Author Topic: Suggestions  (Read 235658 times)

Offline Axiomist

• Retired Staff
    • View Profile
    • WiKirby
Re: Suggestions
« Reply #320 on: December 16, 2010, 04:25:13 AM »
Well I was thinking to just have some cool looking award images. Nothing major, since it would be an award to the wiki, unless you guys have something else in mind. If so, that's cool.

Offline Naesala

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 16, 2010, 04:31:05 AM »
How do I make links here? Using words and not just a url.

Offline Axiomist

• Retired Staff
    • View Profile
    • WiKirby
« Reply #322 on: December 16, 2010, 04:39:05 AM »
type: [   url  =    link    ]    Word you want [  /    url   ]
without any spaces. I had to space it out so it wouldn't work example:

[   url   =    https://club.nintendo.com/rewards-category-details/a/18501.do   ]  New Epic Yarn patches from Club Nintendo   [     /url    ]
makes:

New Epic Yarn patches from Club Nintendo

Offline Naesala

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 16, 2010, 04:40:24 AM »
type: [   url  =    link    ]    Word you want [  /    url   ]
without any spaces. I had to space it out so it wouldn't work example:

[   url   =    https://club.nintendo.com/rewards-category-details/a/18501.do   ]  New Epic Yarn patches from Club Nintendo   [     /url    ]
makes:

New Epic Yarn patches from Club Nintendo

oops I had it backwards, and I want those Kirby things, but I only have 20 coines

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #324 on: December 16, 2010, 06:52:51 AM »
I'd be willing to provide a prize for the competition.

How about a VC/Wii Ware game of there choice?

Would a Wii Points card be more practical?

Offline Maxite

• Icaruspedia Staff
  • Otaku Nut
    • View Profile
    • OtakuDeus
« Reply #325 on: December 16, 2010, 11:16:24 PM »
A Wii Points card? I'll have to check once I get all my finances straight, as I can't find one for cheaper than $20.

Offline Malake256

• Metroid Wiki Staff
  • It actually glows...
    • View Profile
    • Metroid Wiki Admin
« Reply #326 on: December 17, 2010, 01:22:54 AM »
Wii Point cards would be convenient, no shipping involved, simply buy a card and give the code to someone else.
My Weavile Brick Breaks Blisseys :)

Offline Naesala

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 17, 2010, 02:34:12 AM »
Wii Point cards would be convenient, no shipping involved, simply buy a card and give the code to someone else.

remember you can gift games as well

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #328 on: December 17, 2010, 07:29:35 PM »

remember you can gift games as well

true, but can that go across regions? (I actually don't know)

Offline Tina

• WikiBound Staff
    • View Profile
    • WikiBound
« Reply #329 on: December 19, 2010, 10:24:24 PM »
I'm sure this has probably been mentioned in the thread in the past, but I figure I would voice my opinion just this once... right?

Anyway. I think we should encourage members to post on the forums about their current projects, things to focus on, and any news they might have about their respective wiki. I've noticed that there's a large lack of communication between members, and people often don't really know what's going on at other places-- which can lead to a lot of backlogging when explaining a problem they might be experiencing. And that's annoying. 8(

Maybe collaborative projects for everyone to help out with, as well, although I'm not sure on specifics, and it could be difficult coming up with something. But I do think that encouraging members to keep updates on the forums would be a good idea.
WikiBound Editor-in-Chief

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #330 on: December 20, 2010, 03:06:14 AM »
I'm sure this has probably been mentioned in the thread in the past, but I figure I would voice my opinion just this once... right?

Anyway. I think we should encourage members to post on the forums about their current projects, things to focus on, and any news they might have about their respective wiki. I've noticed that there's a large lack of communication between members, and people often don't really know what's going on at other places-- which can lead to a lot of backlogging when explaining a problem they might be experiencing. And that's annoying. 8(

Maybe collaborative projects for everyone to help out with, as well, although I'm not sure on specifics, and it could be difficult coming up with something. But I do think that encouraging members to keep updates on the forums would be a good idea.

This sounds good. Do you have any specific ideas?

Offline Tina

• WikiBound Staff
    • View Profile
    • WikiBound
« Reply #331 on: December 20, 2010, 04:30:42 AM »
I was thinking of keeping a to-do list updated on the forums, for specific tasks that need to be covered. Like things that need to be uploaded, organized, created or expanded upon.

