Author Topic: Is Peach a competent leader?  (Read 22390 times)

Offline Naesala

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Is Peach a competent leader?
« on: May 27, 2010, 04:21:23 PM »
 She is always getting kidnapped, she has little to no army, and according to SuperStar Saga 100 mushroom coins is equal to 99 Beanbean coins

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
Re: Is Peach a competent leader?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 04:43:48 PM »
She is always getting kidnapped, she has little to no army, and according to SuperStar Saga 100 mushroom coins is equal to 99 Beanbean coins

what's a beanbean coin?

Offline Naesala

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 04:44:43 PM »

what's a beanbean coin?

the money used in the Beanbean kingdom I guess

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 04:56:30 PM »
well, then we would need to know that state of the mushroom kingdom economy to use the exchange rate as evidence against or for her competence.

Anyway, i don't think we seen her actually....lead...to judge her. Not that she lacks the know-how; rather, the haven't been many opportunities to prove it one way or another.

But that's just my two cents.

Edit: her alway getting kidnapped is a part of the "rescue me" excuse plot, and they may not have the idea of an army to form one.....unless you count the toad guards. Seen in every game (not just superstar sage).

« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 04:58:44 PM by tacopill »

Offline Member#36

• Striving For A Perfect NIWA Unit
  • Retired Staff
  • Kirby, My Favorite Flavor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 07:29:47 PM »
{{Fixed}}

Depression
Poverty
Genocide

...that is all.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 07:38:41 PM by Maximum Pink »

Offline Edofenrir

• Card Carrying Villain
  • Super Mario Wiki Staff
  • Still has some unfinished business to take care of
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 09:29:51 PM »
Is Peach a competent leader.... hm... one could easily say she isn't....

In the "mainstream" series she doesn't appear to be very bright, letting herself be deceived by whatever poorly disguised plan Bowser comes up with (cake, anyone?). She is just very lucky to have Mario around who fixes almost every problem that arises. Without Mario, the whole kingdom would probably most likely collapse eventually.

However...

In the RPG series, she is usually quite capable and smart. While she still gets kidnapped rigtht and left, she actually manages to do something in these games, plays very important roles, is at points vital for Mario's success, and generally puts her damsel-counterpart from the other games to shame. In the RPG's Peach is actually one of my more favourite characters because of that.

That said the reason for Peach's reputation of being incompetent lies in Shigeru Miyamoto, since he said once in an interview that he is trying to keep Peach's personality at a minimum, thereby effectively turning her into a gullible damsel-in-distress by default to ensure Mario never loses his job.

A quote I once read about that subject springs to mind, that makes a good summary for it. "Mr. Miyamoto likes his women shallow and gullible."

So, to actually say something regarding the actual topic, I'd say "Yes, she is" in the RPGs and "No, she isn't", in most of the other games.

Remember, this is an opinion. Don't end up hurt by anything that does not conform to your views, as everything in there is subjective.
"Will you stop?!!? What fools!
Haven't you begun to understand? The kingdom being ruined and us left in this state...
Isn't it petty, little battles like this that have caused it?
Believing in your friends and embracing that belief by forgiving failure...
These feelings have vanished from our hearts."
-Igos Du Ikana, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Offline onetwentysix

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 11:23:54 PM »
well, then we would need to know that state of the mushroom kingdom economy to use the exchange rate as evidence against or for her competence.

Anyway, i don't think we seen her actually....lead...to judge her. Not that she lacks the know-how; rather, the haven't been many opportunities to prove it one way or another.

Edit: her alway getting kidnapped is a part of the "rescue me" excuse plot, and they may not have the idea of an army to form one.....unless you count the toad guards. Seen in every game (not just superstar sage).

HOw about let Daisy take over the Mushroom Kingdom and put Peach into exile because she is an incompetent ruler.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 01:14:31 AM »

HOw about let Daisy take over the Mushroom Kingdom and put Peach into exile because she is an incompetent ruler.

Like i said, there hasn't been enough opportunity for her prove her competence.

Also, the question of the topic is "Is Peach a competent leader?", so saying she is not competent and recommendation of her removal, would be "off-topic". And with no evidence, "Jumping the gun" can be added.

Offline Naesala

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 07:17:39 PM »

Like i said, there hasn't been enough opportunity for her prove her competence.

Also, the question of the topic is "Is Peach a competent leader?", so saying she is not competent and recommendation of her removal, would be "off-topic". And with no evidence, "Jumping the gun" can be added.
I was just trying to get a thread here that wasn't a "Favorite"

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 04:00:19 AM »

Sorry, i didn't mean to ruin the thread.

