Author Topic: The dead NIWA wikis repair thread  (Read 25346 times)

Offline IceScream

• View Profile
The dead NIWA wikis repair thread
« on: March 08, 2013, 09:50:51 PM »
(Pardon I using the "dead" word, I'm not a english speaker and I running out of words to use)

Since the other thread is going off-topic, this is the new thread to discuss how to fix any dead NIWA wikis like Wars Wiki and NintendoWiki.
Old thread here: http://www.niwanetwork.org/forums/index.php?topic=1322.0

Important posts from the old thread:
There is a lot of loose terminology being tossed around here.  Wikis are not "dead" simply because no one is editing them.  Some articles might be getting stale and new articles might be missing but those factors do not mean a wiki is dead.  A wiki is only truly dead when it is not visited by anyone on the web or it is taken offline.

Here is the Wikipedia page for dormant articles.  Many of these articles have not been edited for over 7 years.  Are these articles dead?  No, they just might be in need of updates.  I'm sure lots of them have been used millions of times in those 7 years by those searching the web.

With that said, I still think the Nintendo Wiki has a strong reason for existence.  There is plenty of information about Nintendo which is not series related.

Nintendo and its corporate history
Important Nintendo executives, Shigeru Miyamoto, lots of others
Nintendo hardware and peripherals, where else do articles about the Power Glove, Super Scope, and Virtual Boy go?
Development studios which Nintendo controls and their history
Games which do not merit their own standalone wiki (Wii Sports/Play/Party/Music, Game and Watch, other Nintendo ventures which were Japan only)
The Nintendo Store in New York
Channels on the Wii and Wii U
Nintendo Power magazine history info, etc
Nintendo @ E3 (I think it would be awesome to have articles detailing what Nintendo unveiled each year, reaction, etc)

Nintendo is identified by the products it makes, which is why the Nintendo wiki is really a "support" wiki to the game series wikis.  I don't believe it is dead or useless though.

#2:
Related: Wars Wiki has been dead for a long time now. It was left to spammers a long time ago and no one wanted to contact them.

http://warswiki.warscentral.com/index.php?title=Special:RecentChanges&limit=500

Disheartening, really. Why didn't anyone want to contact the admins?

Inactive wikis checklist

Super Mario Wiki - Active   
Zelda Wiki - Active             
Bulbapedia - Active           
Metroid Wiki - Active           
WiKirby - Inactive               
Wars Wiki - Inactive           
Lylat Wiki - Inactive             
Pikipedia - Active               
Pikmin Fanon - Active         
StrategyWiki - Active         
Smash Wiki - Active
WikiBound - Inactive
Donkey Kong Wiki - Inactive
Nookipedia - Active
Golden Sun Universe - Active
NintendoWiki - Inactive
Fire Emblem Wiki - Active
Starfy Wiki - Active
F-Zero Wiki - Inactive
Icaruspedia - Inactive
Dragon Quest Wiki - Active

Feel free to point out any errors with the list.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 11:12:45 PM by IceScream »

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile

Offline Moydow

• NIWA Coordinator
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fire Emblem Wiki
Re: The dead NIWA wikis repair thread
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 03:49:45 AM »
(KidIcarus, if you want to post please post in the old thread. Thank you.)
Why can't he post here?

Having two separate threads active on roughly the same topic is going to lead to confusion. Either I lock the old one, or merge it here. Which will it be?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 03:51:17 AM by Moydow »
NIWA Coordinator

Offline IceScream

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 04:16:51 AM »
(KidIcarus, if you want to post please post in the old thread. Thank you.)
Why can't he post here?

Having two separate threads active on roughly the same topic is going to lead to confusion. Either I lock the old one, or merge it here. Which will it be?

I can't stand his annoying behavior.