And then if someone would be able to assist, they'd post and point out what they'd be able to contribute with. That sorta thing, I guess.
WikiBound Editor-in-Chief

Offline Maxite

• Icaruspedia Staff
  • Otaku Nut
    • View Profile
    • OtakuDeus
« Reply #332 on: December 20, 2010, 04:36:11 AM »
In relation to Tina's idea, I had a similar idea. Only it was for a Help subboard (uncreatively named "Help Wanted"), where members could post that they're looking for projects to participate in and let wikis (or anyone else interested) recruit them, and let wikis post projects that they want done and members can join up that way.
As far as what scope of projects or help could be asked for, I was thinking of it being pretty open. If a wiki wanted help with templating, they could post that they're looking for help in building some templates. If a person was interested in doing template work, then a wiki could take them up for a bit. Other projects like tutoring, writing tutorials, even looking for people to help start up a major project would also be fine.

Then again, this would require the creation of a board (or a "Help Wanted" thread at the least).

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #333 on: December 20, 2010, 07:30:10 AM »
This all sounds good.

Offline Naesala

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 11, 2011, 04:58:42 PM »
A suggestion for Bulbapedia, a search for finding Pokémon that learn certain moves, for example, I want a Pokémon that can learn both Bite and Tackle, you put them in and it will list all Pokémon that can learn both moves.

Offline Toomai

• SmashWiki Staff
  • Smash & Learn
    • View Profile
    • SmashWiki
« Reply #335 on: January 11, 2011, 06:34:34 PM »
A suggestion for Bulbapedia, a search for finding Pokémon that learn certain moves, for example, I want a Pokémon that can learn both Bite and Tackle, you put them in and it will list all Pokémon that can learn both moves.
That's not really possible for a wiki as I understand it. I think you want this site.
oeuf

Offline Naesala

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 11, 2011, 06:50:13 PM »
That's not really possible for a wiki as I understand it. I think you want this site.

Yes that site works nicely for me thanks.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #337 on: January 12, 2011, 09:35:44 PM »

Yes that site works nicely for me thanks.

sweet!

*Bookmarks*

Offline T.W.

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 16, 2011, 03:20:18 PM »
I was talking this over with Tacopill on Lylat Wiki and I wanted to suggest this. Firstly, I wanted to suggest a second, more basic Smashwiki to accompany the one we currently have. Note: I'm just suggesting the possibility of one. I don't have one in the works, nor would I be able to. I was thinking this second wiki would just focus on the games and characters as they appear ingame. Compared to the current Smashwiki, which seems to take the games' competitive side as the main focus. In a way, it's similar to how we have two Pikmin wikis. All those names and tiers are fanmade, right? Plus, if this ever does come to fruition, each wiki could have a notice saying something like "You are on (enter basic Smashwiki name) if you want a more in depth wiki, go to Smashwiki."

Secondly, and this probably would not happen for a while, would be a community story. It would be done round robin style, as in I would write one chapter and send it to someone else to write the next chapter. To prevent character overfill similar to what happened in The Subspace Emissary, there would actually be two stories that meet up at the end. To give you an idea, think The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages/Seasons.  There'd be a story team that would decided which characters go into what story, how the characters interact, and the general events of the stories. After all this, a group would write each of the chapters. If anyone is interested, I'll post a topic at some point that  would give full details.

Offline Miles of SmashWiki

• Sinister Trivia Villain
  • SmashWiki Staff
  • "Trying to seem mysterious is my hobby."
    • View Profile
    • AllisBrawl profile
« Reply #339 on: January 16, 2011, 06:45:58 PM »
I was talking this over with Tacopill on Lylat Wiki and I wanted to suggest this. Firstly, I wanted to suggest a second, more basic Smashwiki to accompany the one we currently have. Note: I'm just suggesting the possibility of one. I don't have one in the works, nor would I be able to. I was thinking this second wiki would just focus on the games and characters as they appear ingame. Compared to the current Smashwiki, which seems to take the games' competitive side as the main focus. In a way, it's similar to how we have two Pikmin wikis. All those names and tiers are fanmade, right? Plus, if this ever does come to fruition, each wiki could have a notice saying something like "You are on (enter basic Smashwiki name) if you want a more in depth wiki, go to Smashwiki."

The games' competitive side is hardly our main focus, but for us to overlook it entirely would not cover a crucial set of information.  Much of SmashWiki emphasizes the in-game functioning of things, which often have competitive uses.  (The IDC) is a clear example of that.)  Yes, tiers are made by a group of players, but they are widely accepted and are based on large quantities of data.

SmashWiki also puts a great deal of emphasis on the history behind characters. Heck, we probably have more interwiki links than anyone else on NIWA.  Every stage, character, item, special move, whatever has or will have an interwiki link to a relevant NIWA wiki for more in-universe info.  (For example, we don't need to describe every event that happens at Princess Peach's Castle in every Mario game; we just give a quick run-down and present how it's connected to Smash, then give a link to Mariowiki.)

Srsbsns is always lurking (?_?)