Author Topic: Series in need of a revival?  (Read 31888 times)

Offline Naesala

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Series in need of a revival?
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2010, 05:52:57 PM »
And Princess Peach with jiggle physics!

Offline Dragonfree97

• Dragon Tamer
  • I be a Rathalos
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2010, 06:59:58 PM »
Not really a revival, but I want another Endless Ocean... and a new F-Zero. I never had a chance to play those... and I have no money for the VC version...
Toast falls butter side down, right? And a cat always falls on it's feet. So what happens if we attach some toast, butter side up to the back of a cat, then drop said cat? Levitation!

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2010, 09:35:29 PM »
And Princess Peach with jiggle physics!

Agreed

Offline Naesala

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2010, 02:42:14 AM »
Not really a revival, but I want another Endless Ocean... and a new F-Zero. I never had a chance to play those... and I have no money for the VC version...

If you have no money for the VC version, how would you afford a new version?

Offline R7308xx

• The poison in your drink... whoops.
  • New and, unfortunately, improved.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2010, 06:14:27 AM »
Nintendo needs to buy back Rare so they can make more DK!
I blame the economy.

Offline Mari-Illustrious-Makinami

• The First Children
  • Nintendo Master
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2010, 08:00:12 AM »
And give Perfect Dark a good sequel/prequel. :D

Offline Maxite

• Icaruspedia Staff
  • Otaku Nut
    • View Profile
    • OtakuDeus
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2010, 06:48:53 PM »
Perfect Dark isn't owned by Nintendo. Rare took it with them when they were bought by Microsoft, and they released a prequel named Perfect Dark Zero for the XBox360 when it came out.

Perfect Dark is gone, and that disappoints me as I enjoyed that game.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2011, 03:32:46 AM »
Perfect Dark isn't owned by Nintendo. Rare took it with them when they were bought by Microsoft, and they released a prequel named Perfect Dark Zero for the XBox360 when it came out.

Perfect Dark is gone, and that disappoints me as I enjoyed that game.

Did they say perfect dark was owned by nintendo?
Nintendo needs to buy back Rare so they can make more DK!
And give Perfect Dark a good sequel/prequel. :D

I would read this as: Nintendo needs to buy back Rare, so [Rare] can give us a (good) Perfect Dark prequel/sequel and more DK games.

Offline Maxite

• Icaruspedia Staff
  • Otaku Nut
    • View Profile
    • OtakuDeus
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2011, 04:20:05 AM »
Sorry, I skimmed through the thread before responding. I missed the "Nintendo should buy back Rare..."

Frankly, if Nintendo should buy anything, they should buy Bungie Studios and take Halo. Nintendo needs a good "modern" FPS series, and considering how many games are in the Halo series, it'd fit in nicely with Nintendo's philosophy of a game release for major franchises every few years.

In my opinion, the Donkey Kong series doesn't have to be made by Rare, and frankly I trust Nintendo to handle who develops it. From what I've heard, Donkey Kong Country Returns fared pretty nicely with its predecessors, so the series is in good hands, even if we aren't as familiar with them as we are with rare.

Offline Mari-Illustrious-Makinami

• The First Children
  • Nintendo Master
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2011, 05:09:24 AM »
Problem is, that will never happen.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2011, 08:06:40 AM »
Problem is, that will never happen.

:'( .... it's so true....

Offline Maxite

• Icaruspedia Staff
  • Otaku Nut
    • View Profile
    • OtakuDeus
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2011, 06:00:12 PM »
Well we're already talking about the improbable with Nintendo buying back Rare, might as well talk about what would be a better business decision.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2011, 07:46:21 PM »
Well we're already talking about the improbable with Nintendo buying back Rare, might as well talk about what would be a better business decision.

Which decision would that be?

Offline Maxite

• Icaruspedia Staff
  • Otaku Nut
    • View Profile
    • OtakuDeus
« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2011, 07:47:44 PM »
Buying Bungie and taking Halo with it, rather than buying Rare so it can do... Donkey Kong, even though someone else is doing Donkey Kong just fine.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2011, 07:55:31 PM »
Buying Bungie and taking Halo with it, rather than buying Rare so it can do... Donkey Kong, even though someone else is doing Donkey Kong just fine.

Ah, ok. That makes sense.

Offline SuperAlpaca

• The awesomest person in the room
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2011, 11:09:25 PM »
Ice Climber - I would love to see a new Ice Climber game on the Wii/3DS. It only had three games, Ice Climber [1985] (NES), Ice Climber-e (E-Reader/GBA) and available as one of the "classic NES GBA games" (I cannot remember the title), all are based on the original NES game.

Startropics - I don't know much about this game and have never played this or the sequel; the last title was in 1994 - Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II.

Clu Clu Land/Devil World - These were basically Pacman style games, I've played Clu Clu Land, but not Devil World. Of course, some elements from these games were incorporated into the Super Smash Bros. series; the unused Tamagon trophy in SSBM (which was removed in the PAL release), a Bubbles trophy and the inclusion of the  Unira item and Devil assist trophy in SSBB. Neither Clu Clu Land or Devil World went relatively far, with the NTSC Devil World suffering partly because of religious concerns. Clu Clu Land has had three games; the original NES game (1984), Clu Clu Land: Welcome to New Clu Clu Land (1992) - a Super Famicom game (JPN only, but available on Animal Crossing as Clu Clu Land D) and a port "Clu Clu Land-e" of the original Clu Clu Land available for the Game Boy Advance as an E-reader game (2003). Bubbles is an unlockable character in DK King of Swing. Devil World has only had one game released in Japan for the Famicom in 1984 and Europe for NES in 1987. It was never released outside of Europe and Japan because of strict religious guidelines; RE: its inclusion of the Devil, the Bible and Cross. I don't even recall it making one small, minor cameo appearance except for the unused Tamagon trophy and Devil assist trophy in the SSB series.

