Author Topic: NintendoWiki dead?  (Read 20903 times)

Offline IceScream

• View Profile
NintendoWiki dead?
« on: March 05, 2013, 05:55:55 AM »
Who was in charge of NintendoWiki? I checked the Recent changes of last 30 days and the only useful edits were 3 minor edits by ToastUltimatum and Superfiremario. Even the German wiki was more active than the English wiki.
Offtopic, what happened to WikiBound? It give me a 403 Forbidden error whatever I view that site.

New thread: http://www.niwanetwork.org/forums/index.php?topic=1328.0
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 11:26:15 PM by IceScream »

Offline Moydow

• NIWA Coordinator
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fire Emblem Wiki
Re: NintendoWiki dead?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 06:28:00 PM »
I think it's because people aren't really sure what to do there. No-one ever came to any reasonable conclusion about the wiki's scope, which at present almost seems to change on a case by case basis. I'm not even sure what's supposed to go there. I think part of it was to cover any and all games published by Nintendo, but why would people go to NintendoWiki for, say, Pokémon info, when Bulbapedia has better, more in-depth info?

Also, Wikibound, and other sites hosted by Tacopill, are currently down due to server errors. He's hoping to have them back up by the weekend.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 07:30:34 PM by Moydow »
NIWA Coordinator

Offline Vellidragon

• Hungry dragoness
  • WiKirby Staff
  • That fat girl
    • View Profile
    • Pelsatia
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 07:29:31 PM »
What Moydow said, basically... the fact that even beyond the scope, very few of the policies and standards were ever properly fleshed out doesn't help either, nor does the general "early work-in-progress" feel that the site has had ever since its debut and never got past. It's an inconsistent jumble of unfinished things that's not sure what it's about, and at present doesn't really have anything of interest apart from some back-of-the-box blurbs.
Offtopic, what happened to WikiBound? It give me a 403 Forbidden error whatever I view that site.
Tacopill reinstalled stuff on his server a while ago and most of the sites on it (also including Fire Emblem Wiki and Lylat Wiki) have been experiencing all kinds of wacky problems ever since. There's a skype convo going on dedicated to fixing it, with limited success so far; if you have experience and would like to help, please contact tacopill before he loses the last tiny remainder of his sanity over this :p

Offline dkpat

• The Jupiter Adept
  • Golden Sun Universe Staff
  • Tada!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dkpat.net
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 09:46:22 PM »
Another problem is that those who were dedicated to NintendoWiki kinda vanished.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 03:55:37 AM by mlnintendo97 »

Offline ToastUltimatum

• Icaruspedia Staff
  • Also Staff on F-Zero Wiki and Lylat Wiki
    • View Profile
    • SmashWiki Userpage
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 10:57:05 PM »
another problem is that those who were dedicated to NintendoWiki kinda vanished.
Yeah, things got busy on my end. Moving house, getting ill, making Let's Plays, and most of my time on wikis has been dedicated to Robot Wars Wiki. I might suddenly explode one day and make some articles, but no promises.

Offline IceScream

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 08:32:05 AM »
How about let NintendoWiki focus only in NIWA related articles, and link the game / hardware pages to other members of NIWA? Maybe also rename NintendoWiki to NIWA Wiki?

Edit: I deleted my other post. I forgot Wikibound is now temporarily down. Just ignore it.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 11:45:36 AM by IceScream »

Offline Toomai

• SmashWiki Staff
  • Smash & Learn
    • View Profile
    • SmashWiki
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 12:38:54 PM »
"Is NintendoWiki dead?"

I think the better question is: "Was NintendoWiki ever alive?" While I never looked for one, I have never seen an edit by someone who wasn't a staff member on some NIWA wiki. If a wiki never gets edits from non-staff, it's at least "stale" and at most "desperately pushed for a reason to exist".
oeuf

Offline dkpat

• The Jupiter Adept
  • Tada!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 03:59:48 PM »
To my knowledge, the staff that primarily called NintendoWiki their wiki were RAP and Tacopill (among a few others who have now retired I think)

RAP hasn't been seen in a while, and Taco has been busy dealing with hosting websites and the issues around that.

Offline FlyingRagnar

• Dragon Quest Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • Dragon Quest Wiki
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 04:06:30 PM »
There is a lot of loose terminology being tossed around here.  Wikis are not "dead" simply because no one is editing them.  Some articles might be getting stale and new articles might be missing but those factors do not mean a wiki is dead.  A wiki is only truly dead when it is not visited by anyone on the web or it is taken offline.

