Author Topic: The Unofficial AMV Thread  (Read 11674 times)

Offline Maxite

• Icaruspedia Staff
  • Otaku Nut
    • View Profile
    • OtakuDeus
The Unofficial AMV Thread
« on: December 26, 2010, 09:26:57 PM »
Unofficial because we aren't suckups like the other threads. :P

But yes: AMVs are technically "Anime Music Videos", but it has come to include PVs (fanmade animated videos), GMVs (game music videos), and Japanese MADs.

For some reference on the matter:
Wikipedia: AMV
Wikipedia: MAD Movies

Some good places to look for AMVs:
AnimeMusicVideos.org
AMV.com.pl
YouTube

For posting of AMVs, please post a link to the video, do not embed it in the thread. If you are posting a download link, please don't post it directly to the file but to the page with the download link if that is possible.
ex. Tomare! MAD Movie
ex. White Knight
ex. Fate/External Inferno

Those examples above also count as some of my favorite AMVs, but I have a collection of over 300 AMVs.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan

Offline Mari-Illustrious-Makinami

• The First Children
  • Nintendo Master
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: The Unofficial AMV Thread
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 12:54:00 PM »
I have some I'll link to later. (I'm at school. :P)

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 09:59:48 PM »

Later when?  :eekdance:

• The First Children
  • Nintendo Master
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 10:12:17 PM »

Later when?  :eekdance:
Later like now.

Azumanga Daioh AMV - The System is Down

???????????????????????

Not anime but, it's a game MAD. :P

Around 85-90% of my favourited videos on YouTube are MADs.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 04:10:22 AM »
To the above: Nice.....

• The First Children
  • Nintendo Master
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 01:18:34 AM »

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 06:21:54 AM »

• The First Children
  • Nintendo Master
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 03:26:37 PM »
?Super Mario Brothers+Sky High? (It's what happens when you die on the first Goomba)

Osaka Gourmet Race

Chen's Gourmet Race

Offline Maxite

• Icaruspedia Staff
  • Otaku Nut
    • View Profile
    • OtakuDeus
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 06:24:30 AM »
Have a collection of some of my favorite AMVs of all time.

Fate/Eternal Inferno
Fate/Stay Night and Dragonforce's Through the Fire and the Flames, and unlikely pairing but boy do they work together superbly. This AMV has won several awards in various conventions, and it is truly a masterpiece.

It's Your F***ing Nightmare
What I'd consider to be one of the greatest Hellsing AMVs ever, it combines Nightmare from Avenged Sevenfold with bold and gory scenes from the anime to help portray an actual nightmare.

Trouble in Heaven
My favorite AMV currently, it's an AMV dedicated to Yui from Angel Beats. Frankly, I think the song perfectly fits Yui.

Serenade
A very simple, and very annoying AMV. A good AMV for if you are feeling masochistic, or for better results force a friend to watch it. However, if you absolutely have to see why I put this in, go to 3:25 and play from there.

Attack of the Otaku
One of the first "effects" AMV I ever came across, it still has a close place to my heart. Made by an editor named Chiikaboom, or Boomi for short, who is one of my favorite editors. Has a nice dance beat, and I've found myself swaying to the beat every now and then.

PreParade in Kinetic Typography
Brace for epic, because this video is made of it. While the basic concept is very simple (moving text), the implementation is incredible, and this one has earned a top spot in my AMV collection because of its uniqueness and creativity.

Come on, sing along.
It's an anime Happy Happy Joy Joy. That alone makes it awesome, except the great syncing in this video takes it even further.

Chang Roi Le Roi
It's Lucky Star with a remix of "It's a Piece of Cake to Bake a Pretty Cake" from Lazy Town. That remix alone is WTF worthy, but the artistic combination of the remix with Lucky Star makes it a piece that will require that your brain be reconstructed after watching.

