Author Topic: Speculation time.  (Read 26973 times)

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
Speculation time.
« on: December 10, 2010, 08:32:52 PM »
With the New Year upon us, and NIWA's first anniversary around a corner after that, what do you see in the future for NIWA?

They don't have to be necessarily reasonable, but can't be completely outlandish either.

Offline Naesala

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Speculation time.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 08:33:44 PM »
Contests, with Nintendo stuff as prizes.

Offline Maxite

• Icaruspedia Staff
  • Otaku Nut
    • View Profile
    • OtakuDeus
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 09:06:02 PM »
NIWA buying TV adspace to spread the word.

More seriously, I'd like to see a more coherent community.

Offline BooDestroyer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 09:45:19 PM »
I'd like to see a more coherent community.
This.

Nuff said.

Offline Axiomist

• Retired Staff
    • View Profile
    • WiKirby
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 10:03:24 PM »
I predict:
  • A NIWA Copyleft license, of our own design and terms more fitting of what we do than the current generic licenses
  • More development on mobile skins and apps
  • More crosswiki editing
  • A list of development ideas by us submitted to MediaWiki developers concerning the core software. (like the fact that we need # that symbol in some page titles, and a lesser used one should take the place of the section urls)

Offline R7308xx

• The poison in your drink... whoops.
  • New and, unfortunately, improved.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 10:07:40 PM »
NIWA should be more than just a simple foru. Maybe a store, newsletter, YouTube channel, and podcast?
I blame the economy.

Offline Garlic Man

• Fluent Japanese Speaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 03:37:43 AM »
NIWA will merge with wikia.

Offline R7308xx

• The poison in your drink... whoops.
  • New and, unfortunately, improved.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 03:42:30 AM »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
*shoots himself*
I blame the economy.

Offline Maxite

• Icaruspedia Staff
  • Otaku Nut
    • View Profile
    • OtakuDeus
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 03:44:38 AM »

No, NIWA will turn into the new Wikia. First it'll start with simple requirements on post counts and content, then it'll be requirements on policy, then we'll be enslaving people and throwing the misfits into the lion pit. Tacopill will be instated as Grand Fuhrer and lead us to a glorious new era of oppression and Quality Excellence (TM)! Vive la revolution! Long live the revolution!

Moving on to a more serious note, I predict that NIWA will open up a bit more in terms of what it allows.

Offline Naesala

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 03:46:40 AM »

No, NIWA will turn into the new Wikia. First it'll start with simple requirements on post counts and content, then it'll be requirements on policy, then we'll be enslaving people and throwing the misfits into the lion pit. Tacopill will be instated as Grand Fuhrer and lead us to a glorious new era of oppression and Quality Excellence (TM)! Vive la revolution! Long live the revolution!

Until he gets overthrown by me, and I'll rule you all with a cruel iron fist! Many will be killed!

Offline BrandedOne

• Fire Emblem Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 03:51:03 AM »
I predict:
  • A NIWA Copyleft license, of our own design and terms more fitting of what we do than the current generic licenses
  • More development on mobile skins and apps
  • More crosswiki editing
  • A list of development ideas by us submitted to MediaWiki developers concerning the core software. (like the fact that we need # that symbol in some page titles, and a lesser used one should take the place of the section urls)

All of these.  Plus new members, the continuing development of existing members and stronger connections between the wikis.

Offline Koroku

• Golden Sun Universe Staff
  • Wikimoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 10:21:56 PM »
(like the fact that we need # that symbol in some page titles, and a lesser used one should take the place of the section urls)[/li][/list]
That's not a MediaWiki thing, it's a HTML thing. Nothing they could do about it. :\

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
    • View Profile
    • csanimefan
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2010, 11:43:59 PM »
    (like the fact that we need # that symbol in some page titles, and a lesser used one should take the place of the section urls)[/li][/list]
    That's not a MediaWiki thing, it's a HTML thing. Nothing they could do about it. :\

This is true. # goes to in-page anchors & links.....

See: http://www.faqs.org/qa/qa-6816.html

Offline Garrett

• StrategyWiki Staff
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: December 12, 2010, 12:49:32 AM »
    A NIWA Copyleft license, of our own design and terms more fitting of what we do than the current generic licenses
    What would the benefit of such a license be?

Bear in mind you'd be weighing any benefits against the significant downside of not being able to import CC-by-SA material.

