Author Topic: Suggestions  (Read 235773 times)

Offline Nintendoguy1

• Marioguy1
  • Super Mario Wiki Staff
  • It's a beautiful country.
    • View Profile
    • Userpedia
Re: Suggestions
« Reply #340 on: January 16, 2011, 07:25:43 PM »
I think SmashWiki's coverage is their business; if they want to go more in-depth, it's not up to NIWA to decide. This should be suggested on their forums.

Secondly, a community story is a nice idea, it could be fun, why don't you go to The Lounge board and open up a thread asking people if they want to write a chapter (no use sending it to someone who doesn't want to write).

(see that's why Edofenrir is awesome)

Offline T.W.

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 16, 2011, 10:34:41 PM »
Okay. I understand, but I think you misinterpretted what I meant. I wasn't saying we should change Smashwiki's current status. There is no reason to alter Smashwiki. I was thinking more along the lines of a good wiki about the basic parts of Smash Bros. comes along and wants to join. Of course, they only can if Smashwiki agrees, but this would be for the for the basics as in only information found in the Smash Bros. games. Thinking about it, this might be something better discussed when/if the issue ever comes up.

As far as the story, I'll post a poll where you suggested. It'll be a bit more in depth.

Offline Miles of SmashWiki

• Sinister Trivia Villain
  • SmashWiki Staff
  • "Trying to seem mysterious is my hobby."
    • View Profile
    • AllisBrawl profile
« Reply #342 on: January 16, 2011, 10:44:40 PM »
Okay. I understand, but I think you misinterpretted what I meant. I wasn't saying we should change Smashwiki's current status. There is no reason to alter Smashwiki. I was thinking more along the lines of a good wiki about the basic parts of Smash Bros. comes along and wants to join. Of course, they only can if Smashwiki agrees, but this would be for the for the basics as in only information found in the Smash Bros. games. Thinking about it, this might be something better discussed when/if the issue ever comes up.

I guess I did misunderstand; the more important question to me, though, is why anyone would use that instead of simply skimming over the info they don't care about on SmashWiki as is.

Srsbsns is always lurking (?_?)

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #343 on: January 16, 2011, 11:12:38 PM »

I guess I did misunderstand; the more important question to me, though, is why anyone would use that instead of simply skimming over the info they don't care about on SmashWiki as is.

May i ask, does smash wiki have an "Introduction to Smash Bros." for people who have never played before?

Offline T.W.

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 16, 2011, 11:29:52 PM »

I'm just thinking about the newer players. If you just got into a series, you'd wnat to learn the basics before you learned about the competitive stuff, right? Plus, alot of the terms used are fan terms and things like tiers can get confusing. Especially considering how contriversial they are. Like I said before, I 'm just asking if people would be open to the idea of a second, more basic wiki.

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #345 on: January 16, 2011, 11:34:18 PM »
The terminology is a bit technical at times. Does Smash Wiki have a glossary? That could help.

• SmashWiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • AllisBrawl profile
« Reply #346 on: January 16, 2011, 11:46:54 PM »
What terms in particular are people getting confused by?  (I think defining each term accurately and clearly on its page is better than a glossary.)

Also, regarding an "introduction"... what exactly is there to introduce?

I'm open to adjusting SmashWiki's content to be more beginnner-friendly as well, but I'm gonna need a lot more specifics.

Offline KidIcarus

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 17, 2011, 12:02:33 AM »
This is a paragraph in an article about Pit in SSBB. I understand most of the terms, but I will bold some of the terms that a beginner may not understand.

