Author Topic: Donkey Kong Wiki problem  (Read 26810 times)

Offline Seaweed

• View Profile
Re: Donkey Kong Wiki problem
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2010, 06:53:54 AM »
Super Mario Wiki should be changed into Nintendo wiki and combine all the NIWA wikis. That would be awsome.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2010, 06:59:40 AM »
no, i think that would be going a little too far. Each wiki has it's own histories, styles. etc. Just as each franchise does.

Offline Malake256

• Metroid Wiki Staff
  • It actually glows...
    • View Profile
    • Metroid Wiki Admin
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2010, 06:25:36 PM »
Haha, how bout just some sort of nintendo wiki separatefrom other wikis. yes yes.. that would be cool.
My Weavile Brick Breaks Blisseys :)

Offline Rare Lover

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2010, 06:00:47 AM »
This is a simple thing to settle.  When you get right down to the basics, Mario Wiki views the Donkey Kong content as a spin-off while Donkey Kong views it as the base, and views the Mario sports titles as cross-overs.  This is my problem with Donkey Kong Wiki (one that is getting much better with DKCR), it should view the Donkey Kong series as its own entity, because that's what it is.  The world of Donkey Kong Country is a vibrant world that tries to immerse you in it's environments.  It has a real life nature feel to it, which is completely different from Mario which has smiling clouds and magic mushrooms.

They are fundamentally different universes that stem from the same game, Donkey Kong.

Donkey Kong split off into two spin-offs, Donkey Kong Jr. and Mario Bros.

Mario Bros. set up Mario and Luigi as well as the more run and jump gameplay, from there Super Mario Bros. came out and gave Mario his own universe to live in.

Donkey Kong Jr. set up Donkey Kong as an adventurer going through the Jungle, collecting bananas and climbing vines, from there Donkey Kong Country came out and gave Donkey Kong his own universe to live in.

Mario Wiki should treat everything as a spin-off of the Mario series that went,
Donkey Kong -> Mario Bros. -> Super Mario Bros. -> everything we know and love

While Donkey Kong Wiki should treat everything as a spin-off of the Donkey Kong series that went,
Donkey Kong -> Donkey Kong Jr. -> Donkey Kong Country -> everything we know and love

Articles like "Mario Hoops 3-on-3" should distinguish the Kong elements from the rest of the game, and take particular notice of those elements.  As well as offering a look at the game from a Donkey Kong fan's perspective.  I bought many s***ty Mario spin-offs just for Donkey Kong's appearance and it would be nice to have a wiki look at those games the same way I did growing up and still to this day.  For example, write about how "DK Pass" is probably located on Gorilla Glacier or some stuff like that.

Here's a better example, Mario Wiki says that DK Island is in Mushroom World, in Mushroom Galaxy, etc.  In most of the Donkey Kong games, there are many allusions to our own planet earth, and virtually none to a Mushroom World.  This is because Mario Wiki views DK as a spin-off.  A Donkey Kong Wiki would write that DK Island is probably located on our own planet earth off the coast of Africa as that is what is suggested at most times (hell, in DK Jungle Climber you can see the planet and the continents off earth)/

There's my two cents.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 06:05:20 AM by Rare Lover »

Offline Seaweed

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2010, 06:22:03 AM »
This is a simple thing to settle.  When you get right down to the basics, Mario Wiki views the Donkey Kong content as a spin-off while Donkey Kong views it as the base, and views the Mario sports titles as cross-overs.  This is my problem with Donkey Kong Wiki (one that is getting much better with DKCR), it should view the Donkey Kong series as its own entity, because that's what it is.  The world of Donkey Kong Country is a vibrant world that tries to immerse you in it's environments.  It has a real life nature feel to it, which is completely different from Mario which has smiling clouds and magic mushrooms.

They are fundamentally different universes that stem from the same game, Donkey Kong.

Donkey Kong split off into two spin-offs, Donkey Kong Jr. and Mario Bros.

Mario Bros. set up Mario and Luigi as well as the more run and jump gameplay, from there Super Mario Bros. came out and gave Mario his own universe to live in.

Donkey Kong Jr. set up Donkey Kong as an adventurer going through the Jungle, collecting bananas and climbing vines, from there Donkey Kong Country came out and gave Donkey Kong his own universe to live in.

Mario Wiki should treat everything as a spin-off of the Mario series that went,
Donkey Kong -> Mario Bros. -> Super Mario Bros. -> everything we know and love

While Donkey Kong Wiki should treat everything as a spin-off of the Donkey Kong series that went,
Donkey Kong -> Donkey Kong Jr. -> Donkey Kong Country -> everything we know and love

Articles like "Mario Hoops 3-on-3" should distinguish the Kong elements from the rest of the game, and take particular notice of those elements.  As well as offering a look at the game from a Donkey Kong fan's perspective.  I bought many s***ty Mario spin-offs just for Donkey Kong's appearance and it would be nice to have a wiki look at those games the same way I did growing up and still to this day.  For example, write about how "DK Pass" is probably located on Gorilla Glacier or some stuff like that.

