Author Topic: CD-i  (Read 23359 times)

Offline Level 3

• F-Zero Wiki Staff
  • Hey everyone, just here to help with the effort.
    • View Profile
Re: CD-i
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2010, 02:28:23 AM »
I serioisly dont get how they thougut that was a passable game though. Kimda sad, really

Admin at the F-Zero Wiki.

Offline mtn_otter

• Robot, Philosopher, Redneck, Cynic, Psychopath
    • View Profile
Re: CD-i
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2010, 03:17:39 AM »
I've only ever played Wand of Gamelon, but I don't think it's as bad as everybody would have you think.

That said, it does have its bad points:

The controls were badly designed. No, scratch that, the Cd-I controller was badly designed. For those of you who've never seen one, imagine a Wii Nunchuk. Now flatten it out, and take away its ability to sense motion, its control stick, and it's rumble feature. Place a d-pad where the control stick went. In the center of the d-pad, put a small, round, easy-to accidentally press button. On either side of the d-pad, put two long buttons lengthwise. Below the d-pad there is the start button, select button, etc. The thing is uncomfortable to hold, and I deny that it is even possible to press the button on its thumb side while still using the d-pad without having multiple thumbs. Fortunately, there is also an alternate controller that is, for all intents and purposes, exactly the same as the Genesis controller.

The cutscenes, while not necessarily "bad", were definitely animated strangely.

The voice acting was possibly one of the worst aspects of the game. I have seriously wondered if they pulled random people off the street to do it. That said, it has voice acting, which is more than any cannon Zelda game can say, unless you count one-word phrases like "Hey!", "Listen!", and "Oooh!".

It's very minor, but it is impossible to jump above the level of the screen. While not a huge factor for most of the time, it did make for some very bad times in certain dungeons.

The boss fights were simply horribly designed. Not only were the items you needed to defeat the bosses in completely separate areas from the bosses themselves, but the game gave almost no hints whatsoever as to which item was required to beat each boss. The player, essentially, has to guess which item to use. And if you do manage to pick the right item, you throw it at the boss, and(if you didn't miss[if you did miss, you are ****ed]) are reward with an animation showing the boss in question dying, and one or more new areas being unlocked.

All in all, though, I can't really say it's a horrible game.  It's certainly not as bad as some games made by much more successful companies. I don't want to embarrass them, so let's just say that the game's protagonist is a man who's just super, really.

Over all, I give Wand of Gamelon 4/10, ten being the highest. And that's not so bad, when you consider I gave that the game about the super man(I cannot possibly be any less subtle. If you still can't tell what I'm talking about, go look up the top ten worst video games. I'm sure it's there. If that didn't work, go grow an inductive reasoning gland.) 1/10.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 03:20:14 AM by mtn_otter »
As a form of protest, I refuse to make a signature...