Pit (Kid Icarus) is a character who can play into many roles. He combines attacks well, can play up front with low lag smashes and multi-hit neutral A moves (though his close up game is impaired by poor range), moves relatively quickly, and has a respectable aerial game. Pit is easily juggled due to being a semi-floaty medium weight, but this also makes him difficult to chaingrab. Unique to Pit are two moves that reflect projectiles - his Mirror Shield which also protects Pit from many attacks, gives him launch resistance while pulling it out and actually turns foes the opposite direction much like Mario's Cape, giving him good gimping capabilities, and his Angel Ring, which is also good for racking up damage. Pit's Palutena's Arrow is a great projectile due to its fast speed, long range, quick start-up time (making it easily spammable), and decent priority. However, it's also easily perfect shielded due to its fast speed, which makes it lose some of its usefulness. Pit has an advanced technique known as Wing Dashing. Pit also has one of the longest recoveries in the game, with three midair jumps, the fastest glide in the game, and an exceptional up special Wings of Icarus. However, should Pit get hit while using Wings of Icarus or attacks out of it, he cannot use it again until he lands onto the ground, grabs a ledge, or (in worst case scenarios) is KO'd. Pit's moves generally have low lag, low knockback, and deal medium damage. This, however, is one of Pit's greatest weaknesses. Due to stale-move negation, continued use of his smashes can make KOing a difficult task, forcing the player to switch to projectile attacks to buff out smashes again. Pit's back aerial is his most powerful attack, which is a solid KO move thanks to its speed. Careful Pit players can maximize his potential, while playing through his weaknesses, but it can be a difficult task.

The "run-on" sentence structure and the length of the paragraph may also add to the "technical-ness" of the section for a beginner.

Offline T.W.

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: January 17, 2011, 12:21:40 AM »
Like I said, I don't think we should change Smashwiki's current status. I also don't think we should just go and create a wiki about official Smash Bros. This is just preparing for a possible eventuallity. I'm one of those people that likes to have a plan in place when something happens.

And what I mean by basic is just official things, such as the website and Smash Bros. games and nothing else. The problem with competitive type games is that line between official and fanmade blurs. What Smashwiki does it does extremely well and I use it often, but my friend who understands AP Chem 10 was completely lost when she saw some of the more technical terms. Honestly, I might have been wrong to bring this up before actually needing a plan. I just thought having a plan set up would be useful.

• SmashWiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • AllisBrawl profile
« Reply #349 on: January 17, 2011, 12:57:53 AM »
This is a paragraph in an article about Pit in SSBB. I understand most of the terms, but I will bold some of the terms that a beginner may not understand.

Pit (Kid Icarus) is a character who can play into many roles. He combines attacks well, can play up front with low lag smashes and multi-hit neutral A moves (though his close up game is impaired by poor range), moves relatively quickly, and has a respectable aerial game. Pit is easily juggled due to being a semi-floaty medium weight, but this also makes him difficult to chaingrab. Unique to Pit are two moves that reflect projectiles - his Mirror Shield which also protects Pit from many attacks, gives him launch resistance while pulling it out and actually turns foes the opposite direction much like Mario's Cape, giving him good gimping capabilities, and his Angel Ring, which is also good for racking up damage. Pit's Palutena's Arrow is a great projectile due to its fast speed, long range, quick start-up time (making it easily spammable), and decent priority. However, it's also easily perfect shielded due to its fast speed, which makes it lose some of its usefulness. Pit has an advanced technique known as Wing Dashing. Pit also has one of the longest recoveries in the game, with three midair jumps, the fastest glide in the game, and an exceptional up special Wings of Icarus. However, should Pit get hit while using Wings of Icarus or attacks out of it, he cannot use it again until he lands onto the ground, grabs a ledge, or (in worst case scenarios) is KO'd. Pit's moves generally have low lag, low knockback, and deal medium damage. This, however, is one of Pit's greatest weaknesses. Due to stale-move negation, continued use of his smashes can make KOing a difficult task, forcing the player to switch to projectile attacks to buff out smashes again. Pit's back aerial is his most powerful attack, which is a solid KO move thanks to its speed. Careful Pit players can maximize his potential, while playing through his weaknesses, but it can be a difficult task.

The "run-on" sentence structure and the length of the paragraph may also add to the "technical-ness" of the section for a beginner.