Cromartie Rhapsody
An anime about a school filled with the worst imaginable delinquents (and Freddie) combined with the classic Queen song Bohemian Rhapsody. If you're even remotely familiar with the source materials, you will develop a splitting headache as the genius and proposterity of the entire thing.

Bad Apple
Two videos come with this entry, but one is an alternative version of the other. The first one is the Touhou song "Bad Apple" as performed by nomico. The silhouette artwork is rather nice, and actually goes through a great number of Touhou characters, however prepare to have your mind blown with the second version with a stop-motion version of the same PV. While not technically an AMV, I think it's good enough to be thrown in anyways.

RightNowSomeoneIsReadingThisTitle
A classic AMV by Doki Doki Productions (look them up!), this is a simple yet funny AMV giving commentary about the otaku fandom. It's also fun to see how many of the references you actually understand.

• The First Children
  • Nintendo Master
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 06:32:07 AM »
Be warned, I will be using this thread as a dumping ground for MADs. (I never got into AMVs that much)

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 08:21:23 PM »
Be warned, I will be using this thread as a dumping ground for MADs. (I never got into AMVs that much)

What is a MAD, anyway?

Also, maxite:
Have a collection of some of my favorite AMVs of all time.
RightNowSomeoneIsReadingThisTitle
A classic AMV by Doki Doki Productions (look them up!), this is a simple yet funny AMV giving commentary about the otaku fandom. It's also fun to see how many of the references you actually understand.

This one's audio is disabled.

• The First Children
  • Nintendo Master
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 09:31:37 PM »

What is a MAD, anyway?
Quote from: Know Your Meme
MAD is a modern Japanese term referring to parody/remix videos and audio clips that have been edited and re-arranged by “creative-secondary” authors. A typical MAD movie is put together by combining visual fragments of anime/manga with edited anime/j-pop soundtrack; it varies in length from a few seconds to several minutes and may not even include any music at all, mainly for comical effect. Because MAD movies are created in parodical nature with their own unique narrative plots, they should be distinguished from fan-made videos and artworks that are still based on the original canons. Thanks to popular video-sharing communities like Nico Nico Douga, MAD artworks have become an essential base of Japanese internet culture.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 09:16:06 PM »
Quote from: Know Your Meme
MAD is a modern Japanese term referring to parody/remix videos and audio clips that have been edited and re-arranged by “creative-secondary” authors. A typical MAD movie is put together by combining visual fragments of anime/manga with edited anime/j-pop soundtrack; it varies in length from a few seconds to several minutes and may not even include any music at all, mainly for comical effect. Because MAD movies are created in parodical nature with their own unique narrative plots, they should be distinguished from fan-made videos and artworks that are still based on the original canons. Thanks to popular video-sharing communities like Nico Nico Douga, MAD artworks have become an essential base of Japanese internet culture.

Cool. Thank you for that.  :)

Offline Maxite

• Icaruspedia Staff
  • Otaku Nut
    • View Profile
    • OtakuDeus
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 04:29:46 AM »
As a resident expert of AMVs and MADs, I will put it this way:
MADs are essentially fan-rearranged media, be it audio, visual, or a combination of the two. AMVs are much more strictly defined as the arrangement of video (usually anime, but can also be game footage) to audio (usually music, but can be other sources).

There are pure audio MADs (Kumikyoku Nico Nico Douga), and purely visual MADs. Some of the first MADs were attempts to get clean full versions of music before soundtracks were available.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 06:21:11 PM »
As a resident expert of AMVs and MADs, I will put it this way:
MADs are essentially fan-rearranged media, be it audio, visual, or a combination of the two. AMVs are much more strictly defined as the arrangement of video (usually anime, but can also be game footage) to audio (usually music, but can be other sources).

There are pure audio MADs (Kumikyoku Nico Nico Douga), and purely visual MADs. Some of the first MADs were attempts to get clean full versions of music before soundtracks were available.

Thank you for explaining that.

• The First Children
  • Nintendo Master
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2011, 10:33:42 PM »
????????????
???!??????????????
???????????MAD?
??MAD???????