Offline Naesala

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 05:10:08 AM »

Sorry, i didn't mean to ruin the thread.

It's alright, I just want some more activity here

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 05:25:37 AM »
yeah....i'm trying to get that as well...

Offline Level 3

• F-Zero Wiki Staff
  • Hey everyone, just here to help with the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 02:18:00 PM »
While it's true we haven't seen much of Peach actually "leading" I don't expect her to be a competent one anyway, based on her character.

Admin at the F-Zero Wiki.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 09:37:11 PM »
While it's true we haven't seen much of Peach actually "leading" I don't expect her to be a competent one anyway, based on her character.

this, i agree with.

Offline mtn_otter

• Robot, Philosopher, Redneck, Cynic, Psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2010, 11:13:50 PM »
Input Error. Answer is dependent on a subjective adjective. Rephrase for accuracy.

Competent compared to what? Bowser? Daisy? Zelda? Or the "real" world's rulers? Do you honestly expect a video game character to exactly match up to earth's standards exactly?

You're both full of c***.  She is almost always being captured, she has no army, and she has allowed mushrooms to evolve legs, faces, and sentience. Even when she isn't, she's constantly running off on some vacation.

For that matter, do we even know if she's the ruler at all? How do we know there isn't a king?

Did you ever see a king? No? So no king.

By that logic, the soup chef Shimi made on the Poshley Express can't exist either, because it was eaten before the player could see it.

Now that's a completely different matter.

A king... I would love to sink a knife into his ribcage...
--------------------

And this proves that not only am I completely insane, but I am also capable of debating several different sides of an argument at once.
As a form of protest, I refuse to make a signature...

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2010, 11:19:54 PM »
Input Error. Answer is dependent on a subjective adjective. Rephrase for accuracy.

Competent compared to what? Bowser? Daisy? Zelda? Or the "real" world's rulers? Do you honestly expect a video game character to exactly match up to earth's standards exactly?

You're both full of c***.  She is almost always being captured, she has no army, and she has allowed mushrooms to evolve legs, faces, and sentience. Even when she isn't, she's constantly running off on some vacation.

For that matter, do we even know if she's the ruler at all? How do we know there isn't a king?

Did you ever see a king? No? So no king.

By that logic, the soup chef Shimi made on the Poshley Express can't exist either, because it was eaten before the player could see it.

Now that's a completely different matter.

A king... I would love to sink a knife into his ribcage...
--------------------

And this proves that not only am I completely insane, but I am also capable of debating several different sides of an argument at once.

Am i one of those two? b/c last i checked, i was full of cells, tissues, blood and organs.......and a hamster, currently taking up residence in my brain.

Offline mtn_otter

• Robot, Philosopher, Redneck, Cynic, Psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2010, 11:41:09 PM »
One of those two? There are five of us. For this mistake you must be killed.

Can I do it for you? I bet his screams would be lovely as I gouge out his eyes.

*hits above with rake* You ain't never gonna be one of us.

Well, there already is one of us. I am of the opinion that we are simply different reflections of...

Yes, I am the alter-ego man.

Than I am the ego man, gu-gu-gachoo.

How can a hamster have residence inside your brain? The human brain is inefficient enough to be made of solid matter, and thus impossible for a living macroorganism to inhabit.

--------------------

If that doesn't answer you question, I doubt anything will.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 01:37:17 AM by mtn_otter »
As a form of protest, I refuse to make a signature...

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2010, 11:57:04 PM »
you don't pay me. we don't even exist. we're just a clever metaphor to personify the abstract concept of thought in spongebob's brain
- Source

Combine that with the hamster metaphor used to symbolize thoughts in the Simpsons.

Offline Tucayo

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • MarioWiki's Shroom
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2010, 12:20:22 AM »
I think she is not.

TO clarify, 100 mushroom coins dont make 99 beanbean coins ;) beanbean coins are worth much less than mushroom coins. When Prince Peasley says he will give 99,999,999,999 coins to Mario and Luigi, that makes around 99 mushroom coins :) Just clarifying

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2010, 12:37:24 AM »
keep in mind, also, exchange rates don't necessarily reflect the state of an economy. Rather, it states how the economy is doing relative to the other one.

So, the mushroom kingdom's economy may or may not be doing well, but it is doing a whole lot better that the economy of the Beanbean kingdom. 

at least, that is my observation.