Oy.  The "Character name (game)" articles all need a re-write, sadly... while they're usually the most-viewed articles, they're also the most densely written, and lots of the edits to them are not exactly great quality.

Offline T.W.

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: January 17, 2011, 02:09:02 PM »
If anyone's interested, I finally made that poll about the community story. Here's the link.

Offline Volatile Dweevil

• Pikmin Fanon Staff
  • Pikipedia Staff
  • I'm known as Volatile Dweevil on all NIWA wikis.
    • View Profile
    • Volatile Dweevil's Website
« Reply #351 on: January 17, 2011, 02:51:55 PM »
I honestly don't have a problem with the "technical" terms. Almost all of them, if not all, have articles on the wiki explaining what they are, and I didn't have trouble figuring what "semi-floaty" and "glide" meant.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #352 on: January 17, 2011, 04:03:05 PM »
I honestly don't have a problem with the "technical" terms. Almost all of them, if not all, have articles on the wiki explaining what they are, and I didn't have trouble figuring what "semi-floaty" and "glide" meant.

Still, "semi-floaty" sounds like a fan-made term more than an official Smash Vocabulary, which can be daunting to new players.

• SmashWiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • AllisBrawl profile
« Reply #353 on: January 17, 2011, 05:04:16 PM »

Still, "semi-floaty" sounds like a fan-made term more than an official Smash Vocabulary, which can be daunting to new players.

The problem is that much of the fan-made terminology existed in the Melee community before there existed a smashbros.com in English to give "official" names for things.  The Melee terms stuck and the DOJO ones did not, so you'll still find "tilt attack" and "tech" instead of "strong attack" and "ukemi".

See also: http://www.ssbwiki.com/SmashWiki:SmashWiki_is_not_official

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #354 on: January 17, 2011, 05:40:55 PM »

The problem is that much of the fan-made terminology existed in the Melee community before there existed a smashbros.com in English to give "official" names for things.  The Melee terms stuck and the DOJO ones did not, so you'll still find "tilt attack" and "tech" instead of "strong attack" and "ukemi".

See also: http://www.ssbwiki.com/SmashWiki:SmashWiki_is_not_official

Ah, that makes sense...

Offline SnorlaxMonster

• Bulbapedia Staff
  • Bulbapedia bureaucrat, Zelda Wiki administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 19, 2011, 02:50:29 AM »
The technical terms should really have links on them to pages describing what they mean. However, I found "glide" pretty blatant without any need for explanation, but if there is a page for it, it should still be linked to.

Offline Nintendoguy1

• Marioguy1
  • Super Mario Wiki Staff
  • It's a beautiful country.
    • View Profile
    • Userpedia
« Reply #356 on: January 19, 2011, 04:14:30 AM »
The technical terms should really have links on them to pages describing what they mean. However, I found "glide" pretty blatant without any need for explanation, but if there is a page for it, it should still be linked to.
All SSB slang terms should have their own articles IMO, a definition as to what they are.

However I don't think it's up to us to decide this. The SSB staff are perfectly capable of making those changes if necessary. We just have to trust them.

(see that's why Edofenrir is awesome)

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #357 on: January 19, 2011, 08:22:02 PM »
All SSB slang terms should have their own articles IMO, a definition as to what they are.

However I don't think it's up to us to decide this. The SSB staff are perfectly capable of making those changes if necessary. We just have to trust them.

Still, we can make recommendations here and there.

• SmashWiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • AllisBrawl profile
« Reply #358 on: January 19, 2011, 11:52:29 PM »

Which ones have you spotted that don't?

Offline Xizor

• Zelda Wiki Bureaucrat
  • Forum Administrator
  • Talk to me. :)
    • View Profile
    • Legend of Zelda.com
« Reply #359 on: January 20, 2011, 12:15:17 AM »
If the Wiki asks for opinions, that's fine. However, nobody here has the authority to tell them how to change an article. You could just go to their Wiki and do it yourself, but if their staff overrules you, then that's that.

Good luck, guys! :)

Bureaucrat of