Here's a better example, Mario Wiki says that DK Island is in Mushroom World, in Mushroom Galaxy, etc.  In most of the Donkey Kong games, there are many allusions to our own planet earth, and virtually none to a Mushroom World.  This is because Mario Wiki views DK as a spin-off.  A Donkey Kong Wiki would write that DK Island is probably located on our own planet earth off the coast of Africa as that is what is suggested at most times (hell, in DK Jungle Climber you can see the planet and the continents off earth)/

There's my two cents.

Well said, the only problem is that Mario and Donkey Kong stil appear all the time together in spin offs and Mario vs. Donkey Kong was just released. So they are still sort of the same series. I also don't know why the Mario wiki has articles about Link and Kirby, they are hardly ever together and yet they get there own article, all the SSB characters and DK should just link the person to the NIWA that is more specific about that person.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2010, 02:02:55 PM »
Ok, while i agree with you there coverage is a little too broad, it appears we are arguing in Circles. I am going to say my two cents, and then recommend this thread for closing.

Take a look as MW:CV

Based on MarioWiki:Canonicity, there is no "canon" regarding the Mario franchise. Since there is no canon, we cover any Mario relate media product given some sort of official authorization by Nintendo at some point in time, be it through the Official Nintendo Seal or a contract with another company, etc. All content from such sources is allowed on this wiki, without speculating on what content from what source is more officia than other content from other sources. As Nintendo has never established an official canon regarding the Mario series, we cannot say newer or older Nintendo games, media, content, policies, etc. are more official than the others. They are all essentially as official as each other.

It states that the wiki chooses to cover Mario-related Anything from the original Donkey Kong to Super Mario Galaxy 2. Now, Banjo maybe stretching it a little (since he is the main character of

Banjo-Kazooie -> which is a spin off of Diddy Kong Racing -> which is a side game of Donkey Kong Country -> which helped Donkey Kong establish his own franchise separate from Mario.

), but still, the important part of this is that the wiki chooses to cover it. NIWA has taken the position that if the wiki chooses to cover it, then let them, so long as a current member doesn't already cover it. Just the same, a new member can't join, unless a wiki with a similar coverage policy lets them.

Since NIWA accepted DK Wiki as a member, the DK Wiki had to have permission from Super Mario Wiki to Join. And it did. Do you honestly expect NIWA to turn around and say "Sorry, we have to kick you out. We have Mario Wiki".

Just the same, do you thing NIWA will tell Super Mario Wiki, one of the founding wikis by the way, "Sorry, but we need you to remove all DK stuff because we now have DK Wiki".

No, I don't think so. Why? because there is something more important than coverage at the core of these decisions: The principle of Choice.

It is that principle that the alliance was founded under, and the principle that has guided the alliance ever since.

Every wiki that comes to us, has chosen to be a member; just as niwa has chosen to include each and every wiki so far.

Offline Tucayo

• Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • MarioWiki's Shroom
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2010, 09:30:53 PM »
Couldn't have said it better, taco

Offline Xizor

• Zelda Wiki Bureaucrat
  • Forum Administrator
  • Talk to me. :)
    • View Profile
    • Legend of Zelda.com
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2010, 10:14:01 PM »
Not to mention, NIWA has no authority over its members. We're not here to provide singular sources of information; on the contrary, I feel that if there's some crossover, it just means there's more information for our viewers to get. We only preserve content solidarity for the purpose of benefiting the member wiki in question.

Nobody will think to go to SMW for Donkey Kong information as long as Donkey Kong Wiki is on the hub page. I know I wouldn't, even knowing that there is DK information at SMW.

Bureaucrat of

Offline HavocReaper48

• The Falcon Punch Master
  • Donkey Kong Wiki Staff
  • Orly?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2010, 11:39:56 PM »
@Rarelover: Extremely well put. However the wiki itself is short of contributors now and I barely know much about DK past the 'Country trilogy myself. If you set some examples on the wiki that would be great.

@Taco: Well said, well said. I wouldn't close the thread just yet though, perhaps a little longer if anyone else has any more cents to spare.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2010, 12:43:22 AM »
@Tucayo, User:HavocReaper48: Thank you, both. I try my best.

And i only close topics i start and feel have finished, i'm not experienced enough to feel i can justify closing this thread.

Offline Archaic

• Bulbagarden Webmaster
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bulbagarden
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2010, 08:42:06 PM »
It's probably worth noting here that the one who's providing the hosting to DK wiki is (if I'm not mistaken), Super Mario Wiki owner Porplemontage. I'm assuming he's got some kind of long term plan to avoid having too much crossover or something.