Author Topic: Alliance Requests  (Read 174059 times)

Offline Hotchmoney

• Wars Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Alliance Requests
« Reply #320 on: May 10, 2010, 02:27:16 AM »
So, in May the new wikis will be formally introduced into NIWA, we will introduce one each week, this is the calendar:

May 16th: WiKirby
May 23rd: Metroid Wiki
May 30th: Wars Wiki

Will the wikis be inducted only if they have met the 200-article mark by the induction date? Or is that policy being discarded?
Contributor to Wars Wiki interested in both helping NIWA and bringing Wars Wiki into it.

Offline Member#36

• Striving For A Perfect NIWA Unit
  • Retired Staff
  • Kirby, My Favorite Flavor
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 10, 2010, 05:57:14 PM »
Don't quote me for this: but I think they will join reguardless of the "they need 200 articles" propostion. 

Offline Tucayo

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • MarioWiki's Shroom
« Reply #322 on: May 10, 2010, 07:57:37 PM »
Hmmm.... Yeah, I think they will join anyway

Offline Hotchmoney

• Wars Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 10, 2010, 08:54:05 PM »
Don't quote me for this: but I think they will join regardless of the "they need 200 articles" proposition. 

So are we going to decide on some sort of requirements for induction in future wikis? If not the 200-article limit, then what?
Contributor to Wars Wiki interested in both helping NIWA and bringing Wars Wiki into it.

Offline Tucayo

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • MarioWiki's Shroom
« Reply #324 on: May 10, 2010, 09:08:10 PM »
We will use that requirement, along with the Activity one and some other things.

