Author Topic: Speculation time.  (Read 29434 times)

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
Re: Speculation time.
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2010, 09:39:25 PM »
Sounds good guys.

In case you are wondering, my involvement in the Kingdom Hearts Wiki is to help clear up misconceptions as well as help represent the idea of going the independent.

When i speak with the guys of forming an IWA, i speak with them of what NIWA does, how it works and such. I mention to them that they don't have to follow our model exactly, but then someone mentions how our model works (or at least, some of the parts, of which varies from person to person).

So, I apologize if i am influencing them more than i should be. If you guys think i should, i will scale back my involvement.

Offline Maxite

• Icaruspedia Staff
  • Otaku Nut
    • View Profile
    • OtakuDeus
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2010, 10:35:07 PM »
I have no honest clue how NIWA is actually set up and organized. I always imagined it was a "loose confederation" style of group, or a glorified affiliation. If they want to try something different, let them do it (to within reasonable boundaries). Unless you're threatening, harassing or demeaning members (or encouraging others to do the same), I see no problem with you putting forth arguments.

Offline Metechar

• My fanmade Pokémon mascot.
  • Wow! What are all those heads?
    • View Profile
    • PokéFanon!
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2010, 11:28:25 PM »
Teddy Bearz...NAO!

Forgot my password, and I may not ever recover it. But you never know! JUST CLICK!

Offline BrandedOne

• Fire Emblem Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2010, 03:00:16 AM »
Sounds good guys.

In case you are wondering, my involvement in the Kingdom Hearts Wiki is to help clear up misconceptions as well as help represent the idea of going the independent.

When i speak with the guys of forming an IWA, i speak with them of what NIWA does, how it works and such. I mention to them that they don't have to follow our model exactly, but then someone mentions how our model works (or at least, some of the parts, of which varies from person to person).

So, I apologize if i am influencing them more than i should be. If you guys think i should, i will scale back my involvement.

You don't need to apologize.  Without your involvement, it would be quite less likely that SEIWA would exist ;D.  What I meant by my last post was that we shouldn't force them or pester them about making certain decisions, they should do it themselves. We can answer questions and clarify the way we do things, but then they can decide how they want to use the information we give them.  In this particular case, it seems the users want to make their own progress, which is ideal.  Now we just sit back and watch while they conduct their revote.

Offline Malake256

• Metroid Wiki Staff
  • It actually glows...
    • View Profile
    • Metroid Wiki Admin
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2010, 03:04:40 AM »
Haha, it's wayyyyyyyy easier to see where NIWA is going if you have access to staff forums ;) NIWA isn't just a hub and a forum. I wish there was a way we could show that without revealing useless info or sensitive info (like a suggested member, but not approved yet)
My Weavile Brick Breaks Blisseys :)

Offline Koroku

• Golden Sun Universe Staff
  • Wikimoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2010, 07:39:37 AM »
Haha, it's wayyyyyyyy easier to see where NIWA is going if you have access to staff forums ;) NIWA isn't just a hub and a forum. I wish there was a way we could show that without revealing useless info or sensitive info (like a suggested member, but not approved yet)
My vision: NIWA becomes completely boggled down in bureaucracy............. and ends up becoming nothing more than a glorified affiliation with big dreams that never come to fruitation.

(Read: I can't be the only non-staff person that is getting sick and tired of hearing the words "staff forum", as it seems everything is discussed behind closed doors. Not quite a "community" but instead a group of wiki owners deciding for everyone...)

Offline Maxite

• Icaruspedia Staff
  • Otaku Nut
    • View Profile
    • OtakuDeus
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2010, 09:16:05 AM »
Maybe NIWA could have "NIWA Staff" beyond Xizor that can have access to those closed door staff forums, and offer those positions to notable board members.

But otherwise, yes, I am getting tired of hearing about the staff forum constantly, and how it supposedly would change the way we see NIWA if regular members could see it. Well, here's the facts:
1. Regular members can't see the staff board
2. Claims require proof

Staff members can claim all they want that "it's a closer knit community on the staff boards", but since that can't be demonstrated to the regular members it has no value and is just a garbage statement (re: spam).

Offline BrandedOne

• Fire Emblem Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2010, 12:10:02 PM »
So basically the reason for this thread is to keep us non-staffers busy speculating while the rest of you know exactly what's going on.  Thanks a bunch.

Offline TurtwigA

• Wiki editor
  • Why must the space not come?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2010, 01:48:16 PM »
Not exactly. No one can tell what's going to happen in a couple years, and I have no idea what is happening soon either.

