Author Topic: NintendoWiki Coverage and Scope - main thread  (Read 29945 times)

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
Re: NintendoWiki Coverage and Scope - main thread
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2013, 04:11:29 AM »
Characters:
The problems with Characters/mascots, in my opinion, are: where do you draw the line? where does something become so in-franchise, that it is much better just to point someone to the respective wiki (if one exists), than to try and have an article on-wiki?

for example: Bulbasaur is my favorite Pokemon, and I would love to see it get its own article. And extending that, Venusaur would also get its own. But how much does it represent the franchise as a whole? It is the version mascot for Green (Gen I) and LeafGreen (Gen III), and got a Mega Evolution in X and Y (Gen VI). But does it appear in non-video game, non-Pokemon-related, but still Nintendo-related, things?

If Nintendo does a Charity or Corporate event, with videos and/or pamphlets, how likely is it that Venusaur will make an appearance on it?

How much detail about a character (outside of its original media) can one gather?
----
To this end, I think I may borrow an idea I got from Bulbapedia: I recommend make a personal sandbox. And in the sandbox, gather resouces, make paragraphs and sections, and see if you can make an article based on a Character, anyone of your choosing.

In this, be sure to include as much detail as you can on the Character's presence outside of the original media for the franchise. You can include inside the media, but be careful not to become a duplicate of another wiki (NIWA, Wikia or other).

Keep it neat and organized and back it up with references. If needed, create an infobox by borrowing one of the others we have on wiki, but be sure to source it. If you need any help in this regard, feel free to contact me.

Good Luck

Dillion's Summary
In attempt to summarize the discussion thus far, and to set in stone what we all agree upon... Here we go!~
(Please note, I am not injecting my opinions into this particular post)

Definite Topics:
*Full coverage of hardware.
*Full coverage of history.
*Full coverage of Events.
*Full coverage of Nintendo Employees.
*Single article for competing companies.
*At least one article for every series.

The rest of what has been discussed still seems up in the air to me.  We have agreed that full coverage of any game series should not happen (Ex: Ice Climbers), but not the extent to which said series should be covered in comparison to other series. Related to that, We haven't come to any definitive consensus regarding coverage of Individual games. Some people are saying N-wiki shouldn't cover them, some are saying they should cover all of them, and some are saying they should only cover those without another member wiki. Another topic that doesn't have a clear decision is coverage of select Nintendo "mascots" The issue here would be determining who those mascots are.

I believe that is a thorough synopsis of the thread so far. Can we get those bottom things ironed out, please?

I am in agreement of the Definite Topics, and in support of some information related to the games. I was sort of hoping to one day have the games cataloged in a similar manor to how Bulbapedia does so with the individual Pokemon species.

For Instance, with the help of Velidragon, Moydow and many others, I managed to:
* gather all the versions of The Original Super Mario Bros. in one place.
* show ways one kirby game can related to another
* and possibly include Technical Details on a specific game.
* maybe even one day include Marketing and Sales details.

Each of these, I was hoping to fully explore, with help, ways games Interact With Each Other, compare and contrast their use of available technology, etc., all of which are above the game-level, and, as far as I can tell, slightly out-of-focus for other member wikis.

Anyway, that's my two cents. :)

Offline SeanWheeler

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2013, 07:24:15 PM »
I made a userspace page for Pikachu. Do you think it should go in the mainspace? I also made a mascot infobox.

Offline dkpat

• The Jupiter Adept
  • Golden Sun Universe Staff
  • Tada!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dkpat.net
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2013, 07:37:08 PM »
To this end, I think I may borrow an idea I got from Bulbapedia: I recommend make a personal sandbox. And in the sandbox, gather resouces, make paragraphs and sections, and see if you can make an article based on a Character, anyone of your choosing.

It seems then, that Taco is suggesting Characters are done on a case by case basis, with the wiki deciding as a whole about a character when a thorough presentation is given. In accordance with that, I feel like the Character discussion is now finished as far as the scope of this particular thread.

