Author Topic: Patrolling  (Read 9353 times)

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
Patrolling
« on: August 06, 2010, 02:48:04 AM »
Hey guys, got a few questions for you on patrolling.

• How does patrolling work?
  • How does one patrol an edit?
  • Why do we patrol edits?
  • What happens when i need to patrol an edit, but "marked as patrol" doesn't show up?

(note: i already know some of this information, but i figured i ask certain questions for the sake of those who may read this some time in the future and/or doesn't know how these things work).

Offline Moydow

• NIWA Coordinator
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fire Emblem Wiki
Re: Patrolling
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 03:10:36 AM »
Hey guys, got a few questions for you on patrolling.

• How does patrolling work?
  • How does one patrol an edit?
  • Why do we patrol edits?
  • What happens when i need to patrol an edit, but "marked as patrol" doesn't show up?

(note: i already know some of this information, but i figured i ask certain questions for the sake of those who may read this some time in the future and/or doesn't know how these things work).

• 1. On Special:RecentChanges, all users with the required rights will see a red exclamation mark (!) beside an un-patrolled edit. They may check the 'diff' of this edit, and patrol it, or take other required actions.
  • 2. Only users with the 'patrol' right may patrol edits. Beside an un-patrolled edit in Special:RecentChanges, these users should see red exclamation marks. To patrol the edit, click the 'diff' button beside this mark. This page highlights the changes made by this edit. Underneath the listings of who made this edit and when is a link: 'Mark as patrolled'. If the edit is not vandalism, or does not need to be fixed, click this link. If it is vandalism, click the 'Rollback' link. If it must be edited, do this before patrolling the edit. New pages have the Mark as patrolled link at the very bottom.
  • 3. Patrolling is a system by which an administrator or patroller may notify other patrollers that a specific edit is of an acceptable quality.
  • 4. In the unlikely event that this may happen, another patroller may have already patrolled the edit. If not, try again.

Administrators and other users with the 'Autopatrol' right automatically have their edits marked as patrolled.

Hope this helps! :mario: If I missed something, please say so below.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 03:15:06 AM by Moydow »
NIWA Coordinator

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 03:31:38 AM »
    • 4. In the unlikely event that this may happen, another patroller may have already patrolled the edit. If not, try again.

There is one, at Lylat Wiki. The "marked as patrolled" doesn't show up in history, previous versions of a page or something similar. Rather, i found it on the regular view of the page. No history, no difference comparisons, no viewing of previous versions. Just the current one.

I think this is because the page only has one version thus far. 

Offline Moydow

• NIWA Coordinator
    • Forum Administrator
      • View Profile
      • Fire Emblem Wiki
    « Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 03:38:58 AM »
    It isn't supposed to appear in the page history. It appears in Special:Log, in the Patrol log.
    NIWA Coordinator

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
      • View Profile
      • csanimefan
    « Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 03:43:38 AM »
    It isn't supposed to appear in the page history. It appears in Special:Log, in the Patrol log.

well, i mean the "[mark as patrol]" link doesn't appear where i usually see it.

Offline Moydow

• NIWA Coordinator
    • Forum Administrator
      • View Profile
      • Fire Emblem Wiki
    « Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 03:47:49 AM »
    Sounds like a new page. I see now I wasn't too clear about that. To patrol a new page, click on the link to the page beside the 'N' mark. The mark as patrolled link is at the bottom (the page appears as it does normally). A normal link to the page will not allow you to patrol it.
    « Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 03:53:14 AM by Moydow »
    NIWA Coordinator

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
      • View Profile
      • csanimefan
    « Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 03:53:15 AM »
    Sounds like a new page. I see now I wasn't too clear about that. To patrol a new page, click on the link to the page beside the 'N' mark. The mark as patrolled link is at the bottom (the page appears as it does normally). Alternatively, browse to the page via Special:NewPages.

Ah, makes sense now. thank you for the info.

Offline Justin

• Code Junkie
    • Forum Administrator
    • NIWA's official code monkey
      • View Profile
      • Zelda Wiki
    « Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 04:27:23 AM »
    Extra bit: Something no patroller/administrator should be without is the patrol tab. It's a script which adds a tab at the top when patrolling edits. You can hit alt+shift+1 (in Firefox) or alt+1 to patrol an edit and then press it again at the "marked as patrolled" screen to return to the unpatrolled RC. It's an invaluable tool. It can be found properly labeled in the admin script of Zelda Wiki.org. Look here.

It kicks butt for reals.  8)
    ~~~~
    Server bureaucrat of Zelda Wiki. I fix what you break.

Also a tech administrator for Poniverse.

Offline Moydow

• NIWA Coordinator
    • Forum Administrator
      • View Profile
      • Fire Emblem Wiki
    « Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 05:34:20 AM »
    One of the bureaucrats at StrategyWiki, Ryan Schmidt, wrote something similar in JavaScript. When you click on the Mark as patrolled link, it patrols the edit and automatically moves on to the next unpatrolled edit to that page (when it reaches the end of the line, you get a message 'Done. You may now browse away from the page.') Though it isn't guaranteed to work.

It's on my JS page there under Ajax Patrol: here.
    If you want to use it, you'll need to change importScript to importScriptURI... and something else I can't quite remember. Use the full url instead of the SW page name, or something like that. You probably should credit him, with a comment line such as //by Ryan Schmidt. It's the honourable thing to do, I guess. You'll also need to import the top 'Common library of functions' line, and put it at the very top of the JS page.
    NIWA Coordinator

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
      • View Profile
      • csanimefan
    « Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 01:49:04 PM »
    thanks for the help guys. I hoping this goes in the niwa meta-wiki, if it comes to be.

Offline Moydow

• NIWA Coordinator
    • Forum Administrator
      • View Profile
      • Fire Emblem Wiki
    « Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 02:11:49 AM »
    I hoping this goes in the niwa meta-wiki, if it comes to be.
    I hope that does happen. It seems like a very good idea.
    NIWA Coordinator