Author Topic: Whatever happened to SEIWA?  (Read 27270 times)

Offline Justin

• Code Junkie
  • Forum Administrator
  • NIWA's official code monkey
    • View Profile
    • Zelda Wiki
Re: Whatever happened to SEIWA?
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2010, 06:49:19 PM »
What are you guys even talking about? Does SEIWA even exist? Does anything else even exist? Is NIWA finished? Are you finished? What else do you have to deal with? Start thinking, guys, rather than just talking about stuff that sounds cool.

These other "IWA" organizations needs to come up on their own. We cannot make them. We SHOULDN'T make them. NIWA worked because of why we made it, and we did not make it for no reason. So far, I see no reason why any other IWA should exist if the Wikis who would join it don't seem to want it enough to do it themselves.

This post did not need reporting. Whoever reported it probably misunderstood his intention. I think he's saying focus on NIWA and don't worry about branching out and making other organizations.
~~~~
Server bureaucrat of Zelda Wiki. I fix what you break.

Also a tech administrator for Poniverse.

Offline Maxite

• Icaruspedia Staff
  • Otaku Nut
    • View Profile
    • OtakuDeus
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2010, 07:11:58 PM »
The growth of communities should not be decided by outsiders who have nothing but political stakes, but by those who are insiders who have so much more to gain (and lose) with the growth of their communities.
I think some comments are a bit short-sighted in that they assume that everyone in NIWA is focused purely on NIWA: that isn't the case. Some of us are anime fans, some of us are Square Enix fans. Some of us are Capcom fans, music fans, and other types of fans. The unifying bonds are that we all enjoy Nintendo games, and that we all participate in NIWA. That does not mean that we can not--and should not--participate in other communities that hold our interests.

As fans of other communities, we are free to share ideas we've come to learn here with our other homes, and try and improve them. The other IWA organizations will come up on their own, both by themselves and because we as NIWA exist and have influenced some of their members who are also our members.

We are not a single island in the vast whiteness of the internet, we are still a rather small suburb that is part of a rather vast city that many of us commute to every day.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 07:13:55 PM by Maxite »

Offline Xizor

• Zelda Wiki Bureaucrat
  • Forum Administrator
  • Talk to me. :)
    • View Profile
    • Legend of Zelda.com
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2010, 11:10:23 AM »
I'm a fan of a lot more than Nintendo, but it would be prudent to focus on NIWA first, or to instead go off and do these other ventures and not try to do both.

Ultimately what I'm saying is that I'd like for us to worry about NIWA first and foremost, rather than non-existent organizations, here at the NIWA forums....

Peace and love to the cat who reported me to myself. :P I replied via email.

Bureaucrat of

Offline Maxite

• Icaruspedia Staff
  • Otaku Nut
    • View Profile
    • OtakuDeus
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2010, 05:34:48 PM »
NIWA isn't going to be suffering from some people shifting focus onto other ventures. NIWA is well staffed, and the member wikis are well staffed. Plenty of attention is being given to NIWA from what I can see, and if there was a shortage of help I'm sure that problem would be worked on. If there is a problem, I am sadly not aware of it because I would like to help.

As far as using NIWA resources to aid in organizing other IWAs, that's a matter of policy that would need to be discussed and worked out, and made public. But I do agree that it seems a bit odd that we are discussing such things here, but then again I've seen arguments made that one of NIWA's goals is to promote wiki independence, and thus helping to organize/start up other IWAs would be in line with those goals.

Offline Nintendoguy1

• Marioguy1
  • Super Mario Wiki Staff
  • It's a beautiful country.
    • View Profile
    • Userpedia
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2010, 05:48:06 PM »
If anyone wants to create another IWA, NIWA isn't stopping them. But at the moment, the NIWA staff are focusing on improving NIWA and nobody has the will to create another IWA.

(see that's why Edofenrir is awesome)

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2010, 07:04:48 PM »
If anyone wants to create another IWA, NIWA isn't stopping them. But at the moment, the NIWA staff are focusing on improving NIWA and nobody has the will to create another IWA.