Offline mtn_otter

• Robot, Philosopher, Redneck, Cynic, Psychopath
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: December 12, 2010, 03:31:30 AM »
    I've said this before, but I would like to see NIWA expand into video games in general. With the imminent fall of Wikia, there's too many potentially good non-Nintendo wikis that are about to be orphaned. Then again, my opinion doesn't really matter in this case. If Grand Fuhrer/Kaiser/Emperor/Czar Tacopill(Maxite knows it will happen, at least) wants it that way, it will be that way.
    « Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 03:35:39 AM by mtn_otter »
    As a form of protest, I refuse to make a signature...

Offline Jake

• Nookipedia Staff
    • Nookipedia Director / Server Admin
      • View Profile
      • Nookipedia
    « Reply #15 on: December 12, 2010, 04:05:36 AM »
    I've said this before, but I would like to see NIWA expand into video games in general. With the imminent fall of Wikia, there's too many potentially good non-Nintendo wikis that are about to be orphaned. Then again, my opinion doesn't really matter in this case. If Grand Fuhrer/Kaiser/Emperor/Czar Tacopill(Maxite knows it will happen, at least) wants it that way, it will be that way.
    I think that an independent video game wiki alliance would most likely be formed outside of NIWA. It's true that it could include all the NIWA members, but that doesn't mean that NIWA has to be the one to form such a large alliance. I think that NIWA is doing the best at what it aims to to, which is unite independent Nintendo wikis.

Offline Maxite

• Icaruspedia Staff
    • Otaku Nut
      • View Profile
      • OtakuDeus
    « Reply #16 on: December 12, 2010, 05:30:43 AM »
    Should any alliance of independent wikis form, be it video games of a more expansive "independent wikis" alliance, then I say that NIWA should be involved. Yes, we have our niche, but we should also be supportive of others with similar goals, just as we hope they'd be supportive of us.

Offline tacopill

• Lylat Wiki Staff
      • View Profile
      • csanimefan
    « Reply #17 on: December 12, 2010, 07:48:56 AM »
    my plan, and i hope other's will join/help me in this, is to:

1) help form SEIWA, pending KH Wikia revote.
    2) help Archaic form an inter-IWA organization; with NIWA and SEIWA being it's first members.
    3a) Contact other potential IWA's out there, to see if they would be interested in joining (Including a possible Sega one, and a Rare one).
    3b) Help other IWA's form based on information i have been gathering here on the forums and in skype chats. (Yes, this would include CIWA), and when they are ready, have them join as well.

While i like the thought of NIWA of just opening our arms and inviting every wiki out there to be a member, i also realize that their should be a limit to how big we get and how inclusive we are;

Without some kind of limits in place, in my opinion, our current community would start to marginalize and divide itself, instead of become more united under a common interest.

(Not to mention, could you image what the main page would look like if we had twice or three times as many wiki's? the latter half of the alphabet would hardly get any traffic from here).

Anyway, this is my opinion and plan. What do you think?

Offline BrandedOne

• Fire Emblem Wiki Staff
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: December 12, 2010, 02:49:36 PM »

2) help Archaic form an inter-IWA organization; with NIWA and SEIWA being it's first members.
    3a) Contact other potential IWA's out there, to see if they would be interested in joining (Including a possible Sega one, and a Rare one).
    3b) Help other IWA's form based on information i have been gathering here on the forums and in skype chats. (Yes, this would include CIWA), and when they are ready, have them join as well.

While i like the thought of NIWA of just opening our arms and inviting every wiki out there to be a member, i also realize that their should be a limit to how big we get and how inclusive we are;

Without some kind of limits in place, in my opinion, our current community would start to marginalize and divide itself, instead of become more united under a common interest.

(Not to mention, could you image what the main page would look like if we had twice or three times as many wiki's? the latter half of the alphabet would hardly get any traffic from here).

I support this plan - the only thing is, the forming of other IWA's should be based on the decisions of the wikis that make up the IWA, not an outside influence (us).  Propose the idea to them, then sit back and watch as they make their decision themselves, helping them if they ask for help.  This seems like what we've been doing with KH Wikia, which is good.  Let's make sure we maintain this approach as we continue with this long term project.

Offline Maxite

• Icaruspedia Staff
    • Otaku Nut
      • View Profile
      • OtakuDeus
    « Reply #19 on: December 12, 2010, 05:06:29 PM »

You have my ax!

More seriously (and moving away from LotR memes), it will take a lot of work to get new IWAs up and running. We should also focus more outside of the video gaming realm once we have SEIWA up. There is a ton of anime related wikis, and getting those to start up their own IWA would be another blow to Wikia and a big claim to fame for our cause. Not only that, but Bulbapedia has an extensive anime section, so they could arguably help set up that IWA.
    « Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 05:17:42 PM by Maxite »