Please give me internets! So much less bulkier than those eggs.
tg.wikkii.com-My Touch! Generations Wiki
chibirobo.wikkii.com My Chibi-Robo! Wiki

Help spread the word about the word smorent! Definition: [smohrent] adj. fluffy. In a sentence: that bear is very smorent.

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2010, 09:17:20 PM »
My vision: NIWA becomes completely boggled down in bureaucracy............. and ends up becoming nothing more than a glorified affiliation with big dreams that never come to fruitation.

(Read: I can't be the only non-staff person that is getting sick and tired of hearing the words "staff forum", as it seems everything is discussed behind closed doors. Not quite a "community" but instead a group of wiki owners deciding for everyone...)
Maybe NIWA could have "NIWA Staff" beyond Xizor that can have access to those closed door staff forums, and offer those positions to notable board members.

But otherwise, yes, I am getting tired of hearing about the staff forum constantly, and how it supposedly would change the way we see NIWA if regular members could see it. Well, here's the facts:
1. Regular members can't see the staff board
2. Claims require proof

Staff members can claim all they want that "it's a closer knit community on the staff boards", but since that can't be demonstrated to the regular members it has no value and is just a garbage statement (re: spam).
So basically the reason for this thread is to keep us non-staffers busy speculating while the rest of you know exactly what's going on.  Thanks a bunch.

I agree, and it's actually very ironic considering wikis are collaborative projects that are typically open to all.

Offline Garrett

• StrategyWiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2010, 09:55:25 PM »
As someone who has only recently found out about the seeecret forums (I didn't realise I could see them :D) I must point out that they really aren't as elite and exciting as some of you are imagining.

A large part of it is comprised of suggestions (like this thread, but not organised all in one place). Many of the ideas going on there have been discussed in the public boards already (a general Nintendo wiki, SEIWA, etc.) and then simply become more clearly defined in private before the big public reveal of the final product. NintendoWiki is a prime example of this; it was first set up in May, but those months of secret development meant that it was able to launch in a detailed and impressive state.

Holding the wiki membership discussions privately has its advantages as well. Not every proposed member will actually end up joining (for a variety of reasons), so this way people don't get their hopes up about something that might not happen. There's also the added fun of guessing which wiki might be revealed next. :)

Offline BrandedOne

• Fire Emblem Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2010, 10:21:30 PM »
As someone who has only recently found out about the seeecret forums (I didn't realise I could see them :D) I must point out that they really aren't as elite and exciting as some of you are imagining.
Still, the knowledge that what I can see isn't everything irks me.

A large part of it is comprised of suggestions (like this thread, but not organised all in one place). Many of the ideas going on there have been discussed in the public boards already (a general Nintendo wiki, SEIWA, etc.) and then simply become more clearly defined in private before the big public reveal of the final product.
Yeah, I've always wondered - some of those conversations don't seem to get finished on the public boards. Now I understand.

NintendoWiki is a prime example of this; it was first set up in May, but those months of secret development meant that it was able to launch in a detailed and impressive state.
I'm really sorry for saying this, but I don't know that I would call N-wiki's status "detailed and impressive" just quite yet. There's quite a bit of room to grow, though I'm sure it's more impressive now than it would have been in, say, September.

Holding the wiki membership discussions privately has its advantages as well. Not every proposed member will actually end up joining (for a variety of reasons), so this way people don't get their hopes up about something that might not happen.
But I'd still like to know what happened :P. Take Fantendo, for instance.  I've heard nothing beyond the fact that the interaction with them didn't end so well.

There's also the added fun of guessing which wiki might be revealed next. :)
Yes, this exists. However, it's not very hard to guess which one is next. I've predicted correctly almost every time.

Sorry for dissecting your post :(. I suppose it's not a tragedy that we can't see everything, but it gets annoying when you all are like "We can't tell you yet. Teehee ;D".

Offline TurtwigA

• Wiki editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2010, 12:02:04 AM »
Holding the wiki membership discussions privately has its advantages as well. Not every proposed member will actually end up joining (for a variety of reasons), so this way people don't get their hopes up about something that might not happen.
But I'd still like to know what happened :P. Take Fantendo, for instance.  I've heard nothing beyond the fact that the interaction with them didn't end so well.

Maybe you can ask a staff member. I'm pretty sure I can give some things away if they are just not anything major though I'll have to ask before I know I can for sure. You could also do independent research, such as going to Fantendo itself to see what happened.