R.O.B - "R.O.B games" included Gyromite and Stackup. I never played any of those games and never got a R.O.B, but it would be interesting to see remakes of the original games.

Balloon Fight - There was Tingle's Balloon Fight as late as 2007 but it was only available to members Club Nintendo [JPN], other than that the last game was Japanese exclusive Balloon Fight GB (2001), a graphically enhanced version of Balloon Kid (1990-1991). I've only had the chance to play Balloon Fight and Balloon Kid. Balloon Kid unlike the original Famicom/NES Balloon Fight was a side-scrolling adventure style game instead of an arcade-style game like the original. It was only released outside of Japan until the release of special edition Balloon Fight GB though there was an earlier Famicom version Hello Kitty World (1992), which replaced all the original Balloon Kid characters and some of the objects/enemies =/.

Drill Dozer - Released for the GBA in 2005 (JPN) and 2006 (US). It was never released in Europe. Rather nice gameplay, developed by Game Freak.

Duck Hunt - I'd like to see a Duck Hunt game on the Wii, but I don't know whether it would go too far.

Space Fever - A very early game series based on Space Invaders released by Nintendo in 1979 (JPN) and 1980 (NTSC).  It would be interesting to see a revival of the series but it would probably be too similar to Star Fox and X. The series included a special edition "SF-Hisplitter" and there was one cameo appearance; a game called "Space Fever II" built into the Game Boy Camera (1998) and at the end of each 'stage' you would face a boss with one of the GameBoy Camera developer's faces or your own.

Probably deserves more attention outside of Japan

Starfy - There hasn't been even one Starfy game released here in Europe, not even the only NTSC title in the series, "The Legendary Starfy". Starfy has had three Game Boy Advance games and two DS games, with only the latest DS game being released outside of Japan (in fact even before the Japan release itself). Apparently the other games were rejected by Nintendo of America for being "too Japanese".

Earthbound - Last game was a port of Mother and Earthbound released only in Japan, June 2003 and re-released as a Value Selection game on February 2003. I'd love to be able to play at least one Earthbound game =[.

Captain Rainbow - Only released in Japan for the Wii (2008), is an adventure/action game.

Shin Onigashima - I don't know much about this game but it was rather successful, albeit a little hard apparently. Series has made various cameo appearances,

Sennen Kazoku - A life simulation game only released in Japan for the GBA (2005). Basically, by orders from God, Cupid watches down on a family. They will live on independently but their actions can be changed by firing arrows to change their emotions. The aim of the game is to keep the family going on for many generations to come. Rather strange, but I like the concept.

X - The original X was released for Japan in May 1992, gameplay is similar to Star Fox. A spiritual sequel, X-Scape was released in May 2010 for DSiWare. It is called X-Returns in Japan and 3D Space Tank in PAL regions.

Tomato Adventure - Developed by Alpha Dream and released for the GBA in Janurary 2002. The Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga game engine is based on this game IIRC.

Doshin the Giant - Released for the 64DD only in Japan with an expansion and later for the GameCube in 2002. A GameCube version was released in Europe but never localized for the US. A life simulation game with potential but reviews were mixed, it was a hit game in Japan but not so successful in the UK.

Fire Emblem in the Japan section. There are 13 games in the series, with only 5 worldwide releases. Yet on still has time to come out worldwide. And I hope the Sin & Punishment N64 translate was not just a one-time thing.

Offline Naesala

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2011, 03:24:31 AM »
Fire Emblem in the Japan section. There are 13 games in the series, with only 5 worldwide releases.

There are 12 Fire Emblem games.

Offline HavocReaper48

• The Falcon Punch Master
  • Donkey Kong Wiki Staff
  • Orly?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2011, 06:39:43 AM »
Nononononononono.

Rare should not be bought back. You see....

Rare is currently short of a few key members that made DK good, such as David Wise. He's gone...  :'( and now Rare's becoming a social networking and over modern Microsoft company....

http://www.rare.co.uk/

Rare doesn't even acknowledge their DKC past! They've forgotten about us! Those traitors. Just browse their site. And that stupid new logo. Wtf? Random shapes in random colors? All they care about is Kinect....
[spoiler]
Retro, as excellent as DKCR was, could not fill the gap...
[/spoiler]

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2011, 06:50:23 AM »
Now that just confirms it..... they sold their souls....

Offline TurtwigA

• Wiki editor
  • Why must the space not come?
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2011, 06:53:26 AM »
Rare doesn't even acknowledge their DKC past! They've forgotten about us! Those traitors. Just browse their site.

I browsed it, and on the first page I was on (after the home page), I found a mention of DKC. Though it's a very small mention, it's a mention indeed.

Please give me internets! So much less bulkier than those eggs.
tg.wikkii.com-My Touch! Generations Wiki
chibirobo.wikkii.com My Chibi-Robo! Wiki

Help spread the word about the word smorent! Definition: [smohrent] adj. fluffy. In a sentence: that bear is very smorent.