Author Topic: Wicarus  (Read 10301 times)

Offline Ahmlink

• View Profile
Wicarus
« on: January 29, 2011, 03:03:50 PM »
http://wicarus.gamedom.org

An independent Kid Icarus Wiki project that was started recently. Check it out!!

Offline Nintendoguy1

• Marioguy1
  • Super Mario Wiki Staff
  • It's a beautiful country.
    • View Profile
    • Userpedia
Re: Wicarus
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 07:04:29 PM »
Yes, and the site needs many more contributors.

(see that's why Edofenrir is awesome)

Offline Volatile Dweevil

• Pikmin Fanon Staff
  • Pikipedia Staff
  • I'm known as Volatile Dweevil on all NIWA wikis.
    • View Profile
    • Volatile Dweevil's Website
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 07:07:42 PM »
Yes, and the site needs many more contributors.

Indeed. It has a pretty nice setup for having only two users, though.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 07:10:24 PM by Volatile Dweevil »

Offline BrandedOne

• Fire Emblem Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 07:08:38 PM »
How about some communication between Wicarus and Palutenapedia?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 07:14:29 PM by BrandedOne »

Offline Volatile Dweevil

• Pikmin Fanon Staff
  • Pikipedia Staff
  • I'm known as Volatile Dweevil on all NIWA wikis.
    • View Profile
    • Volatile Dweevil's Website
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 07:39:52 PM »
It looks like a great wiki, I don't own any Kid Icarus games, unfortunately, but I will still try to help out.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 09:04:17 PM by Volatile Dweevil »

Offline Ahmlink

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 07:53:02 PM »
Thanks for the comments! Indeed, the wiki has been lauched about three weeks ago. It does need more work and contributors in order to shape it up.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 08:21:08 PM by Ahmlink »

Offline Reboot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 02:53:01 AM »
One piece of advice - DON'T stick Recent Changes at the bottom of the sidebar. It's one of the most important functionality pages on a wiki and should be easy to get to (it's far more important to have in the sidebar than copyrights, which people will glance at once or twice at most - the fact that you're GDFL-licensed is in the footer on every page, and the Nintendo aspect is in your General Disclaimer, also in the footer. Incidentally, why GDFL 1.2 rather than 1.3 or a Creative Commons licence if you feel copyrights are that important?).

Offline Xizor

• Zelda Wiki Bureaucrat
  • Forum Administrator
  • Talk to me. :)
    • View Profile
    • Legend of Zelda.com
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 10:07:24 PM »
Please do not make any other threads besides this one to discuss Wicarus.

Bureaucrat of

Offline Axiomist

• Retired Staff
    • View Profile
    • WiKirby
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 04:58:33 AM »
Well I'll tell ya what I like and don't like. I like how you have a section with 3 Featured Artwork pieces. Very original and adds flair to the page. Two videos are cool too, but you need to use a lower size. Just a tip; the largest block of your traffic is going to be using 1024x768 screen resolutions. You'll find that the NIWA wikis aim to design for that resolution. The countdowns are a good addition, people always like those. But I recommend installing GIMP or some other image editor to get some transparent images for at least the main page.

Note: I just saw a screenshot of Wicarus in your About page. The main page isn't showing up with multiple columns on my end. I'm seeing each template stacked as full spanners.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 05:21:29 AM by Axiomist »

Offline Xizor

• Zelda Wiki Bureaucrat
  • Forum Administrator
  • Talk to me. :)
    • View Profile
    • Legend of Zelda.com
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 11:06:37 AM »
Note: I just saw a screenshot of Wicarus in your About page. The main page isn't showing up with multiple columns on my end. I'm seeing each template stacked as full spanners.

That's weird because it looks fine on my computer.

Bureaucrat of

Offline Tina

• WikiBound Staff
    • View Profile
    • WikiBound
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 04:46:10 PM »

Looks like the screencap was taken and the main page was designed with a 1440px wide monitor. The columns are full spanners on my screen as well (1024px wide btw), you may want to fix that and make it consistent between different screen sizes.
WikiBound Editor-in-Chief

Offline Ahmlink

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 12:44:44 AM »
Yes indeed, the layout was originally designed with multiple columns. I decided to change the layout for full spanners when I noticed that the columns were not all equal in size due to the different amount of content in each block. So ya, I changed it in order to give each row the same width. So don`t worry, it`s not a monitor issue. Thanks for replies and for your support!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 12:46:21 AM by Ahmlink »

Offline Axiomist

• Retired Staff
    • View Profile
    • WiKirby
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 04:24:24 AM »
Well if you strip down the core coding of WiKirby's Main Page you can get columns. Usually I'm eager to help people with that, but I haven't had much time lately. Do you (Ahmlink) use skype or any other IM service?

Offline Axiomist

• Retired Staff
    • View Profile
    • WiKirby
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 11:16:11 AM »
Double posting, but I don't care :p The changes on the main page are looking good in my screen res. At first the "Gamedom" url made no sense to me, but then I realized it must be a play on the word "kingdom". Clever, but will Wicarus always operate at that domain? I have a proposal for a template style, I thought of it when working on the wikkii Palutenapedia Main Page; but haven't implemented it.

Offline Jake

• Nookipedia Staff
  • Nookipedia Director / Server Admin
    • View Profile
    • Nookipedia
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 04:41:00 PM »
The main page changes are also looking good on my computer, but I'm not seeing any rounded corners on Chrome and Safari. The reason is because you're only using:
Code: [Select]
-moz-border-radius: 10px; In order to get the full effect on most modern browsers, you'll want to replace that with:
Code: [Select]
border-radius: 10px; -moz-border-radius: 10px; -webkit-border-radius: 10px; -khtml-border-radius: 10px; -icab-border-radius: 10px; -o-border-radius: 10px;Better yet, I'd suggest creating a template so you don't need to type that every time. The "NIWA Standard" for rounded corners is in the form of a {{roundy}} template. We've also got several "sub-templates" for making only certain corners round. (They're listed on the {{roundy}} page I linked to.) You can feel free to copy these templates from any member wiki.

Obviously you don't have to do this, but it will save you some time in the long run and allow you to get the desired effect on most browsers instead of just Firefox.

Offline Reboot

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2011, 12:47:24 AM »
You should change the Templates mainpage link from [[Special:UncategorizedTemplates|Templates]] to  [[Special:AllPages/Template:|Templates]] (if you really want to list them all, that is), since you'll presumably want to categorise them at some point (use <noinclude> tags around the Category links to avoid the template categories showing up in pages that transclude the template)