Author Topic: The Official Manga Thread  (Read 26438 times)

Offline BoredPikachu!

• That bored Pikachu
    • View Profile
The Official Manga Thread
« on: February 16, 2010, 02:30:11 AM »
Let's start a thread for manga. Talk about your favorite manga series here.

For me, my favorite manga is Yotsuba&!, written from the same person who wrote Azumanga Daioh. Like Azumanga Daioh, Yotsuba&!'s plot has kept me interested in it and see how the author's style has changed since his last series.
  <Visit Professor Layton at Wikii

Offline Mari-Illustrious-Makinami

• The First Children
  • Nintendo Master
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: The Official Manga Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 02:32:32 AM »
For me, my favorite manga is Yotsuba&!, written from the same person who wrote Azumanga Daioh. Like Azumanga Daioh, Yotsuba&!'s plot has kept me interested in it and see how the author's style has changed since his last series.
This exactly. :P

Offline Garlic Man

• Fluent Japanese Speaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 03:13:59 AM »
I'd probably say my favorite all time manga is Kinniku Man.

Offline Zoroark

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 03:15:53 AM »
I only like shonen.

MOD EDIT: Image was too big. Feel free to remove this message.

Offline Garlic Man

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 04:37:57 AM »
I also read Super Mario-Kun.

Offline Kunoichi

• Hi thar. ;3
    • View Profile
    • Live Journal! ;3
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 05:48:15 AM »
It's been a while since I sat down and read manga..
Any recommendations?
I like pretty much anything. xD

Hi~ <3

Offline ??s?????c

• Bulbapedia Staff
  • ?_?
    • View Profile
    • Bulbagarden.
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 05:59:50 AM »
I'm still kinda following Bleach, although they've been dragging that story out for quite some time now :/

I've also read some Code Geease(?), Naruto, One Piece and some others I don't recall. I didn't find those "fun" though for some reason.

Offline Garlic Man

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 06:39:13 AM »
I feel so old-school for listing all these old Japanese comics, but Doraemon and Sazae-san are classics.

Offline Kunoichi

• Hi thar. ;3
    • View Profile
    • Live Journal! ;3
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 06:41:53 AM »
Awww I have a doraemon plushie <33
It's been so long since I've read the manga. xD
I kinda want to now. *-*;
Hi~ <3

Offline Zesty Cactus

• Bulbapedia Staff
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 07:39:58 AM »
Always a fan of Sailor Moon, although I'm not as familiar with the manga as I am with the anime. I've gotten into Peach Girl lately, that's been fun to read, too. Pokemon Adventures is always fun, and I like the Zelda manga too. I'm sort of all over the place with manga. :P

Offline Kunoichi

• Hi thar. ;3
    • View Profile
    • Live Journal! ;3
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 07:44:02 AM »
Always a fan of Sailor Moon, although I'm not as familiar with the manga as I am with the anime. I've gotten into Peach Girl lately, that's been fun to read, too. Pokemon Adventures is always fun, and I like the Zelda manga too. I'm sort of all over the place with manga. :P

Ooooh! Peach Girl <33
I used to LOVE that manga. x3
It's been a few years since I read it though.
Hi~ <3

Offline Zesty Cactus

• Bulbapedia Staff
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 07:47:14 AM »

Ooooh! Peach Girl <33

I'm almost done, I'm on like, Change of Heart volume seven ^^ it's so intense, I love it! haha

Offline Kunoichi

• Hi thar. ;3
    • View Profile
    • Live Journal! ;3
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 07:50:17 AM »

Ooooh! Peach Girl <33

I'm almost done, I'm on like, Change of Heart volume seven ^^ it's so intense, I love it! haha

Intense. Yeahh.. I remember having mini heart attacks reading peach girl. xD
Momo used to drive me crazy! So did.. whats her face.. evil evil girl. Sae, I think.
Have you read her manga yet? xD I heard she had her own version. But I have yet to read it.
She used to bother me in Peach Girl, not sure if I could stand her OWN series, y'know? ^^;
Hi~ <3

Offline Zesty Cactus

• Bulbapedia Staff
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 07:52:38 AM »

Ooooh! Peach Girl <33

Momo used to drive me crazy! So did.. whats her face.. evil evil girl. Sae, I think.
Have you read her manga yet? xD I heard she had her own version. But I have yet to read it.
She used to bother me in Peach Girl, not sure if I could stand her OWN series, y'know? ^^;

I don't mind Momo, actually, but Sae drives me NUTS! I spent so much time wanting to like, stab her through the page XD!

