Wikii.  They can now be found at khwiki.net
  • Final Fantasy Wiki decided not to move from Wikia.
  • Chronopedia, and Final Fantasy XI Wiki, despite showing support for SEIWA, have not moved away from Wikia

tacopill has done a great job of starting conversation between all the parties.  Unfortunately, it seems to me that FF Wiki staying has been a step backwards in the process.  If anyone has more information to share, please do so.
You sure Kingdom Hearts is at Wikii? Because they don't have the button at the bottom of the page. I'm pretty sure they're independent.

Offline Miles of SmashWiki

• Sinister Trivia Villain
  • SmashWiki Staff
  • "Trying to seem mysterious is my hobby."
    • View Profile
    • AllisBrawl profile
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2011, 04:12:39 PM »
KHWiki is independent, hosted by porplemontage and is a NIWA affiliate.

Srsbsns is always lurking (?_?)

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2011, 09:23:35 PM »
Also, They are looking to finish the audit,before discussing what they think should be the next step.

Offline FlyingRagnar

• View Profile
    • Dragon Quest Wiki
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2011, 12:31:06 AM »
Apologies.  I do not know where I got that there were on Wikii.  I must have misread one of the discussion threads from the past months.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2011, 08:26:32 PM »
it is ok. We all make mistakes.  :).

In recent news, they have voted on their logo.

(Although, as far as i can tell, only one wiki participated in the discussion. Hopefully people from other wiki's are also active there.).

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2012, 03:44:46 AM »
*bumping*

Woo... haven't posted here in a while.

If you aren't aware, SEIWA has been launched! Please check them out at http://www.seiwanetwork.org/.

Thanks everyone.