Author Topic: Is Peach a competent leader?  (Read 22358 times)

Offline Edofenrir

• Card Carrying Villain
  • Super Mario Wiki Staff
  • Still has some unfinished business to take care of
    • View Profile
Re: Is Peach a competent leader?
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2010, 02:25:47 AM »
I think she is not.

TO clarify, 100 mushroom coins dont make 99 beanbean coins ;) beanbean coins are worth much less than mushroom coins. When Prince Peasley says he will give 99,999,999,999 coins to Mario and Luigi, that makes around 99 mushroom coins :) Just clarifying

You have it wrong, Tucayo. It is actually the other way around.

Peasley makes a bet and offers Mario and Luigi 99,999,999,999 Mushroom Coins. Due to the exchange rate, this equals 99 Beanbean Coins. Remember, you pay everything in that game with Beanbean Coins.

So Mushroom Coins are worth much less than Beanbean Coins, not the other way around.  :P
"Will you stop?!!? What fools!
Haven't you begun to understand? The kingdom being ruined and us left in this state...
Isn't it petty, little battles like this that have caused it?
Believing in your friends and embracing that belief by forgiving failure...
These feelings have vanished from our hearts."
-Igos Du Ikana, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2010, 02:43:14 AM »
At a risk of creating addicts, this actually covered in a tvtope article. do i dare post it?

Offline onetwentysix

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2010, 10:13:25 PM »
Input Error. Answer is dependent on a subjective adjective. Rephrase for accuracy.

Competent compared to what? Bowser? Daisy? Zelda? Or the "real" world's rulers? Do you honestly expect a video game character to exactly match up to earth's standards exactly?

You're both full of c***.  She is almost always being captured, she has no army, and she has allowed mushrooms to evolve legs, faces, and sentience. Even when she isn't, she's constantly running off on some vacation.

For that matter, do we even know if she's the ruler at all? How do we know there isn't a king?

Did you ever see a king? No? So no king.

By that logic, the soup chef Shimi made on the Poshley Express can't exist either, because it was eaten before the player could see it.

Now that's a completely different matter.

A king... I would love to sink a knife into his ribcage...
--------------------

And this proves that not only am I completely insane, but I am also capable of debating several different sides of an argument at once.

Peach is not a king, she is a monarch.

Offline onetwentysix

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2010, 10:17:52 PM »
besides, the toads are Peach's slave. I just wish there was a revolution like the French Revolution and the Mushroom Kingdom becomes a republic. (Let bowser invade Sarasaland so Daisy is forced to come to the Mushroom Kingdom and cause a rebellion duh.)

Right now Peach is a dictator like Adolf Hitler, wanting to get rid of all the stuff under Bowser's control. Stalin.
THe Japanese should make the Beanbean kingdom a democracy or something.

Offline Gamefreak75

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
  • Mario Wiki and Pikmin Fanon Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2010, 10:48:04 PM »
besides, the toads are Peach's slave. I just wish there was a revolution like the French Revolution and the Mushroom Kingdom becomes a republic. (Let bowser invade Sarasaland so Daisy is forced to come to the Mushroom Kingdom and cause a rebellion duh.)

Right now Peach is a dictator like Adolf Hitler, wanting to get rid of all the stuff under Bowser's control. Stalin.

When did we get into politics?

Offline Member#36

• Striving For A Perfect NIWA Unit
  • Retired Staff
  • Kirby, My Favorite Flavor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2010, 11:04:03 PM »
The Toads aren't slaves, I don't know how that idea popped into your mind.

Offline Tucayo

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • MarioWiki's Shroom
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2010, 01:22:29 AM »
I think she is not.

TO clarify, 100 mushroom coins dont make 99 beanbean coins ;) beanbean coins are worth much less than mushroom coins. When Prince Peasley says he will give 99,999,999,999 coins to Mario and Luigi, that makes around 99 mushroom coins :) Just clarifying

Peasley makes a bet and offers Mario and Luigi 99,999,999,999 Mushroom Coins. Due to the exchange rate, this equals 99 Beanbean Coins. Remember, you pay everything in that game with Beanbean Coins.

So Mushroom Coins are worth much less than Beanbean Coins, not the other way around.  :P
Oh, sure, thanks :) So buying mushrooms for 30 coins in BB is not cheap

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2010, 01:57:30 AM »

Kings and Queens are gender-based titles for crowned monarchs in a Feudal European-Style Monarchy (Just as Sultan is the [I believe] Male head of a Islamic, and Nearly Sovereign, Territory).

Princesses and Princes are for Next-in-line for said crown, where as a "Crowned Prince" and "Crowded Princesses" are immediately next in line, taking precedence of non-crowned royalty.

This would be difficult for the following reasons:
1) Politically: Establishing a democracy in a fictional land is a lot harder establishing a monarchy. Monarchy's have that "born-into-the-position" to fall back on, while a democracy (direct or republic) needs a constitution, elections, etc.
2) Popular Fiction: Then add on top of that, rescuing a social/political target has been in cultural-sphere since the beginning of story telling. 
3) Commercially: A majority of gamers are male, and they-re are going to want to rescue a princess to fulfill the old, "rescue a damsel in distress" fantasy. (Think: Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella)
4) Historically: Revolutions (which this would require) are a bloody mess, and is outside of what's considered appropriate for target audience of Mario Games.