Offline Justin

• Code Junkie
  • Forum Administrator
  • NIWA's official code monkey
    • View Profile
    • Zelda Wiki
« Reply #325 on: May 10, 2010, 11:05:59 PM »
Yeah, barring them from joining when they were already approved would be like making an ex post facto law. But methinks that all three should whip into shape for the joining!
*runs off to WK*
~~~~
Server bureaucrat of Zelda Wiki. I fix what you break.

Also a tech administrator for Poniverse.

Offline immewnity

• 300dpi (Dimensional Scream)
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 19, 2010, 11:10:53 PM »
Are we going to need a Dragon Quest wiki, now that Nintendo's publishing it?

Offline Naesala

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 20, 2010, 02:38:11 AM »
Are we going to need a Dragon Quest wiki, now that Nintendo's publishing it?
sadly no, I already asked, since VII and VIII are one the playstation and ps2 respectively it doesn't meet the NIWA rules, the two of us could make one it doesn't have to be part of NIWA

Offline Level 3

• F-Zero Wiki Staff
  • Hey everyone, just here to help with the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 26, 2010, 12:35:52 AM »
Wait, what are the requirements for affiliation, but not full membership?

Admin at the F-Zero Wiki.

Offline Tucayo

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • MarioWiki's Shroom
« Reply #329 on: May 26, 2010, 09:03:15 PM »
Wait, what are the requirements for affiliation, but not full membership?
I am afraid I don't know them. I think it is necessary to be Nitnendo related and active, but I don't know the whole details

Offline Remino52

• PRISM STARS
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: June 02, 2010, 08:34:41 PM »
I'm not sure about everyone else, but I still feel that we aren't quite a community yet.  Yes, there is plenty of room to add more wikis/members, but quantity isn't the answer here.  I don't know what needs to happen, but we could be more of a unit.
    I think we need to take baby steps here. The NIWA community is almost entirely made up of the three founding members' communities (Bulbagarden, Mario Wiki, and Zelda Wiki), as Metroid Wiki and WiKirby were founded by these wikis (and you can count the number of active editors here at Wars Wiki with two hands). These three communities are well-developed and large, and, more importantly, independent. Furthermore, NIWA was formally created less than two months ago. I bet some editors don't even know NIWA exists, and that the vast majority have never been to this forum. Now I don't think the wikis are at fault: the three founding wikis are doing a good enough job of advertising NIWA's existence and linking to the other member wikis. Though this forum and the actual NIWA website could be linked to a bit more, I think that this is simply a matter of time and we just need to wait for people to trickle in and gain interest. I hope that eventually, some editors will not edit one wiki exclusively but will move between any number of NIWA wikis that they have the passion and knowledge to work on. (I think that an (optional) universal login would be necessary for this to come to fruition.) Also, we certainty don't want to disregard the existence of separate communities around each wiki; these are a very important part of the wikis and I doubt that any would want to be assimilated into a larger NIWA community.

The best way to catalyze this behavior, in my opinion, would be through the creation of alliance-wide projects and initiatives. This "NIWA Operative" idea that Austin suggested seems like a great idea that will help raise awareness of NIWA and help the wikis greatly. However, I think this could be expanded into a series of organized, cross-wiki efforts (or "NIWAProjects") to improve NIWA wikis. There could be NIWAProjects for new, developing wikis that need more editors, NIWAProjects that focus on improving spelling, grammar, and style across all wikis, NIWAProjects that work on improving infoboxes and other templates, et cetera. NIWAProjects could be organized on the forums, have their own task forces and leadership, and co-ordinate with the leadership of NIWA wikis within the NIWAProject's scope on various levels. I think this is a really interesting idea that could build bridges between the various communities, and would like to hear what you all think about it.

I've read through this post on the Suggestions topic, will we make a NIWA Projects topic, and this thread will be moved there essentially?

Look for Big Red on the Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst Private Servers.

Proud supporter of NIWA Wikis!

Offline Tucayo

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • MarioWiki's Shroom
« Reply #331 on: June 02, 2010, 08:40:02 PM »
I'm not sure about everyone else, but I still feel that we aren't quite a community yet.  Yes, there is plenty of room to add more wikis/members, but quantity isn't the answer here.  I don't know what needs to happen, but we could be more of a unit.