Correct me if I wrong, but I don't think there is still any remaining important posts in the old thread. Any important ones already listed in the first post already. Feel free to lock that thread if KidIcarus can make quality posts in this thread.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 06:58:55 AM by IceScream »

Offline Greenpickle

• Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My site
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 09:48:05 AM »
Right, so does anyone know how to contact Wars Wiki admins?  Maybe try putting something on their talk pages.  Who provides the hosting?  The two things that need doing are to revert the spam and to install an anti-spam system.  A brief look at recent spammed indicated it's only on the spammers' user pages, which is good.

Offline dkpat

• The Jupiter Adept
  • Golden Sun Universe Staff
  • Tada!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dkpat.net
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 02:51:25 PM »
Link to Member's Check in thread from a while back: http://www.niwanetwork.org/forums/index.php?topic=1274.0

Wikirby is kinda not in the greatest of shapes, it doesn't have spam issues, but it's not really improving either.

Wars Wiki is hosted as part of a fansite, Wars Central. Maybe someone can get a hold of them  there, I just wonder if their user pages will do any good or not.

Offline Vellidragon

• Hungry dragoness
  • WiKirby Staff
  • That fat girl
    • View Profile
    • Pelsatia
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 05:10:42 AM »
Wikirby is kinda not in the greatest of shapes, it doesn't have spam issues, but it's not really improving either.
Sorry about that, I really haven't had time for it over the past couple months. I have been occupied with numerous projects in an attempts to get some much-needed money (my sig links to most of them), but results have been less than stellar, so I have to keep working. I don't know when I will have time to waste on anything not for profit again, sorry.

In the meantime, anyone else can of course help improve WiKirby just as much; its main problem has long been the sparseness of dedicated and skilled/experienced editors, so if anyone wants to help and is willing to spend some time on reading & follow quality standards and help pages, just contribute :3

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 11:18:14 AM »
Any important ones already listed in the first post already.

Can you please clarify what you mean by this segment fragment?

Offline IceScream

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 12:58:18 PM »
Any important posts taken from the old thread already listed in the first post already.

Can you please clarify what you mean by this segment fragment?

Can you please stop making any off topic posts? Are you really wanted to ruin every thread you saw?
I request banning KidIcarus from ever posting in this thread.

To KidIcarus: This thread haven't ended. NintendoWiki and others is still dead.
Can someone please talk to KidIcarus? I'm tired and I give up.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 07:23:01 AM by IceScream »

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 03:23:50 AM »
Valleydragon: no need to apologize for anything. Any help youve made in the past is greatly appreciated and we appreciate it greatly. that doesn't mean it should be your burden. it is not your responsibility to BE the kirby community.

to icescream: e3 ended already

to all: step number one = building a fan community --> step number two = taking the most dedicated fans and exposing them to the wikis

#problemsolved #endofthread
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 10:34:59 AM by KidIcarus »

Offline IceScream

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 06:55:02 AM »
Merging all the questions into one post:

1. Apart from Wars Wiki, NintendoWiki and WiKirby; is there still any NIWA wikis with long inactivity?

2. I recall NintendoWiki once have an E3 countdown. Why is the countdown is taken down?
    Official E3 site and date: http://www.e3expo.com/

3. Is no one still can contact Icaruspedia's admin, Maxite?: http://www.niwanetwork.org/forums/index.php?topic=1268.0
    This page: http://www.kidicaruswiki.org/index.php?title=Special:RecentChanges&days=30&limit=500 is hurting my eyes.

4. If we can ask their permission, can we merge all those wikis into NintendoWiki?
    Wii Wiki: http://wiiki.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page
    Game & Watch Wiki: http://gameandwatch.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page

Because this sentence:
Quote from: FlyingRagnar
Games which do not merit their own standalone wiki (Wii Sports/Play/Party/Music, Game and Watch, other Nintendo ventures which were Japan only)

Bonus: http://www.wikirby.com/wiki/Special:Contributions/Stupidbeanbon
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 10:09:28 AM by IceScream »