Here is the Wikipedia page for dormant articles.  Many of these articles have not been edited for over 7 years.  Are these articles dead?  No, they just might be in need of updates.  I'm sure lots of them have been used millions of times in those 7 years by those searching the web.

With that said, I still think the Nintendo Wiki has a strong reason for existence.  There is plenty of information about Nintendo which is not series related.

Nintendo and its corporate history
Important Nintendo executives, Shigeru Miyamoto, lots of others
Nintendo hardware and peripherals, where else do articles about the Power Glove, Super Scope, and Virtual Boy go?
Development studios which Nintendo controls and their history
Games which do not merit their own standalone wiki (Wii Sports/Play/Party/Music, Game and Watch, other Nintendo ventures which were Japan only)
The Nintendo Store in New York
Channels on the Wii and Wii U
Nintendo Power magazine history info, etc
Nintendo @ E3 (I think it would be awesome to have articles detailing what Nintendo unveiled each year, reaction, etc)

Nintendo is identified by the products it makes, which is why the Nintendo wiki is really a "support" wiki to the game series wikis.  I don't believe it is dead or useless though.

Offline dkpat

• The Jupiter Adept
  • Tada!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 04:13:12 PM »
There are very few articles that were ever created on NintendoWiki though. It has a large amount of dead links, with no one creating them. And it honestly doesn't even have a staff that is dedicated to it, let alone a user base.

I'm not saying it doesn't have a purpose, just that it's purpose isn't being fulfilled.

Related: Wars Wiki has been dead for a long time now. It was left to spammers a long time ago and no one wanted to contact them.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 04:24:48 PM by dkpat »

Offline Moydow

• NIWA Coordinator
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fire Emblem Wiki
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 05:21:58 PM »
Related: Wars Wiki has been dead for a long time now. It was left to spammers a long time ago and no one wanted to contact them.

http://warswiki.warscentral.com/index.php?title=Special:RecentChanges&limit=500

Disheartening, really. Why didn't anyone want to contact the admins?
NIWA Coordinator

Offline dkpat

• The Jupiter Adept
  • Tada!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 09:16:39 PM »
Disheartening, really. Why didn't anyone want to contact the admins?

Well, I asked people if they could contact them when I made the Check in thread, because I had no way to. No one responded to that post.

Offline FlyingRagnar

• View Profile
    • Dragon Quest Wiki
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 06:20:37 AM »
Yeah, the Wars wiki has/had more of an uphill battle than the Nintendo wiki really.  Since it was not a well established long-term series, the overall interest declines greatly for both editors and visitors when there are no new titles released.  The 2 are very connected.  A long-running series will most likely have more titles, and the fact that it already has many existing titles only boosts its hits from search engines, etc.

Nintendo wiki is underdeveloped, but has potential.  Wars wiki is facing more dire circumstances. 

Offline IceScream

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 10:09:49 AM »
If Wii Series Games don't deserve a wiki, maybe existing articles from another dead wiki (The last edit was from 2 January), http://www.niwanetwork.org/forums/index.php?topic=1284.0 could merge with NintendoWiki?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 07:52:49 PM by IceScream »

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 11:55:04 AM »
we should just take the articles from other niwa wikis and put them in the niwa wiki

Offline IceScream

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2013, 11:59:34 AM »
we should just take the articles from other niwa wikis and put them in the niwa wiki

Nope. Besides, Wii Wiki is still not a official NIWA wiki with only 8 articles.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 07:44:31 PM by IceScream »

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2013, 12:09:36 PM »
y not?

Offline FlyingRagnar

• View Profile
    • Dragon Quest Wiki
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2013, 09:39:10 PM »
Wii Wiki does not meet the requirements to join NIWA.

http://www.niwanetwork.org/join.php

However, so long as you give credit where credit is due, there is nothing wrong with using content.

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2013, 09:45:31 PM »
y dont we take articles from bulbapedia and mariowiki that are relevant. i know they have generic articles about nintendo employees and history because i've seen them b4

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2013, 10:25:20 PM »
(Pardon I using the "dead" word, I'm not a english speaker and I running out of words to use)

Since the other thread is going off-topic, this is the new thread to discuss how to fix any dead NIWA wikis like Wars Wiki and NintendoWiki.
Old thread here: http://www.niwanetwork.org/forums/index.php?topic=1322.0

(KidIcarus, if you want to post please post in the old thread. Thank you.)

I think maybe we should take the n-wiki and put articles from other wikis onto that wiki. also about wars wiki we should put it on probation until they are functional again.

P.s. this will be confusing. maybe we should just merge these threads?