Also:
5) PEACH IS NOTHING LIKE STALIN OR HITLER. She has no secret police, she doesn't promote racial superiority, and i doubt she is a genus and/or Insane. There are no internment camps, no communes, no government regulated commerce, no firing squads killing people in the middle of the night to install fear - None of that!

It's kind of hard to to get into "competent leader", without discussing Political Science & Philosophy.

Offline onetwentysix

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2010, 09:27:10 PM »

Kings and Queens are gender-based titles for crowned monarchs in a Feudal European-Style Monarchy (Just as Sultan is the [I believe] Male head of a Islamic, and Nearly Sovereign, Territory).

Princesses and Princes are for Next-in-line for said crown, where as a "Crowned Prince" and "Crowded Princesses" are immediately next in line, taking precedence of non-crowned royalty.

This would be difficult for the following reasons:
1) Politically: Establishing a democracy in a fictional land is a lot harder establishing a monarchy. Monarchy's have that "born-into-the-position" to fall back on, while a democracy (direct or republic) needs a constitution, elections, etc.
2) Popular Fiction: Then add on top of that, rescuing a social/political target has been in cultural-sphere since the beginning of story telling. 
3) Commercially: A majority of gamers are male, and they-re are going to want to rescue a princess to fulfill the old, "rescue a damsel in distress" fantasy. (Think: Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella)
4) Historically: Revolutions (which this would require) are a bloody mess, and is outside of what's considered appropriate for target audience of Mario Games.

Also:
5) PEACH IS NOTHING LIKE STALIN OR HITLER. She has no secret police, she doesn't promote racial superiority, and i doubt she is a genus and/or Insane. There are no internment camps, no communes, no government regulated commerce, no firing squads killing people in the middle of the night to install fear - None of that!

It's kind of hard to to get into "competent leader", without discussing Political Science & Philosophy.

What do you mean by "Crowded Princesses"?

I think she is not.

Oh, sure, thanks :) So buying mushrooms for 30 coins in BB is not cheap

This is why you should save your money in Beanbean Coins (or save it in Canadian Dollars and money)

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2010, 10:44:27 PM »
What do you mean by "Crowded Princesses"?

Sorry, i should of put "crowned", not "crowded".

Offline onetwentysix

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2010, 09:37:41 PM »
Well, people at the Super Mario Wiki, notably Travix Man, say that toads are slaves.

Offline Naesala

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2010, 10:01:59 PM »
Well, people at the Super Mario Wiki, notably Travix Man, say that toads are slaves.

still just his opinion

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2010, 03:14:19 AM »

still just his opinion

this is true. We don't see any terms-of-sale.

Offline Member#36

• Retired Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2010, 02:52:57 PM »
Opinions make the world go round', but I think referring to them as "slaves" is a bit melodramatic. 

One could argue that there is no in-game proof that they are slaves... but one could counter argue that there is also no in-game proof against it either.  However, Mario games are made to be played by people of all ages, and so Nintendo wouldn't deliberately put adult themes and such in a game rated by the ESRB as E or K-A.  In M-rated games, sure, but the Mario series never had such a game thus far. 

This whole discussion is stupid, as it was brought up multiple times that none of us have seen Peach well enough as a ruler to pick a side.  With this, the entire thing will just continue to go in a circle and not go anywhere.  I would lock it, but I don't wish to be a heavy-handed mod with almost no clue of what to do.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 03:02:18 PM by Maximum Pink »

Offline Tucayo

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • MarioWiki's Shroom
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2010, 03:44:27 PM »
They are not slaves.... Since they are the main inhabitants of Mushroom Kingdom, specially Toad Town, it is normal that they have jobs like guards, etc.

Offline Naesala

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2010, 03:52:51 PM »
Quote from: ????  link=topic=208.msg5095#msg5095 date=1277218377
Opinions make the world go round', but I think referring to them as "slaves" is a bit melodramatic.  

This whole discussion is stupid, as it was brought up multiple times that none of us have seen Peach well enough as a ruler to pick a side.  With this, the entire thing will just continue to go in a circle and not go anywhere.  I would lock it, but I don't wish to be a heavy-handed mod with almost no clue of what to do.

at least there is a discussion here, which is why I made it in the first place, but I guess I'll lock it for the reason you stated
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 03:59:01 PM by Lord Ferrok »

Offline Tucayo

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • MarioWiki's Shroom
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2010, 04:19:25 PM »
This was a fun topic, its a shame you are locking it.... But as it is your topic, it is your decission

Offline Member#36

• Retired Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2010, 04:21:10 PM »
Wait:

1)When could normal members lock their own threads?
2)I left it open because I wasn't sure if it deserves to be locked.

Offline Tucayo

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • MarioWiki's Shroom
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2010, 08:37:30 PM »
Quote from: ????  link=topic=208.msg5107#msg5107 date=1277223670
Wait:

1)When could normal members lock their own threads?
2)I left it open because I wasn't sure if it deserves to be locked.

It's their choice when to lock them, that is why I respect Lord Ferrok's decision to do whatever he wants

Offline Member#36

• Retired Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2010, 03:37:03 AM »
The feature will have a 100% chance of being abused.  But, I suppose it's fine for now since the active members are trustworthy.