Offline Vellidragon

• Hungry dragoness
  • WiKirby Staff
  • That fat girl
    • View Profile
    • Pelsatia
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 05:48:10 PM »
2. I recall NintendoWiki once have an E3 countdown. Why is the countdown is taken down?
Probably because it's only meant to be there when there's an E3 coming up and nobody put it back on the site for the next one. I'll let tacopill know, he's usually the one to take care of such things. (EDIT: Actually, I just put it in the NintendoWiki Skype chat :p)
This page: http://www.kidicaruswiki.org/index.php?title=Special:RecentChanges&days=30&limit=500 is hurting my eyes.
You should probably explain why. My eyes are usually sensitive to such things, but don't seem to care much about that page (although the red and blue text is hard to read on that background, which also affects the sidebar btw. I still liked that site better when the skin was blue and more pleasing to the eye).
Quote from: FlyingRagnar
Actually not sure if I agree on Game & Watch not meriting its own wiki; there's quite some content to cover.
Bonus: http://www.wikirby.com/wiki/Special:Contributions/Stupidbeanbon
Thank you, I took care of that :3 The only actual contribution they made was a stolen image, even...
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 05:57:18 PM by Vellidragon »

Offline Greenpickle

• Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • My site
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 06:49:11 PM »
WRT 3, pretty sure he meant the page content, not the appearance.  Yeah, that's some weird spam right there.

Offline Moydow

• NIWA Coordinator
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fire Emblem Wiki
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 09:10:57 PM »
Looks like the same sort of thing we got on F-Zero Wiki a few months ago. I recommend Asirra, that killed them for us.
NIWA Coordinator

Offline IceScream

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 11:42:27 AM »
Looks like the same sort of thing we got on F-Zero Wiki a few months ago. I recommend Asirra, that killed them for us.

Can someone tell the Icaruspedia admins somewhere about this extension? They will not know this if they doesn't saw this thread.
(Since they already knew about this, just ignore this sentence.)

Also for those who don't notice, I added a checklist in the first post. I welcome if any people can help checking the other wikis so I can complete the list.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 03:14:21 AM by IceScream »

Offline dkpat

• The Jupiter Adept
  • Golden Sun Universe Staff
  • Tada!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dkpat.net
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 03:38:28 PM »
I talked to Maxite a few days ago, we all know about Asirra here. Apparently he had issues installing it, but I told him to try again.

Also, IceScream, that checklist isn't exactly necessary. This is why I made the check in thread a while back. All wikis not accounted for are to be considered active, and are active, unless otherwise stated.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 04:45:04 PM by dkpat »

Offline ToastUltimatum

• Icaruspedia Staff
  • Also Staff on F-Zero Wiki and Lylat Wiki
    • View Profile
    • SmashWiki Userpage
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2013, 05:29:17 PM »
Icaruspedia is very active at the moment, use the link in the sitenotice up top for a spam-free Recent Changes.

Offline Red

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2013, 06:24:14 PM »
I am one of the few active people at WiKirby (as Mario). I hate seeing the spam popping up and the admins are inactive :(
I am known as PikaSamus on SmashWiki.
I am on other NIWA members as well, those being Super Mario Wiki, Zelda Wiki, WiKirby, Bulbapedia, The Legendary Starfy Wiki, Metroid Wiki, N-Wiki, and possibly more; I can't remember all of the wikis that I have joined. However, I am inactive on all but SmashWiki.

Offline Vellidragon

• Hungry dragoness
  • WiKirby Staff
  • That fat girl
    • View Profile
    • Pelsatia
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2013, 11:17:11 PM »
the admins are inactive :(
Sorry for my inactivity, see my earlier post in this thread for explanation :( There aren't any other admins on WiKirby apart from me (except Adam, but he doesn't do much if anything on the site itself). If you urgently need someone with admin powers there, please notify me in some other way (e.g. through these fora) and I will look into it as soon as I have time. Thanks for checking on the wiki in my absence :3

Offline IceScream

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2013, 04:49:31 AM »
What method can let Donkey Kong Wiki get more attention from the search results? It is overshadowed by Mariowiki, Donkey Kong wikia and even Wikipedia itself. (No offense to everyone)

(Related note, why I am the only one asking questions? :'()
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 03:40:04 PM by IceScream »