Regarding the other topics Taco addressed.
Articles on individual games are beginning to seem inevitable to me. Though There are definitely certain topics that just absolutely must be present in any proper article on a video game that n-wiki has. This includes release information and Sales data. N-wiki's coverage is the company, not the franchise, so covering the plot of a game in depth shouldn't happen on any game. It should be much more about the real world effects of the game, not the in-game universe. It is agreed that coverage of any game or series should not extend beyond an article for each game in the series though.

So. Does this actually clear up any final bits about the coverage scope of N-Wiki?

« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 07:58:59 PM by dkpat »

Offline SeanWheeler

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2013, 07:51:12 PM »
Well, you haven't voted on Pikachu or those other characters yet.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2013, 12:22:20 AM »
Well, you haven't voted on Pikachu or those other characters yet.

Keep in mind, this is a thread covering general topics, whether or not Characters as a whole should be covered, not if Pikachu in specific is going to be an article. That will go on in the future, but not right now. For now, continue to work on it, please :).

And yes,

It seems then, that Taco is suggesting Characters are done on a case by case basis, with the wiki deciding as a whole about a character when a thorough presentation is given. In accordance with that, I feel like the Character discussion is now finished as far as the scope of this particular thread.
Case-by-Case would be good. But that is to be discussed in another thread.

Regarding the other topics Taco addressed.
Articles on individual games are beginning to seem inevitable to me. Though There are definitely certain topics that just absolutely must be present in any proper article on a video game that n-wiki has. This includes release information and Sales data. N-wiki's coverage is the company, not the franchise, so covering the plot of a game in depth shouldn't happen on any game. It should be much more about the real world effects of the game, not the in-game universe. It is agreed that coverage of any game or series should not extend beyond an article for each game in the series though.

So. Does this actually clear up any final bits about the coverage scope of N-Wiki?

Should we cover any of the following?
* Achievements: Awards Nintendo (or one of its properties) has received, like "Game of the Year".
* Events: E3, Spaceworld, etc.
* Legal: lawsuits by or Against Nintendo, etc.

Also, going to get started on topic-specific threads, now that we have some topics down. Please look at the header post for links.

Offline Tucayo

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • MarioWiki's Shroom
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2013, 11:52:36 PM »
* Achievements: Awards Nintendo (or one of its properties) has received, like "Game of the Year".

Also, going to get started on topic-specific threads, now that we have some topics down. Please look at the header post for links.

I think all of those should fall within our scope.

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2013, 01:35:48 AM »
It should be much more about the real world effects of the game, not the in-game universe.

I think dkpat has it exactly right. If a topic has had a large enough impact on the real world that someone could write a quality article about that impact, then it deserves an article.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2013, 02:04:07 AM »

I think all of those should fall within our scope.

Ok, so, this is the updated list:
**Achievements: Awards Nintendo (or one of its properties) has received, like "Game of the Year".
**Legal: lawsuits by or Against Nintendo, etc.
*Full coverage of Events: E3, Spaceworld, etc.

Offline SeanWheeler

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2013, 03:00:42 AM »

Ok, so, this is the updated list:
**Achievements: Awards Nintendo (or one of its properties) has received, like "Game of the Year".
**Legal: lawsuits by or Against Nintendo, etc.
*Full coverage of Events: E3, Spaceworld, etc.
Competing companies get articles? Why would Sony and Microsoft get articles on a Nintendo Wiki?

Offline dkpat

• The Jupiter Adept
  • Tada!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2013, 03:07:35 AM »
Competing companies get articles? Why would Sony and Microsoft get articles on a Nintendo Wiki?

As an overview article on the company and it's interactions with Nintendo.

Offline Torchickens

• StarfyWiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2013, 02:15:51 PM »

As an overview article on the company and it's interactions with Nintendo.

A user recently created a page on the Sega Genesis. Should it be kept, deleted, or merged into a Sega page?

Edit: I have mixed thoughts. On one hand, there's not much information on it so some could argue is it really worth keeping but then at least something is better than nothing and it could always be expanded on. I'm OK with it staying unless it is merged into somewhere else. (It could possibly be incorporated into a Sega article and could mention some advantages of it that generation, like how the Sega Genesis had "blast processing", for instance).

Edit 2: There's an older article on the Sega Master System too, but it does mention that games from that system are available on Virtual Console and lists them.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 02:28:34 PM by Torchickens »
Hello. I identify as female. She/her pronouns please. :)

(credits to Moydow)

I spend a lot of my time making videos about Pokémon glitches on my Youtube channel ChickasaurusGL.

