Author Topic: Two questions?  (Read 9621 times)

Offline dantman

• View Profile
    • Daniel Friesen (DanTMan, Nadir Seen Fire)
Two questions?
« on: November 10, 2010, 10:54:19 AM »
Two questions here...

Firstly, is there any wiki here that was interested in Monaco? I know it had faults, and it was a Wikia skin, but there were some good ideas in it (iconified tabs do make it easier to use, hover menu navigation, etc...). So, were there any wiki's here or anyone who missed Monaco when the wiki went independent?

Why? I was 1/3 the way through porting Wikia's Monaco skin to be a generic skin installable on any MediaWiki installation, was wondering if anyone actually wanted me to complete it so it could be used.

And lastly, if someone offered MediaWiki hosting, do you think there are any wiki in the network that would want to take them up on it?

By hosting, I mean actual hosting, not Wikia style WikiFarming, hosting as in the kind of hosting relationship any NIWA wiki already has with the company who hosts their webspace... except instead of offering Shared, Dedicated, VPS, or Cloud hosting, it being dedicated MediaWiki hosting, with someone who knows the software managing it on a level including the features that let MediaWiki run on a network of servers that can handle a high load of readers.

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
Re: Two questions?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 06:28:31 PM »
How much would the dedicated MediaWiki hosting cost?

Offline dantman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 06:58:07 PM »
How much would the dedicated MediaWiki hosting cost?
Well, I was just asking now, thinking of going over the details later... would probably be based on the server costs divided among the wiki being hosted based on percentage of traffic going to the wiki.

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 09:10:48 PM »
I have a wiki on Wikkii.com that I would consider moving to the MediaWiki servers if the price is right.

Offline dantman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 10:05:38 PM »
I have a wiki on Wikkii.com that I would consider moving to the MediaWiki servers if the price is right.
The hosting I'm thinking of is for existing independent wiki, the ones with really high reader traffic... I wasn't thinking of the single-server type setup, rather multi-server setup with load balancing, varnish, slave dbs, etc...

EDIT: I got an ok from my boss, so I started a new post on it: http://www.niwanetwork.org/forums/index.php?topic=527.0
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 03:23:03 AM by dantman »

Offline Volatile Dweevil

• Pikmin Fanon Staff
  • Pikipedia Staff
  • I'm known as Volatile Dweevil on all NIWA wikis.
    • View Profile
    • Volatile Dweevil's Website
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 06:12:34 AM »
Is there any wiki here that was interested in Monaco? I know it had faults, and it was a Wikia skin, but there were some good ideas in it (iconified tabs do make it easier to use, hover menu navigation, etc...). So, were there any wiki's here or anyone who missed Monaco when the wiki went independent?

Why? I was 1/3 the way through porting Wikia's Monaco skin to be a generic skin installable on any MediaWiki installation, was wondering if anyone actually wanted me to complete it so it could be used.

Monaco has its faults, but if you can turn it to a "normal" Mediawiki skin it could make a nice option. I know lots of wikis migrating from wikia wish to keep the skin, and though I personally like Monobook better, you could most certainly catch the attention of several wikis with that concept.

Offline porplemontage

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
  • Mario was here
    • View Profile
    • Super Mario Wiki
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 05:41:49 PM »
Yeah, I'd love to have a normalized Monaco.
Steve

Offline dantman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 07:43:32 PM »
Yeah, I'd love to have a normalized Monaco.
Care to comment on the other question ie: http://www.niwanetwork.org/forums/index.php?topic=527.0 ?

Offline Dragonfree97

• Dragon Tamer
  • I be a Rathalos
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 09:01:06 PM »

Firstly, is there any wiki here that was interested in Monaco? I know it had faults, and it was a Wikia skin, but there were some good ideas in it (iconified tabs do make it easier to use, hover menu navigation, etc...). So, were there any wiki's here or anyone who missed Monaco when the wiki went independent?

One of the reasons we merged with ACWiki.me was because we hated the new skin. Monaco was awesome, hands down.
Toast falls butter side down, right? And a cat always falls on it's feet. So what happens if we attach some toast, butter side up to the back of a cat, then drop said cat? Levitation!

Offline porplemontage

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
  • Mario was here
    • View Profile
    • Super Mario Wiki
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 09:02:43 PM »
Steve