NIWA Community > NIWA Discussion

Improving NIWA

(1/40) > >>

Xizor:
This thread differs from the suggestion thread in a very important way: this thread is to simply post ideas on how you think the staff can work to improve NIWA in fundamental ways, or to ask questions about things you think are fundamentally important to be answered.

Some basic guidelines for this thread:

- Respect is not an option. We as a staff work very hard to maintain not only NIWA, but our own sites as well. I personally am the Coordinator here, am a Bureaucrat at Zelda Wiki, and own Legendofzelda.com and manage it daily. I have a lot on my plate online, and that's not even counting things outside of the internet. I'm not the only one.
- Do not make demands or ask impatient questions. This goes along with the being respectful thing, but understand that just because you make a post in this thread does not mean that what you said should happen will happen. I imagine that if what you say we should do can't or won't be done, a reason will be given.
- Unless you are on Staff, please do not answer other people's questions. This will just lead to confusion if you end up being wrong, even if you know you know the answer. This thread is more about the Staff communicating with non-Staff than everybody, staff or not, giving ideas together. That's the Suggestions Thread.
- If you are posting about something you think is simply a problem that needs fixing, and have no viable solutions, do not make it an attack. Clearly state what you feel the problem is, and ask how to fix it. Let's try to make sure we only try to tackle one issue at a time.

I'm going to be very clear: If this thread becomes disrespectful, angry, or any form of unproductive or unruly, I will lock it and that will be the end of it. I hope, however, it does not come to that. I doubt it will. I just don't want to hear arguing later if it does, and I am forced to lock. As long as everybody, non-Staff and Staff alike, remain respectful and patient, this thread will be one of the best on the forum.

Now, let's get to talking.

Greenpickle:

--- Quote from: Xizor on December 14, 2010, 10:52:43 AM ---Respect is not an option.

--- End quote ---

This is a bit ambiguous, and confused me the first time I read it.

Something I'd like to see happen is for everything NIWA offers to be made easily accessible.  I  mean, there's a load of stuff hidden away in forums here and on various wikis - extensions, templates and the like - and it'd be great to have it on show.  And AFAICT, there still isn't a public list of contact information for those offering whatever skills they have to help NIWA wikis grow.

We need visitors to immediately see how wonderful collaboration between very individual wikis can be.

Axiomist:
Not a bad idea for a thread. I want people to answer the question: What changes would you make to NIWA if you were in total control? or something. One thing I had in mind was to find more ways to get non-staff involved in NIWA things.

I had a little year-end idea for a regular editor/niwa member to manage. It shouldn't be done by a wiki's staff, but I was thinking to have something like usual "Viewer's Choice Awards"; in which regulars nominate and vote on things like "Best Main Page", "Wiki of the Year", "Best NIWA template bar", "Best Logo", etc...

I'd expect tons of activity on that and hopefully some inspiration for the wiki staffs to make improvements. Or really get a good idea of what others like from the other wikis. I see it only leading to positive results.

Level 3:
I personally would like to know what exactly is potentially barring two wikis of the same series to join (i.e. two Pokemon Wikis)

TurtwigA:
By staff, do you mean all wiki staff and forum admins or just forum admins?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version