I'm the editor in chief of Starfy Wiki. Let me know or Tappy know of any bugs or other concerns. :)

Discord: Torchickens #3213
Twitter: Torchickens
Email: [email protected]

Offline dkpat

• The Jupiter Adept
  • Tada!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2013, 02:28:18 PM »
Oh god... Sega...

Alright. I think if Nintendo ever published a game on the console, then the article can be kept. Otherwise though, I don't think it should. (Sega is going to be one of those Grey areas on N-Wiki...)

Offline Torchickens

• StarfyWiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2013, 02:53:28 PM »
I don't think they ever did but Sega Genesis games were released on Wii Virtual Console, so the page could maybe redirect to List of Sega Genesis games on Wii Virtual Console and the games could be listed there, like on this page. The links to those games should be to Wikipedia and should not create red links, in my opinion.

The consoles released by Sega could be mentioned briefly in a history section on an article about Sega itself, mentioning what advantages those consoles had in competition with Nintendo and also the significance of mascots including Alex Kidd and Sonic the Hedgehog.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 02:56:30 PM by Torchickens »

(credits to Moydow)

I spend a lot of my time making videos about Pokémon glitches on my Youtube channel ChickasaurusGL.

I'm the editor in chief of Starfy Wiki. Let me know or Tappy know of any bugs or other concerns. :)

Offline SeanWheeler

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2013, 12:49:00 AM »
Well at least the Nintendo Wikia had character articles, unlike us who have to rely on our affiliates. Well, I guess we can keep Genesis as a Virtual Console.

Offline Tucayo

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • MarioWiki's Shroom
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2013, 11:29:52 PM »
I don't think they ever did but Sega Genesis games were released on Wii Virtual Console, so the page could maybe redirect to List of Sega Genesis games on Wii Virtual Console and the games could be listed there, like on this page. The links to those games should be to Wikipedia and should not create red links, in my opinion.

The consoles released by Sega could be mentioned briefly in a history section on an article about Sega itself, mentioning what advantages those consoles had in competition with Nintendo and also the significance of mascots including Alex Kidd and Sonic the Hedgehog.
That sounds like a good balance.

Offline SeanWheeler

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2013, 04:34:45 AM »
Now back to the character discussion. Should we cover characters? Or should Mario's article be deleted?

Offline dkpat

• The Jupiter Adept
  • Tada!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2013, 11:39:50 PM »
Now back to the character discussion. Should we cover characters? Or should Mario's article be deleted?
That discussion is finished. It had a conclusion.

Offline Archaic

• Bulbagarden Webmaster
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bulbagarden
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2014, 02:09:56 AM »
When we established N-wiki, my intention for it was that it should cover characters, but that it should primarily do so via disambig pages or redirects to the dedicated wiki for that franchise in NIWA. Titles which seemingly have no hope of ever having their own wiki (because there were never enough games in the franchise) should most certainly fully developed character pages, etc. As for titles which could eventually be spun off into an independent wiki....I thought that they could use N-wiki as a platform to start developing their content, with that content then shifting to the new wiki (and the N-wiki pages being turned into disambig/redirect pages) when they'd reached the tipping point.

Offline Archaic

• Bulbagarden Webmaster
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bulbagarden
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2014, 12:19:44 PM »
To follow up on my previous comment... Steel Diver would be a great franchise to test that with, given that it's now taken off due to Sub Wars. If they continue to add ships, maps and missions, I could easily see it eventually being spun off to an independent wiki.

Offline Torchickens

• StarfyWiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2014, 12:42:28 PM »
To follow up on my previous comment... Steel Diver would be a great franchise to test that with, given that it's now taken off due to Sub Wars. If they continue to add ships, maps and missions, I could easily see it eventually being spun off to an independent wiki.

It's funny that you should say that, as I started a Steel Diver Wiki last Friday, the day after Sub Wars came out. It's still in its infancy (as would be expected) and I don't know if I'll keep this one active for too long, though the incompleteness is giving me an incentive to add information about the missions, decals, Steel Divers, etc.

Would you like to help?

(credits to Moydow)