Author Topic: Strategy Wiki's new skin messing up.  (Read 12914 times)

Offline T.testLP

• View Profile
Strategy Wiki's new skin messing up.
« on: March 03, 2011, 02:28:24 PM »
So, ever since StrategyWiki updated to their new skin, I haven't been able to ascess most pages, even the login page. Anyone else have that?

Offline Moydow

• NIWA Coordinator
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fire Emblem Wiki
Re: Strategy Wiki's new skin messing up.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 04:53:50 PM »
I haven't noticed any problems. Have you tried clearing your cache? What exactly is going wrong?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 05:01:35 PM by Moydow »
NIWA Coordinator

Offline Jake

• Nookipedia Staff
  • Nookipedia Director / Server Admin
    • View Profile
    • Nookipedia
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 08:50:42 PM »
Also, it would help if you could tell us what browser and operating system you are using. :)

Offline T.testLP

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 03:31:58 AM »
Internet Explorer and on Windows 7.

Offline Moydow

• NIWA Coordinator
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fire Emblem Wiki
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 03:43:53 AM »
Internet Explorer... You could use much better, such as Firefox or Chrome, but since IE is so widely used, this may be a problem. I'll mention it to Prod when I see him online.
NIWA Coordinator

Offline T.testLP

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 08:53:53 AM »
Any news on this? I still can't log in and browse more than two pages without getting an error.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 06:55:46 PM »
I have just signed up for an account with StrategyWiki, And thus far, haven't had any problems.

I will continue to to test it as i go along the day, and if any problems pop up, i will report them here.

Offline Moydow

• NIWA Coordinator
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fire Emblem Wiki
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 07:28:09 PM »
Which specific version of Internet Explorer are you using? If you're using IE6, there's not really anything that can be done (even Microsoft themselves are asking people not to use IE6). IE7 isn't much better. The best advice is really just to not use IE at all, unless you must, since it isn't compatible with many web design standards seen in other browsers, that are widely used across the Internet.
NIWA Coordinator

Offline prod

• StrategyWiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • StrategyWiki
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 07:56:00 PM »
What kind of error?  Can you provide a screenshot/description?

Offline Greenpickle

• Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My site
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 08:45:55 PM »
If it helps, I checked it in IE7, and it's all usable, but there are some minor messed up things, mostly margins and alignments being just out.  Sample screenshots (too lazy to crop...): losing text off the left of columns (the numbers are completely gone), bottom of #siteSub chopped off, right edges of username/password fields don't line up, e-mail button has lots of padding, category text isn't vertically centred.

It looks fine in everything else, though (Firefox (3.6 and 4RC), Chromium, Midori, Epiphany).
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 08:48:23 PM by Greenpickle »

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 09:15:36 PM »
By chromium, do you mean the borwser, or the OS?

Offline Greenpickle

• Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My site
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 09:27:17 PM »
...Well, the others in the list are browsers, and the OS is called Chromium OS, IIRC, so the browser.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2011, 10:19:01 PM »
...Well, the others in the list are browsers, and the OS is called Chromium OS, IIRC, so the browser.

Ah, ok. I was just making sure.

Offline dkpat

• The Jupiter Adept
  • Golden Sun Universe Staff
  • Tada!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dkpat.net
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 03:20:01 AM »
The Browser is not Chromium.... It is just Chrome... Just a word for the difference. When you say chromium I expect the OS, not the browser

Offline Tina

• WikiBound Staff
    • View Profile
    • WikiBound
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 03:48:34 AM »
This is slightly off-topic but I figured I would say this anyway: Chromium is the open-source base that Google Chrome is based off of. Google Chrome adds several Google-centric features to it.
WikiBound Editor-in-Chief

Offline prod

• StrategyWiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • StrategyWiki
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 09:53:40 AM »
If it helps, I checked it in IE7, and it's all usable, but there are some minor messed up things, mostly margins and alignments being just out.  Sample screenshots (too lazy to crop...): losing text off the left of columns (the numbers are completely gone), bottom of #siteSub chopped off, right edges of username/password fields don't line up, e-mail button has lots of padding, category text isn't vertically centred.

It looks fine in everything else, though (Firefox (3.6 and 4RC), Chromium, Midori, Epiphany).
Gotta love IE... We'll look into those for our next update.

Oh, and "The Chromium projects include Chromium and Chromium OS, the open-source projects behind the Google Chrome browser and Google Chrome OS, respectively." from http://www.chromium.org/.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 07:59:47 PM »
If it helps, I checked it in IE7, and it's all usable, but there are some minor messed up things, mostly margins and alignments being just out.  Sample screenshots (too lazy to crop...): losing text off the left of columns (the numbers are completely gone), bottom of #siteSub chopped off, right edges of username/password fields don't line up, e-mail button has lots of padding, category text isn't vertically centred.

Gotta love IE... We'll look into those for our next update.

Oh, and "The Chromium projects include Chromium and Chromium OS, the open-source projects behind the Google Chrome browser and Google Chrome OS, respectively." from http://www.chromium.org/.

Does this mean that there are one or two browsers by google and/or related to the word "chrome"?

Offline Greenpickle

• Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My site
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 08:18:23 PM »
I haven't really looked into it, but I get the idea that Google wrote Chrome, then released most of it under an open source license and distributed that as Chromium.  Now, development on Chromium by volunteers plus Google employees is pulled into Chrome and a few things are added to it by Google.

The Chromium project doesn't actually distribute binaries (compiled executables), just the source code, so, while I'm sure builds for commercial OSs exist, it's only really free OSs that use it.  It's Chrome without the branding, update mechanism (free OSs tend to have package managers), tracking, Flash (to keep it free) (bundled, that is - you just need to install Flash separately like with most other browsers) and a load of licensing terms Chrome needs you to agree to.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2011, 09:13:20 PM »
So, if i interpret that correctly:

it makes them sibling programs. They swap code between each other, and share many of their respective features with one-another; but each of them are distinct enough to fulfill different roles in Google's intentions, target different users, be under different legal conditions, etc.

I hope i got that correctly.  :laugh:

Offline Jake

• Nookipedia Staff
  • Nookipedia Director / Server Admin
    • View Profile
    • Nookipedia
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2011, 11:18:57 PM »
Well not exactly. Chromium is the browser itself. However, in an effort to make it more user friendly, Google rebrands it as Chrome and adds features that users need like auto-updates and Flash. That's really the main difference. As Greenpickle said, most linux distributions use Chromium because a Google branded Chrome isn't directly available.