I haven't read her manga yet because supposedly it takes place ~after~ the main series and this series is pretty spoiler-heavy so yeah. :P I do plan to eventually read it, though. Just 'cause.

Offline Kunoichi

• Hi thar. ;3
    • View Profile
    • Live Journal! ;3
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 07:55:17 AM »

Ooooh! Peach Girl <33

I don't mind Momo, actually, but Sae drives me NUTS! I spent so much time wanting to like, stab her through the page XD!

I haven't read her manga yet because supposedly it takes place ~after~ the main series and this series is pretty spoiler-heavy so yeah. :P I do plan to eventually read it, though. Just 'cause.

Oh seriously? Good to know.
It's been such a long time I can't even remember if I ever finished PG or not. o_O
Now half of me wants to start from the beginning. xD
Just cause its around midnight and I really have no plans to sleep anytime soon.
I've been meaning to start reading again so it works. huzzaah <3
Hi~ <3

Offline Zesty Cactus

• Bulbapedia Staff
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm profile
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 08:26:52 AM »

Ooooh! Peach Girl <33

It's been such a long time I can't even remember if I ever finished PG or not. o_O
Just cause its around midnight and I really have no plans to sleep anytime soon.

Haha, you should do it! :P
Wow, only midnight? It's just past three where I am... XD
I was stupid and had a cup of coffee at like, 10:00, so I'm still wired.

Offline Kunoichi

• Hi thar. ;3
    • View Profile
    • Live Journal! ;3
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, 09:00:11 AM »

Ooooh! Peach Girl <33

Haha, you should do it! :P
Wow, only midnight? It's just past three where I am... XD
I was stupid and had a cup of coffee at like, 10:00, so I'm still wired.

Ahahaha! How I would kill for a cup of coffee right now. o_o;
And just to keep this conversation on topic:
While having a coffeeless night I finished the first peach girl volume!
Gosh, it brought back tons of memories. *-*;

Earlier, someone mentioned Doraemon so I must read that now. lol
Why not have a random manga night I guess. xD
Hi~ <3

Offline Level 3

• F-Zero Wiki Staff
  • Hey everyone, just here to help with the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 03:42:32 PM »
I'm still kinda following Bleach, although they've been dragging that story out for quite some time now :/

I've also read some Code Geease(?), Naruto, One Piece and some others I don't recall. I didn't find those "fun" though for some reason.

I've followed Bleach too, it's just that, in the recent storyline it's been well over a hundred chapters but not a single day passed in the story.

Admin at the F-Zero Wiki.

Offline hateichikage

• View Profile
    • Pokémon: Council of Legends RPG
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2010, 02:01:09 AM »
Naruto is really the only Manga I read regularly anymore... because it is the only ongoing plot line that makes any coherent sense... and it appropriately masculine for my tastes. In the past I have enjoyed reading Death Note, and a countless others... but over all... a lot of Manga actually disappoint me in comparison to the anime counterparts. You might just call this a "lazy" complex... though rest assured I have read a fare share of good manga in my time.

One of the most disturbing I ever read was Barefoot Gen... an autobiographical manga written about the bombing of Hiroshima. It is very disturbing because all of it happened to directly, or to someone the author knew. I think that all politicians and nuclear weaponry advocates should read this manga. It certainly shifted even my already generally pacifistic views, and I think it is a very important part of world history for everyone to know. But again, I must emphasize that it is extremely disturbing! If you are not at least high school age, I would not recommend looking into it just yet!
?????

Offline Zesty Cactus

• Bulbapedia Staff
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2010, 02:41:37 AM »
One of the most disturbing I ever read was Barefoot Gen... an autobiographical manga written about the bombing of Hiroshima. It is very disturbing because all of it happened to directly, or to someone the author knew. I think that all politicians and nuclear weaponry advocates should read this manga. It certainly shifted even my already generally pacifistic views, and I think it is a very important part of world history for everyone to know. But again, I must emphasize that it is extremely disturbing! If you are not at least high school age, I would not recommend looking into it just yet!
I've read the first couple of volumes of that. Really gripping stuff. The author was an atomic bomb survivor, btw.

When I went to Japan, we went to the a-bomb museum. Soooo interesting yet creepy. (although I just love war history)