Author Topic: Wikia makes another offer for Bulbapedia - Epic Fail  (Read 46148 times)

Offline R7308xx

• The poison in your drink... whoops.
  • New and, unfortunately, improved.
    • View Profile
Re: Wikia makes another offer for Bulbapedia - Epic Fail
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2010, 04:55:50 AM »
N-n-n-n-n-n-n-no. I was simply implying that I can't believe such great wikis can come from a terrible administrated place such as Wikia. I mean, seriously, I found this piece of crap while fooling around on the internet. NO OFFENSE!!!!!!!!! I'm talking about the care that goes into some of the wikis, some can have 100,000 pages and be active everyday, but on some the creator could have made 1 page and forgot about the wiki forever. Blargh-a-dee-flarg!
I blame the economy.

Offline BrandedOne

• Fire Emblem Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2010, 05:09:38 AM »
Ah! I see. :D That makes much more sense. Gotta commend those that put time and effort into their wikis. Thanks for clarifying :) Let's hope the list of Wikia converts continues to grow in time.

Offline Maxite

• Icaruspedia Staff
  • Otaku Nut
    • View Profile
    • OtakuDeus
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2010, 05:50:10 AM »
N-n-n-n-n-n-n-no. I was simply implying that I can't believe such great wikis can come from a terrible administrated place such as Wikia. I mean, seriously, I found this piece of crap while fooling around on the internet. NO OFFENSE!!!!!!!!! I'm talking about the care that goes into some of the wikis, some can have 100,000 pages and be active everyday, but on some the creator could have made 1 page and forgot about the wiki forever. Blargh-a-dee-flarg!

I understand that we have a hatred for Wikia around here, but I think that's completely disingenuous to the communities there to insinuate that it is difficult to build great wikis/communities even on a controlling platform. Nintendo is very controlling of what goes on its platforms, more so than it's competitors. Yet here we have a community singing the praises of Nintendo. Why is that: Because Nintendo's controlling actions for its platforms doesn't really affect us, but it would affect a different community of gamers (homebrewers, modders, etc...), and they don't always have kind things to say about Nintendo.

In short: Don't let our perspective as a competitor of Wikia cloud your view that Wikia is still a useful tool to many people.

Offline SnorlaxMonster

• Bulbapedia Staff
  • Bulbapedia bureaucrat, Zelda Wiki administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2010, 11:45:16 AM »
There should be plenty of rubbish Wikias out there like this, but there are also plenty of rubbish wikis at other hosts. There are also independent ones, but there would be significantly fewer due to having to pay for them. It's not really Wikia's fault that it has these kind of wikis.

Offline Xizor

• Zelda Wiki Bureaucrat
  • Forum Administrator
  • Talk to me. :)
    • View Profile
    • Legend of Zelda.com
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2010, 06:55:11 PM »
I'm an admin at Bacon Wiki. I was going to apply for NIWA Membership next week.

Bureaucrat of

Offline Maxite

• Icaruspedia Staff
  • Otaku Nut
    • View Profile
    • OtakuDeus
« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2010, 07:05:57 PM »
Hell, there are independent wikis that are garbage as well.

Offline Solar Dragon

• Solor Extraho
    • View Profile
    • Wikisimpsons
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2010, 07:48:36 PM »

Ah, yes. The Bacon series of games was my favourite Nintendo series. Bacon Sizzling was the best game in the series by far!  :P

Offline Maxite

• Icaruspedia Staff
  • Otaku Nut
    • View Profile
    • OtakuDeus
« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2010, 08:11:32 PM »

Ah, yes. The Bacon series of games was my favourite Nintendo series. Bacon Sizzling was the best game in the series by far!  :P

aka the Cooking Mama franchise.

Offline Peanut64

• Pikmin Fanon Bureaucrat
  • Pikmin Fanon Staff
    • View Profile
    • Pikmin Fanon
« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2010, 02:36:05 AM »
In my days in Wikia I was guilty for making a wikia and then forgetting about it. I would make.. i don't even remember now.

Offline Dragonfree97

• Dragon Tamer
  • I be a Rathalos
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2010, 07:03:41 PM »
In my days in Wikia I was guilty for making a wikia and then forgetting about it. I would make.. i don't even remember now.

Same! I made a wiki for the Farmyard. I forgot after about 90 minutes. However, once I found http://egovernance.wikia.com/wiki/EGovernance_Solution_for_Urban_Local_Bodies that, it has one article, the main page, filled with all sorts of sexual spam.
Toast falls butter side down, right? And a cat always falls on it's feet. So what happens if we attach some toast, butter side up to the back of a cat, then drop said cat? Levitation!

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2010, 10:07:29 PM »

Same! I made a wiki for the Farmyard. I forgot after about 90 minutes. However, once I found http://egovernance.wikia.com/wiki/EGovernance_Solution_for_Urban_Local_Bodies that, it has one article, the main page, filled with all sorts of sexual spam.

I like the create an article button.  :D

Offline Archaic

• Bulbagarden Webmaster
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bulbagarden
« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2010, 12:38:13 AM »
Guys, I'm going to close this thread now. The Wikia offer to Bulbapedia was months and months and months ago now, having this constantly get bumped makes it look like a recent event, and misrepresenting what happened isn't in our best interests.