Help spread the word about the word smorent! Definition: [smohrent] adj. fluffy. In a sentence: that bear is very smorent.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2010, 12:19:30 AM »

So, i guess it's time i reveal my purpose with this thread.

1) Yes, i threw it together to keep you speculating. But not my purpose wasn't to raise peoples hopes for something that would never happen (although, that my happen anyway); my purpose was to create a thread where one could openly say what one hopes happens in the future, without other people saying how they are "looking too far ahead".
2) With the third wave/generation/thing pretty much coming to a close, the excitement of "OMG NEW MEMBER" will soon start to die down. For me, this could means that I now turn my focus to improving the community we currently have, rather than trying to on growing it. Exactly how i i should go about this, i was looking for in your messages. And there were quite a few good ideas.

Anyway, some comments on other things.

A)I am aware there is a divide between the staff and the regular members. A rather big one. And unfortunately, there is little more that i can do then encourage people on one side to participate with other. 

But, at the same time, This is why i choose to be involved on both sides. Your side, because you fans are our primary audience; and the staff side, because i like being helpful.

B) It's good to know i don't have to scale back my involvement with KH and SEIWA.

C) From what I've heard, Fantendo was a spectualur mess. It happened before i joined; and even though I've been staff since October, i still don't know all the details. And in the interest of protecting the innocent, i won't say anything else.

Still, it does prove there is a major communication error on the part of the staff. We need to tell you guys of the ideas that we decline, so we don't leave you in the dark.

D) While i Maybe splitting my focus a little too much here, but I have started to form groups of interested users (such as this one), whose goal(s) is/are to form stronger bonds between the wikis.

If you would like to join one, that's great. I welcome you aboard.

But if instead, you have an idea for a new one, then please tell me. Not that it's required to pass by me, but if you tell me, and i think it's good as well, I will try my best to gather support and related tools to help improve your idea's chances of success.

Offline Maxite

• Icaruspedia Staff
  • Otaku Nut
    • View Profile
    • OtakuDeus
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2010, 12:37:27 AM »
Well I speculate that the community is going to be a bit sore until the staff get their A game on and realize that they created a community with a public face, and that you have to spend some effort in keeping that public face happy. If Xizor is too busy dealing with other matters, then another officer needs to be appointed (or elected) to handle the public face of NIWA in keeping them happy, informed, and organized, as well as getting them involved.

Also tacopill: You use "me" and "I" a lot in your thread. Are you trying to hint at something?

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2010, 01:11:17 AM »
If it's nothing special, then why the secrecy?

NintendoWiki is a prime example of this; it was first set up in May, but those months of secret development meant that it was able to launch in a detailed and impressive state.
It was in an impressive state when it launched, but think of where it could be now if it had been public the six months prior.

Not every proposed member will actually end up joining (for a variety of reasons), so this way people don't get their hopes up about something that might not happen.
Oh.... this may just be NIWA's most valid reason. Thank you NIWA for shielding my fragile heart from the potential disappointments of getting my hopes up...

There's also the added fun of guessing which wiki might be revealed next. :)
but can't this get my hopes up too?!?!  ???

Well I speculate that the community is going to be a bit sore until the staff get their A game on and realize that they created a community with a public face, and that you have to spend some effort in keeping that public face happy.
Yes, especially because a wiki, by nature, relies on its community.

Offline Archaic

• Bulbagarden Webmaster
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bulbagarden
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2010, 02:47:40 AM »
There is a ton of anime related wikis, and getting those to start up their own IWA would be another blow to Wikia and a big claim to fame for our cause. Not only that, but Bulbapedia has an extensive anime section, so they could arguably help set up that IWA.

We intend to. ;)

Offline TurtwigA

• Wiki editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2010, 02:53:06 AM »
If it gets made, would it be called AIWA or ANIWA? Because the latter sounds more like anime or animation.

Offline Archaic

• Bulbagarden Webmaster
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bulbagarden
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2010, 03:02:01 AM »
Probably "AIWA", because I can spin that in Japanese as ?? (Ai wa, "Love is...") or ?? (Ai Wa "Love and Peace"). Would be especially appropriate if I can find an independent Macross wiki to be a founding member, since then it'd be a reference to "Do you remember love?".

Offline Naesala

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2010, 03:04:05 AM »
There is a ton of anime related wikis, and getting those to start up their own IWA would be another blow to Wikia and a big claim to fame for our cause. Not only that, but Bulbapedia has an extensive anime section, so they could arguably help set up that IWA.

We intend to. ;)

would the Kirby and soon to be F-Zero would be part of AIWA?