    I think we need to take baby steps here. The NIWA community is almost entirely made up of the three founding members' communities (Bulbagarden, Mario Wiki, and Zelda Wiki), as Metroid Wiki and WiKirby were founded by these wikis (and you can count the number of active editors here at Wars Wiki with two hands). These three communities are well-developed and large, and, more importantly, independent. Furthermore, NIWA was formally created less than two months ago. I bet some editors don't even know NIWA exists, and that the vast majority have never been to this forum. Now I don't think the wikis are at fault: the three founding wikis are doing a good enough job of advertising NIWA's existence and linking to the other member wikis. Though this forum and the actual NIWA website could be linked to a bit more, I think that this is simply a matter of time and we just need to wait for people to trickle in and gain interest. I hope that eventually, some editors will not edit one wiki exclusively but will move between any number of NIWA wikis that they have the passion and knowledge to work on. (I think that an (optional) universal login would be necessary for this to come to fruition.) Also, we certainty don't want to disregard the existence of separate communities around each wiki; these are a very important part of the wikis and I doubt that any would want to be assimilated into a larger NIWA community.

The best way to catalyze this behavior, in my opinion, would be through the creation of alliance-wide projects and initiatives. This "NIWA Operative" idea that Austin suggested seems like a great idea that will help raise awareness of NIWA and help the wikis greatly. However, I think this could be expanded into a series of organized, cross-wiki efforts (or "NIWAProjects") to improve NIWA wikis. There could be NIWAProjects for new, developing wikis that need more editors, NIWAProjects that focus on improving spelling, grammar, and style across all wikis, NIWAProjects that work on improving infoboxes and other templates, et cetera. NIWAProjects could be organized on the forums, have their own task forces and leadership, and co-ordinate with the leadership of NIWA wikis within the NIWAProject's scope on various levels. I think this is a really interesting idea that could build bridges between the various communities, and would like to hear what you all think about it.

I've read through this post on the Suggestions topic, will we make a NIWA Projects topic, and this thread will be moved there essentially?
We are talking this in the staff boards :)

Offline SMB

• Super Mario Bros.
  • Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 16, 2010, 05:03:16 AM »
An update:
A
Ace Attorney Wiki (it seems Turboo is working on having a wiki for this subject)
Animal Crossing (being discussed by staff)
C
Custom Robo (series)
D
Donkey Kong (Covered by Mario Wiki)
E
EarthBound (series) (it seems Tacopill is working on having a wiki for this subject)
F
F-Zero
Fire Emblem
G
Game & Watch
Golden Sun (series)
K
Kid Icarus (series)
Kirby (series) (WiKirby)
L
The Legend of Zelda (Zelda Wiki)
The Legendary Starfy (series)
M
Mario (series)
Mario Kart
Mario Party
(Mario wiki)
Metroid (series) (Metroid Wiki)
P
Pikmin (series)
Pokémon (video game series) (Bulbapedia)
Punch-Out!!
Puzzle League (series)
S
Star Fox (series) (I think that Neo is working on this with Tacopill...?)
Super Smash Bros. (series) (discussion has been going on for a while)
T
Touch! Generations
W
Wario (series) (Covered by Mario Wiki)
Wars (series) (Wars Wiki)
Y
Yoshi (Covered by Mario Wiki)

And now, for a list with all definitely covered subjects taken out of the list:
A
Ace Attorney Wiki (it seems Turboo is working on having a wiki for this subject)

C
Custom Robo (series)

E
EarthBound (series) (it seems Tacopill is working on having a wiki for this subject)

F
F-Zero
Fire Emblem

G
Game & Watch
Golden Sun (series)

K
Kid Icarus (series)

L

P
Pikmin (series)
Punch-Out!!
Puzzle League (series)

S

T
Touch! Generations

(Credit to Edofenrir for making it.)

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #333 on: June 16, 2010, 12:07:41 PM »
I am certainly working with Neo on Lylat Wiki....we are just taking a summer break. (PM me if you want the link)

The Earthbound wiki (name still TBD) is available here: Click me!

When these are up and running (and my summer job is done) the next franchises i want to hit are: Fire Emblem and Golden Sun.

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 16, 2010, 01:14:46 PM »
A

C
Custom Robo (series)

E

F
F-Zero
Fire Emblem

G
Game & Watch
Golden Sun (series)

K
Kid Icarus (series)

L

P
Pikmin (series)
Punch-Out!!
Puzzle League (series)

S

T
Touch! Generations

Touch Generations will more likely than not be covered by Gamehiker if they join NIWA.

Offline Naesala

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 17, 2010, 01:31:58 AM »
A

C
Custom Robo (series)

E

F
F-Zero
Fire Emblem

G
Game & Watch
Golden Sun (series)

K
Kid Icarus (series)

L

P
Pikmin (series)
Punch-Out!!
Puzzle League (series)

S

T
Touch! Generations

Touch Generations will more likely than not be covered by Gamehiker if they join NIWA.

also Game & Watch, Custom Robo, Punch-Out, Puzzle League and Starfy should be

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 18, 2010, 03:58:01 PM »
The Legendary Starfy, if it can find a community, probably has enough content for its own wiki. On an unrelated note, I am planning to begin a Kid Icarus Wiki for NIWA. If any one has any objections, please let them be known.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 04:00:35 PM by vince220 »

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #337 on: June 18, 2010, 04:18:51 PM »
No objections from me. If you need help, just give me a holler.

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 18, 2010, 05:16:20 PM »
Does anybody have any suggestions regarding the name of the wiki?

Here are just some that I've thought of: Kid Icarus Wiki, WiKid Icarus, Wiki Icarus, Palutenapedia, and Palutena's Encyclopedia

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #339 on: June 18, 2010, 06:19:03 PM »
I'd go with "Palutena's Encyclopedia", but I've never played Kid Icarus....