"Nobody" in general or amongst the current "NIWA" staff?

Offline Nintendoguy1

• Marioguy1
  • Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • Userpedia
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2010, 12:19:27 AM »
"Nobody" as the entire staff put together as one person.

Offline Maxite

• Icaruspedia Staff
  • Otaku Nut
    • View Profile
    • OtakuDeus
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2010, 12:31:24 AM »
Well thank god that not everyone on these forums are staff, otherwise SEIWA would never get done! </sarcasm>

The more serious point: There are individual staffers who probably have plenty of free time to work on side projects. There are also plenty of non-staff on these boards (and on the individual member wikis) who are also working on side projects.

In summary: Let's be careful in making blanket statements. They may be generally true, but there are always exceptions.

Offline Nintendoguy1

• Marioguy1
  • Super Mario Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • Userpedia
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2010, 12:57:58 AM »
That was no a blanket statement.

"the NIWA staff" in no way makes a reference to every individual staff. It implies the staff as a group, it could mean the individual members but it doesn't have to, which makes it not a blanket statement.

Anyways, grammar lesson aside, I think SEIWA could be done if a bunch of users organized themselves together, the staff don't have to take part. Just look at the "DAWN" thing.

Offline Miles of SmashWiki

• Sinister Trivia Villain
  • SmashWiki Staff
  • "Trying to seem mysterious is my hobby."
    • View Profile
    • AllisBrawl profile
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2010, 01:05:16 AM »
Fun fact. You want in on staff discussions? Start a good Nintendo wiki, build a community, and get it into NIWA.

Srsbsns is always lurking (?_?)

Offline Maxite

• Icaruspedia Staff
  • Otaku Nut
    • View Profile
    • OtakuDeus
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2010, 01:30:42 AM »
There been any updates regarding Kingdom Hearts moving towards independence, or are they still planning out the details?

Furthermore, why does Kingdom Hearts Wiki need to be involved before SEIWA can take off? Are none of the other wikis interested in starting it?

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2010, 02:37:03 AM »
Kingdom Hearts Wiki Needs to be involved, because It was Kindgom Hearts Wiki's idea in the first place (Specifically, a User by the name of "DoorToNothing").

Other Square Enix Wiki's have expressed interest in helping out, but i don't know if any of them would take up the charge.

Offline BrandedOne

• Fire Emblem Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2011, 05:53:29 AM »
There been any updates regarding Kingdom Hearts moving towards independence, or are they still planning out the details?

Voting has commenced

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2011, 01:08:18 AM »

Voting has commenced

Sweet!

Offline SuperAlpaca

• The awesomest person in the room
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2011, 07:01:11 PM »
So far, the SEIWA is winning, if it is not done!

Offline dkpat

• The Jupiter Adept
  • Golden Sun Universe Staff
  • Tada!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dkpat.net
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2011, 09:20:55 PM »
I would like to point out, that the voting ends tonight. So, as long as no recount is called, or 500 new votes come in, SEIWA is official.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2011, 09:27:18 PM »
 :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance: :eekdance:

Offline Xizor

• Zelda Wiki Bureaucrat
  • Forum Administrator
  • Talk to me. :)
    • View Profile
    • Legend of Zelda.com
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2011, 12:56:26 AM »
That is excellent news. :)

Bureaucrat of

Offline BrandedOne

• Fire Emblem Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2011, 05:11:52 AM »
That's a pretty definitive response, from the looks of things ;D

Offline KrytenKoro

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2011, 07:33:59 AM »
Hello all!

So, we chose kingdomheartsdb by an overwhelming majority, and we would like to start getting the final preparations done.

However, it looks like porplemontage took the site down in the meantime, so I'm going to message him, and once the final setup is done, we'll be in business and we can start looking at an outreach program.

Thanks for all of your support, and God bless!