Poll

Which looks cooler?

Nintendo's 3DS
7 (70%)
Sony's NGP (Next Gen Portable)
3 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: NGP vs. 3DS  (Read 14979 times)

Offline R7308xx

• The poison in your drink... whoops.
  • New and, unfortunately, improved.
    • View Profile
NGP vs. 3DS
« on: January 28, 2011, 08:44:28 PM »
I have no opinions on the NGP right now other than that it has an annoying acronym.
I blame the economy.

Offline Maxite

• Icaruspedia Staff
  • Otaku Nut
    • View Profile
    • OtakuDeus
Re: NGP vs. 3DS
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 09:05:35 PM »
In terms of raw appearance and some specs that I've seen, the NGP looks "cooler" to me. Better aesthetics (I like the way it is laid out more than the 3DS), plus it appears to have a bigger screen. Dunno if I will buy one, that will be determined more by its game library than anything the console has to offer.

The 3DS, unless Nintendo makes a successor to it very quickly, I suspect I'll be grabbing one in the next three years.

Offline Mari-Illustrious-Makinami

• The First Children
  • Nintendo Master
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 09:14:07 PM »
I'd say the 3DS appeals to me more, simply because it's coming out sooner. The NGP ain't coming out till late this year, the 3DS is coming out next month for Japan and the following for the rest of the world. (Wow, that quick?)

And the NGP screen is bigger than the biggest 3DS screen (the top one), but based on the fact that for the 3D, the 3DS will have to render it twice, the 3DS technically would have a higher rez. And that, and I don't think the NGP will be backwards compatible with the PSP. They didn't say anything about it, so I've already got a library of like thirty or so games for the 3DS.

That and the 3DS has key third party support, better games, will probably cost a ton less. I'd say it's gonna be "Game over" for Sony before the thing hits shelves.

Offline HavocReaper48

• The Falcon Punch Master
  • Donkey Kong Wiki Staff
  • Orly?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 09:17:06 PM »
The 3DS, unless Nintendo makes a successor to it very quickly, I suspect I'll be grabbing one in the next three years.

Pretty much the same way with me. I'll wait for the fifth version of it. Knowing Nintendo...

- 3DS
- 3DS Lite
- 3DSi
- 3DSXL
- 3DSi Lite XL
- 3DSi Liter XXL

So I'll likely be waiting for the 3DSi Liter XXL. Unless they come out with a game I REALLY want.

As for the new Sony thing, I agree that's a weird acronym but I would like to know more about the games first.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 04:49:59 AM »
First i am hearing of the NGP...so i don't know what to think.

I will probably side with Nintendo. Rarely have i done otherwise, but i will wait for more info before making my final decision.

• The First Children
  • Nintendo Master
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 04:55:47 AM »

Pretty much the same way with me. I'll wait for the fifth version of it. Knowing Nintendo...

- 3DS
- 3DS Lite
- 3DSi
- 3DSXL
- 3DSi Lite XL
- 3DSi Liter XXL

So I'll likely be waiting for the 3DSi Liter XXL. Unless they come out with a game I REALLY want.

As for the new Sony thing, I agree that's a weird acronym but I would like to know more about the games first.
Actually, Iwata (I think) said they probably won't have a 3DS Lite, since they've taken all the stuff they've learned from making a handheld small with the DS Lite and used it for the regular 3DS.

Offline R7308xx

• The poison in your drink... whoops.
  • New and, unfortunately, improved.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 06:57:28 AM »
I only ever bought a DS Lite, I use my little brother's DSi sometimes. The DSi was a bad idea in my opinion.
I blame the economy.

Offline RAP

• Forum Administrator
  • Nintendo Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 07:41:12 AM »

- 3DS
- 3DS Lite
- 3DSi
- 3DSXL
- 3DSi Lite XL
- 3DSi Liter XXL

Actually, Iwata (I think) said they probably won't have a 3DS Lite, since they've taken all the stuff they've learned from making a handheld small with the DS Lite and used it for the regular 3DS.
Indeed, in that effect - customers will either have to wait for the next revision longer, or buy the 3DS at launch. The former will be more painful if they're missing out the experiences.

As for the 3DS vs. PSP2, my curiosity remains in full form on how both of them will function. However, as Iwata said: "We are trying to appeal to customers from different directions, the ones who will decide which is best are the customers."1 Good for Nintendo gamers, Sony/Playstation gamers, casual gamers, and people who never touched a gaming console before.

1 http://kotaku.com/5745718/why-nintendo-wont-give-its-sony-ngp-impressions

Offline pikachu8090

• I haunt Vegeta... he killed me!!!!
  • Guess who it is!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 01:16:21 PM »
NGP: is just a PS3 in a handheld with touchscreen
3DS: is something entirely new

the 3DS is more newer of an idea, and while NGP is just taking a PS3 and making it portable and the DS's touch screen
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 01:30:47 PM by pikachu8090 »
thanks to Kyuuketsuki on Bulbagarden for making this awesome banner

Guess who I am?!

Offline SuperHamster

• Nookipedia Staff
  • Nookipedia Director / Inkipedia Admin
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 06:15:10 PM »
I probably won't get either one for a long while. If I had to get one, though, NGP seems like a great system, but I'd rather get the 3DS - it's more appealing to me because of its features and the fact that I'm a Nintendo fan. Heck, I've never owned a non-Nintendo video game console. I get Nintendo systems so that I can play all the Nintendo-exclusive titles (like Mario), and then play everything else (Call of Duty, Need for Speed, etc.) on my PC.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 10:20:22 PM »
the same for me.... except for when i got Sega Genesis for Sega Channel, and a PS2 for Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy.

• The First Children
  • Nintendo Master
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2011, 10:22:07 PM »
You're that old?

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2011, 10:46:48 PM »
You're that old?

How old did you think i was?

• The First Children
  • Nintendo Master
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2011, 10:57:46 PM »
Like 15 or something.

Offline Maxite

• Icaruspedia Staff
  • Otaku Nut
    • View Profile
    • OtakuDeus
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 09:48:59 AM »
Like 15 or something.
Try tripling that number, and you'll be a lot closer.

I think it will be interesting to see what the NGP does have to offer once more details emerge. I'm interested myself in seeing if it'll be backwards compatible with the PSP, as well as what sort of game library to expect on it.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2011, 09:00:05 PM »
Like 15 or something.

Thanks.  :D. But in reality, i'm in my 20's.

I think it will be interesting to see what the NGP does have to offer once more details emerge. I'm interested myself in seeing if it'll be backwards compatible with the PSP, as well as what sort of game library to expect on it.

I sort-of do as well; although, i have no PSP games to speak of.....I am still curious.

• The First Children
  • Nintendo Master
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2011, 09:21:02 PM »
Like 15 or something.
Try tripling that number, and you'll be a lot closer.

I think they said it won't have a UMD drive and will be able to transfer PSN downloaded games to it. (Kind of like transferring DSiWare)

Offline Naesala

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2011, 10:11:13 PM »
I'll stick with the 3DS. Nintendo hasn't let me down with a handheld yet.

Offline Maxite

• Icaruspedia Staff
  • Otaku Nut
    • View Profile
    • OtakuDeus
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2011, 02:24:42 AM »
I'm sure the 3DS will be like every other handheld I've ever had: Some feature(s) will be annoying to me in some fashion, but given time I'll get over it.

First handheld was a Gameboy Pocket. It was nice, but it wasn't backlit, but I got an accessory that took care of it.
Second handheld was a Gameboy Color. It was a bit bigger than the Gameboy Pocket, which made it feel awkward until I got used to it. Also, not backlight, but I got over it with an accessory.
Then came the Gameboy Advance. My first thought was "Did they manufacture this sideways?" Got used to the ENTIRELY new feel of the thing pretty quickly. Still no backlight, so I had to get an entirely NEW accessory for that purpose. Although I did like the battery indicator light. Also wasn't a big fan of the smaller game carts.

The Nintendo DS pissed me off the most. Internal batteries (I like the idea of me being able to change batteries on my own, so that way if it dies on a long trip I can just replace it and charge them up on my own convenience). Little backwards compatibility (no Gameboy/Gameboy Color support). The new "game cards" I didn't care for at the time, since I feared they'd be so much easier to lose. I also for some reason didn't care much for the touch screen, I thought it was purely gimmicky (even still, I prefer to use the buttons and only use the touch screen when forced). In the end, got over a lot of those annoyances and now the DS is my favorite handheld.

Offline pikachu8090

• I haunt Vegeta... he killed me!!!!
  • Guess who it is!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2011, 02:35:52 AM »
what game i want to see on the NGP is littlebigplanet
thanks to Kyuuketsuki on Bulbagarden for making this awesome banner

Guess who I am?!